Thread: how to check ecu codes?

Vehicle
    89 LX-i 5 speed

how to check ecu codes?

i was wondering how would i check the codes on the ecu? like i know there are readers out there but i have never found one for our car?

Vehicle
    85 Suburban, 86 Accord EX-i, 89 Accord SE-i, 90 Accord EX-R,
    Under the driver's side seat (looking from the back) there's a little tab you can pop off and you'll see the LED from the ECU. If the car is throwing a code, you'll see the LED flash a number of times. Then check in the FAQ section on what each code means.
    www.b20accord.com

What is the exact procedure for "forcing" the ECU to generate the codes? For example, on FoMoCo, you short a few terminals on the connector jack. I just went and checked my 88 4dr Accord LX and found no codes, starting the car or otherwise.

I just bought the car, $1500, 132k, 5spd, LX, runs good but it has its issues. Sorry but I don't have any literature on the car yet, so this is pretty much my only source of info. I've looked at most of the FAQ's, read a lot of material, and hope not to ask for information already handed out too often. I've read the FAQ on the codes, I just need to know if there is anything I need to do to make the unit dish out the errors, or if it just sits there and whines until it can't anymore. ;-)

Thanks folks, glad to finally be a Honda owner. It's the daily beater, but it is hopefully perfect for that job.
    Goat Jesus

SEi User
    Vehicle
    88 lxi coupe
    You'll see the check engine light on the dash light up when there's some problem. Then you check under the seat for the code which will remain until you fix the problem.
    But ascender you have an LX, no ecu for you.

Very well. Was hoping there would be some ECU, there is a box under there. I've got some stuttering/idle issues I think are likely carb related.
    Goat Jesus