Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: 87 DX Sedan Project Log

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: 87 DX Sedan Project Log

So Ive been driving the car lately. The rear control arm bushings really had me in a bind for a bit. Cam bolts for toe adjustments had to be replaced with oem Honda bolts... which do not actually fit and I have to use a washer to keep the nut from bottoming on the shank. Slapped some new adjusters in the drum brakes aaand I noticed there was practically no wear on my drums. Turns out the wheel cylinders I replaced got the pistons cocked in the bores, so they didn't really move. God drums suck. Whatever, my brake pedal is slightly less sketchy and the parking brake works awesome. I haven't driven it hard recently to see if the brakes feel ok going into a corner, I really don't expect them to be very good until I change the prop valve.

It is getting put back up for a couple days for a health checkup because I think it left another damn spot on my driveway even though it didn't leak a single drop while it was up on stands. I also need to give it an actual alignment before I give myself a reason to buy tires.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Here are the oem bolts I got for the rear subframe.
    Top is the eccentric bolts that are too long
    Bottom is the bolts that hold the long control arm in the subframe.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210114_172037.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	10575
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210114_172103.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	10576
    Last edited by ShiRen; 01-15-2021 at 06:47 AM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The winter has not been kind to my Accord. First my grandpa put the bucket of his front loader tractor into my tail light while scraping my driveway, but I popped the hood yesterday and found out that I have a coolantcicle inside my radiator... Fuck. Dunno how I am going to get it into my garage to thaw, hopefully by the time I am able to get to it next week it will have been warm enough to thaw it enough to get it in there. I hope it doesn't require open heart surgery, or worse, a new radiator, but I don't see that it burst anywhere. I really, really hate the cooling system in this car, it sucks balls. Wondering if I should convert it to an electric water pump, then a thermostat housing will be next on the list. I will need to evaluate how well the coolant flows through the head and see if anything needs redirected.

Does anyone have pictures of the block with the water pump off?

I have electricity in my garage now, I am getting married this sunday, within a month I should be able to really get the ball rolling getting some work done on this car if the freeze doesn't set me back. I wish I could have just drove it this winter because its terrifying driving a ctr in a foot of snow, even if the traction control is fantastic, but I can't tell if I killed my water pump again on the Accord and it tracks like a wet noodle on ice, its getting Blizzaks next year.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Ah HAH married!

Well hope the Accords not froze up totally. The only car I froze up I just started it and ran for like 30 secs and let it sit a few minutes until it thawed out. Might have to slip the belt off the water pump if its locked.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yep, getting married on our birthday... happened real fast too, next thing I know I'll be retired at this rate.

I think its going to warm up a bit, maybe it will turn over. Gonna be real hard to just let it sit and idle lol, she does not like this cold, was just getting started on my megajolt to fix that too.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

open the hood get some sunshine on it. Just run it 30 seconds at a time and let it sit a few minutes,you might have to do that 20 times. maybe warm up some coolant in the house and try adding it to the radiator to help defrost everything. Just hope the freeze plugs havent popped.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Im honestly more concerned about the radiator than the freeze plugs lol, if I have to pull the engine again Ill just do a few "while I'm in there" jobs... tbf, this car is a never ending "while I'm in there" I just do one thing and drive it half ass taken apart for several months.

I'll dig into it real soon, its pretty nice out and the snow has melted off the hood.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    tbf, this car is a never ending "while I'm in there" I just do one thing and drive it half ass taken apart for several months.
    He thinks this makes him special lol. All the passenger side trim is missing from mine presently.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Ah nah, its good to know I'm not alone. And now I'm not so jealous that your car looks nice now that I know that it has an ugly side... just don't put it next to mine, I try to block out how damn ugly my car is.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Good news! The "water pump leak" I thought I had was actually the cam seal that I could pull out with my fingers! It only took me 3 weeks and 30mins of actually working on the car to change, gosh I'd change 5 of those before I'd change 1 water pump. In other news I replaced my blinker stalk since the old one broke off, had to rewire it for my DRLs and headlight relays, also found out the reason my right headlight was not working was it was not plugged in... Silly me. I drove it to work today... How long do you give me before I take it apart and wait a month to put it back together again? I still haven't aligned the damn thing even.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 03-24-2021 at 06:55 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

LOL. If it weren't a project, it wouldn't be fun. Glad you got it running, for now.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I have lights, a HUGE workbench in my garage now (3 4x8 sheets of plywood), and a wife to help me keep my shit picked up, so hopefully progress actually starts moving on projects once they get pulled in there. We will see, I still have a miata with the from of the engine pulled off sitting in there, and the donor car which will need cut up with a grinder and the engine pulled before it is yanked out of its resting place with a roll back. I keep offering my wife to drive that car but she keeps saying no

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You have to restore the car BEFORE offering it to her to drive lol.

Good luck with the projects.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

She called my brown car ugly so she should be grateful of my offer no matter how much scrap Ive filled the other car with and no matter how many parts Ive vultured off it!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Its been a year, but don't worry I have not abandoned the accord, in fact I am fixing it up to daily as I plan to sell my type R. Life is happening fast, I am moving and going back to school in a couple months, so that is my deadline. There is a lot of work ahead, but I don't think its too much because I am getting some help. It went under the knife last year to fit the new suspension and redo the brakes, but that is all changed. Here is the todo list now:
    Prelude control arms - done
    Lower control arms - done
    Poly strut rod bushings - done
    Front wheel bearings - done
    Front ball joints - done
    Fully depowered and rebuilt steering rack - done
    Civic tie rods - done
    Rear wheel bearings - not yet
    Stripped and cleaned interior - done
    Brake lines - removed but not installed
    Wilwood master cylinder - mounted
    Wilwood prop valve - still figuring out where to put it
    Heater core - replaced
    New fuel tank - soon to be replaced
    Dash wiring - I don't want to think about it
    Rust - I don't want to think about that either, but I will be getting help
    Cam seal - needs hondabond

My wife is also going to help be with the interior when it goes back together, it will look pretty nice when its done. As for the rust, when I pulled the interior I found large holes where the rear seat pan meets the fenders, not much on the floor pan, but a bit where it meets the rockers... which might be a creative fix. I am wondering if it is viable to remove the rockers and put back in a stiffener and use 5th/6th gen civic side skirts to cover up the area.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

If you have been wondering what has been going on with this turd...

Since I moved in July the car has been sitting, but winter break gives me a chance to fix this crap. So, let's see how far we get in the next few weeks.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    If you have been wondering what has been going on with this turd...

Since I moved in July the car has been sitting, but winter break gives me a chance to fix this crap. So, let's see how far we get in the next few weeks.
    Thats alot of work man...Good luck!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The big holes were filled before Christmas. Some of the smaller holes near the rockers I will probably just fill with seam sealer. I think the plan for the rockers is to replace them with a heavily bolted on piece of tubing and then put on 4g skirts over top... Maintaining or improving the structure is important, but it's so hard to weld on this thing, the metal is so thin and there is a lot of layers, blowing holes is bound to happen

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

This week I started the plumbing (fuel and brakes). This is because the holes around the rear seat meant removing the tank and also I have a new wilwood master and prop valve, so front/rear split, all new brake lines, that is much easier done with the tank out of the way. So after all this I can put the tank back in and some of the interior will go back in. I am also installing a fuel return line, which has become a necessity after I broke the fuel pump trying to get a look at the strainer. Will post some pics of it before it goes together.

Now, I would just like to rant how freaking long plumbing takes... And I'm not even done after 2 days. I have everything done down to the rear tee, I even have the fuel return done. The fuel return was especially fun because I am using 5/16 stainless... It is so damn hard to work, can't even bend it with a bender because it's too stiff to work with the line in place, I only use it for tight bends and when I absolutely had to take it out of the car (to flare an end or cut to length). I've found that leveraging on it is the way to go, or if it's out of the car I bend it against my foot because I hate the bender. Stark contrast from the 3/16 stainless brake lines which bend nicely, stays straight, doesn't crush, doesn't work harden, and I can use my squeeze bender.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Well. I got a lot done this week. No progress on the rust, but the car is fully plumbed, has seats, and the obx header is welded.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I, uh, shortened the clutch throw. It's not a very elegant solution and the cable is going to do some breaking in, but it got what I wanted

I replaced the dampener block thing, that probably does next to nothing, and replaced it with a plate with some tubes for the cable. This ended up being a little too low and the clutch cable was not long enough, but that was fixed by flipping the bracket. Like I said, it's not pretty, but for some reason my car had to have its clutch at the very top of it's adjustment and it took the full throw to disengage the clutch. This at least fixes that and I put the pedal right where I wanted it, it still pulls as far as possible, so I will find out the true bottom and make an adjustable stop to that point, so the throw distance will be minimized. This also adds some weight to the clutch, which is welcome, still feels terrible compared to a hydraulic, but it doesn't feel lifeless

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

BADA-BING

Civic/Integra poly trailing arm bushings installed. Involved leaving the outside metal portion of the OEM bushing, turning down the bushings, then turning a new center slug. These energy suspension bushings are probably about the only option to use this way, and rubber doesn't turn on a lathe very well lol, but they're only like $30 anyway. Still, most important bushing on the whole car, done and dusted.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Bushing looks great!.

You bent the tab that the clutch cable adjuster rides on correct? Otherwise its bent!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yeah the clutch cable bracket it sub optimal, but it feels great after setting the stops for the pedal. It's a temporary bracket, aka permanent. Might get a b series trans before it gets a new bracket lol.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

BADA-BOOM