Thread: Getting into this delemma ....

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Getting into this delemma ....

Ok, been trying to eliminate this 2k annoying vibration for a while and have done a whole bunch of things with new parts. I guess I would leave the tech side for a while and hop over here for a vent.

The other day my son asked about the problem. He saw I been working on it for quite some time and remain unresolved. He said "Maybe the car is old". I know it, 32 years and 322k miles. I was still hopeful that I will eventually zero into the problem but now still in a puzzle. Few times I thought I got it fixed but turned out to be no. I have a few months before the wife would pressure me to do one way or another. By that time, there will be one car in excess in the family so wife thinks the old Accord should go.

I am up to a point that I'm weighting between continue troubleshooting/keeping or pick a stopping point. Very frustrated with not able to find the cause of the problem. Swapping another A20A3 is out of the question so pretty much have little options for now.

I am not sure but I may ended up give it away to a member here. I cannot comprehend it going to a junk yard.

Sometimes I see an adv for a car that the seller says "many new parts recently installed" and wondering if it actually means "I have tried swapping many parts to solve a problem to no avail".

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Getting into this delemma ....

I can get seriously wrapped around the axle with minor car annoyances. I'll spend inordinate time and energy fighting with things that most people don't even notice. It's not a bad trait. I fix stuff long before it breaks. But I make myself crazy too, and I don't have a wife to kick me in the butt when that happens. I just have to wear myself out.

So take it from me. If you ignore this problem, it will either: 1.) get worse 2.) get better, or 3.) stay the same. If it gets worse, it will be easier to find and fix. Problem solved. If it gets better on its own, problem still solved. If it stays the same, well, you still have a great car, even if it does cause some frustration.

Take a step back. Take a break. Spend some time with the wife. Show her a night on the town. Talk about your feelings. She'll be fine. You'll be fine.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Stepping back is what I'm doing now, at least trying to. But unfortunately the water pump starts leaking and a new one is on its way. I know the water pump is way overdue for a change.

Sometimes I blame myself for not sending the head to a shop when I did the HG job. Maybe the valve guide seal ? Maybe the valve seat ? I blame myself for not doing compression test. Anyway, I need to stop killing myself with this.......

Vehicle
    86 LXi

The conversation about letting which car go came up again. The wife said maybe sell the 07 Civic and put the money into fixing the LXi. Kind of surprise hearing that....

When she asked how much money to fix up the LXi, I said probably a lot - need compression/leak down test to confirm head issue (no tools), then take the head off to a shop for the valve seals/seats/guide seal job, get new head gasket, change all 4 struts, both front lower ball joints, both front axles (have parts already, need to install), frame bushings for front torque bar, new power steering pump or rebuild kit........not sure how much money will be on all these things.

Problem is I have started a family business over a year ago and its doing well. I am busy with the business and having a lot less time for the LXi. I definitely can pay my mechanic friend for these kind of jobs but he doesn't know this car as well as I do.....

Besides, the 07 Civic is in mint condition and low miles and I'm afraid I won't be able to find another if I sell it. So, after mid march, I may have to think about this again if son gets accepted into the master program.