Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 84 Prelude Auto to Manual

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

84 Prelude Auto to Manual

I recently bought an 83 prelude parts car with a manual transmission in it. The motor and transmission have about 130k miles on it. I pulled the motor last weekend and realized there are a few differences between the 83 and 84. One of the differences was the engine code, the '84 being a et2 and the 83 an es1, 2, or 3. Looking through engine parts, the only differences I could see were either in the intake manifold gasket or the exhaust manifold gasket. I'm wondering if the transmission will bolt up to the et2 block. I think it will, but I would like to confirm it here.

The 84 prelude has 50k miles on it. I'm torn on if I should see this project to the end, or just leave it untouched.

My possible plans are rebuilding the es1 motor, and installing a weber carb, or only swap the transmission in there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	9390

LXi User
    Vehicle
    '85 lude

Re: 84 Prelude Auto to Manual

Trans should be the same... The carb ones have smaller axles and flyweel/clutch. Way back when I was broke and crazy I swapped the larger diff into my carb trans and ground down the housing to fit 2.0 axles and flywheel.
    Although, that said, I know 84+ is the same, 83 did have some oddities but I believe you should be fine. I've only ever seen an 83 one time, long ago. The 83 is CVCC, you are not going to want that head.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

I've decided to stick with the motor in the '84. I will probably start working on this project again next week starting with taking the glass out. Then I have to get rid of the parts car so I have room to work.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Here's an update after a few months. I got the transmission rebuilt, and repainted the shift linkage, brackets, pedal assembly, etc. I don't have much pictures. Mostly I've been gathering parts and now I can get going with the project. This weekend I started removing the automatic and ended up getting stuck on the converter plate bolts. I will get that part figured out though.

The only thing I'm not so sure about is the speed sensor and how to re-route the power steering lines. The manual speed sensor has two lines going into it, while the automatic speed sensor has two lines similar to the manual sensor, but just one more larger line. I can't upload a picture of it for some reason though. I know some people bypass that system by looping the lines together, but that won't help with the third line hanging around.

Name:	20190510_105548.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	9580

Name:	20190512_111521.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	9581

Vehicle
    89 Accord LX/B20A | 87 Accord Hatch "S" Stock | 94 Civic Hatch CX

Isn't the larger line just a vent?

http://pages.videotron.com/omus
    3geez member since July 12 2000

I need these parts!
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67742

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

The larger line actually refills the reservoir after reading about it. There is a pump in the speed sensor that reduces steering assist as you gain speed, so I'm thinking the two smaller lines recirculate or reduce pressure somewhere else in the system.

That being said I'll try out using the automatic speed sensor since the one that came off the manual transmission doesn't even have a third line.

The guy who sold me that parts car gave me a shop manual for an '83. Even the speed sensor shown there has 3 lines, so I'm starting to think that speed sensor never belonged to that car anyways. He was having issues with the power steering system's reservoir cap blowing off.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Mine only has 2 lines on the manual trans. I 5 speed swapped it at the end of last year. Maybe it's a Prelude thing but the auto speed sensor that came off my accord only has 2 lines as well and from what I've read are not interchangeable.
    As far as I can tell, the assist reduction is done in the sensor. My evidence is that I swapped the lines by mistake recently when I had to fix my clutch. It would give me no assist at a stop but full on assist at higher speed. Doing 70 and barely touching the wheel was an adventure.
    Are you talking about the post right in the center of the sensor? Cause that's where the speedometer cable goes..
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Name:	20190519_112829.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	9584

Whenever I take a picture of the speed sensor in my car it will not upload on this site.

I did take a picture of what it looks like in the shop manual, and its the same.

Yes, in the picture attached before is the hole for the cable.

Vehicle

I've never seen one with three lines like that. Funky.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Well got all the bolts out of the crank today. Then I looked at my parts and the clutch pilot bearing fits on the transmissions output shaft, but does not go into the flywheel. Grr... The ID on my flywheel is 0.750... and not 1.260 like the bearing OD. Was wondering if anyone has dealt with this before. I may just make a bushing out of bronze or some other soft metal and send it.

Also working on searching around too.

EDIT:

After searching these cars do not use pilot bearings. They use bushings. I found a part number on NAPA that matches the OD and ID that I need, so no need to turn one. yay.
    Last edited by rileyh; 05-25-2019 at 12:16 PM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Project is dead. '83 transmission does not bolt up to an '84 block.

I seriously doubt i will be able to find a transmission for an ET2 block.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Why not have an adapter plate fabbed up?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

I'd really prefer that to be the last resort. But yes, it is possible. I would definitely outsource that job though.

Vehicle

What about using the 84 bellhousing on the 83 gearbox?

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Its possible, its just a matter of getting my hands on one. Out of all the yards I called, no one has a transmission. Might have to go farther than my local ones. I did see a motor on ebay but I asked the seller some questions and he hasn't gotten back to me. May be a riskier option there. I'll keep hunting locally.

My other option is taking this non-running car with the right transmission, but I don't want to take on another parts car.

I'm sure one will come up eventually.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Have you used Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to search all the junkyards around your area.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

OOF. There's literally a local junkyard that I did not call that popped up on that list from car-part.com. The three junkyards within 15 miles to me just throw these cars away...

I already ordered a JDM engine and transmission and it should be here next week. I shouldn't have to rebuild this one...

It would have probably came out to the same price if I just got a transmission from a junkyard. Oh well.

Vehicle

Same with yards around here. Hilltop, which is a big Honda/Acura yard, doesn't even have any older than 1990.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Good news, the motor and transmission I bought a week ago were in good condition. The transmission bolted up and everything is mounted correctly. I'm going to be turning some bushings for the shift fork where the linkage bolts on tomorrow. The rest that's left to do for this swap is to install the pedal assembly, wiring the reverse lights, and neutral safety switch.

Then putting the car back together will be fun : )

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

The car is mostly all put back together. The automatic driver side axle does not seal up at the transmission. I took the seal off of the old automatic and noticed the ID was smaller than the ID on the manual seal. Now I have to wait around for another CV axle... The first one I ordered months ago didn't even pivot around so I returned it.

Guess this project will be done next week.

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

Ok well I'm almost done, but now I've got more problems in the way.

First, the starter is not engaging with the flywheel. I'll have to pull it out and see if its popping out, and if it does I'm big time screwed.

Next, the reverse lights are always on, even if the switch is plugged in. At least I got the wiring for the starter correct... maybe. I didn't have access to a multimeter to do further troubleshooting than that.

What I did for the wiring was solder the thick black wires, and the green wires together. This connector was at the automatic shifter.

Its always something isn't it...

Vehicle

There are two wires right next each other in the plug. A yellow and green/black stripe. If your looking at the connector on the side the wires come out, they are the 2nd and 3rd on the bottom row going left to right. Pull those two out and separate them. Everything else gets bound together. Those two are the wires for the reverse lights.
    I did the same thing when I swapped mine, reverse lights stayed on.

Vehicle

This is what mine looks like. My reverse light dont work because I have those two wire separated and just never got around to wiring them to the switch on the trans lol
    https://imgur.com/a/lzYl17U

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Is there a special MT starter for those like there is for the Accord?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User
    Vehicle
    84 Honda Prelude

All the bolt patterns are the same, and part numbers on 2 of the starters I have are the same. I will have time to work on this car by Thursday, or I can try to work some time in during the days before that.