Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Warm restart issue

Vehicle
    '89 SE-I Sedan "Moonbey" 141k

Re: Warm restart issue

I've checked the ECM it hasnt been throwing a code ever, running or not.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Ok
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yeah, change the injectors. If they are dribbling into the manifold it will cause exactly what you're showing. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why I ultimately replaced mine. It was flooding out on warm restarts. By morning all the gas has evaporated (or run down into the crankcase, doh), so you have a clean first start.

The main relay almost a maintenance item at this point. Replace it just to be sure. Resoldering is a jury rig at best and won't work if the relays inside it are failing. It's a $50 part + 1 hour of profuse swearing under the dash, then you're done for another 50k miles or so.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Yeah, change the injectors. If they are dribbling into the manifold it will cause exactly what you're showing. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's why I ultimately replaced mine. It was flooding out on warm restarts. By morning all the gas has evaporated (or run down into the crankcase, doh), so you have a clean first start.

The main relay almost a maintenance item at this point. Replace it just to be sure. Resoldering is a jury rig at best and won't work if the relays inside it are failing. It's a $50 part + 1 hour of profuse swearing under the dash, then you're done for another 50k miles or so.
    Okay thanks. I just wasted even more money changing the injectors because it did not fix the issue, what confuses me and has me even more frustrated is how can the main relay be the issue when the temperature of the inside of the car remains the same (cold) but the engine is hot? I have read where the interior will get hot and then the car wont start for the main relay or am i just reading something wrong? I am sick and tired of dumping money into things that " might" do the trick when they have done literally nothing. I'm not mad at anyone but myself here lol just in case anyone took that to heart. I'm trying to get this thing out of its shitbox status and more of a car meet car, something that i don't have to unplug the fuel pump to get it to run when warm. I'm hoping to get some concrete answers on this, you guys have been around these chariots longer than I have and im hoping you could pass down some of that wisdom. thanks.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

To be fair, the parts you are replacing are 30 years old, it is not in vain

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

These cars teach you to test and diagnose issues before replacing parts. Have you tried using resisters to rule out the TW sensor yet.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    Okay thanks. I just wasted even more money changing the injectors because it did not fix the issue, what confuses me and has me even more frustrated is how can the main relay be the issue when the temperature of the inside of the car remains the same (cold) but the engine is hot? I have read where the interior will get hot and then the car wont start for the main relay or am i just reading something wrong? I am sick and tired of dumping money into things that " might" do the trick when they have done literally nothing. I'm not mad at anyone but myself here lol just in case anyone took that to heart. I'm trying to get this thing out of its shitbox status and more of a car meet car, something that i don't have to unplug the fuel pump to get it to run when warm. I'm hoping to get some concrete answers on this, you guys have been around these chariots longer than I have and im hoping you could pass down some of that wisdom. thanks.
    The injectors you replaced were leaking pretty bad and needed replacing so I dont see it as a loss. Leaking fuel right near spark,heat etc never a good thing long term.

I updated the TW sensor thread in the EFI section with copy of the Helms manual troubleshooting guide.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Interesting development, unplugging the green which if im not mistaken is the TW sensor makes the car run like trash cold. I unplugged the white one just now that is next to it and it threw a code. Code 10 to be exact. which doesnt make sense because that is for an intake temperature sensor. I thought that was located elsewhere in the engine bay. ill post a video here in a second.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Looking at some of the pictures over the years it seems the sensors positions are potentially swaped different years. Just to make it more confusing.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

https://youtu.be/s-j8ZdIc7HE This thing runs like new with it unplugged. give that a watch.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

OK very weird.

Your intake temp sensor is on the intake manifold right near the brake master cylinder. There will be a mess of vacuum lines there too.

The Honda ECU codes carry over for years with the TW sensor being 6. I cant really see it being a different make or model problem.

EDIT: Did you ohm it out the TW sensor and see what you get cold and fully warmed up?

I would always pay attention to what the book calls out for the WIRE color first, then the plug color, and then the color of the sensor.

They way the sensor works as the car gets hotter i forces the car to run richer. So like in my case once my car was over heating my air fuel ratio was 9 to1. helps protect the motor in a ham fisted sorta way.

Hope that helps in anyway.
    Last edited by Oldblueaccord; 10-21-2020 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Edited for a clearer response.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

EDIT: This post was an answer to another poster thread got spun off.

Dude, cool your head. You're commenting on 5 different old threads the op will probably never come back to comment on. It a lot easier to help you if you just made your own thread. And you're looking at way too many variables. It sounds like nothing is wrong with your battery. If it's turning over strong it's good enough to fire the plugs, old ignition coil systems do not pull a lot of current, you will hear the starter have trouble long before your ignition stops putting out a spark. If you legitimately don't have a spark the first places to look are the ignition coil and the ignitor. And your battery voltage drops while your starter is turning because resistance in a battery increases as current load is applied, it's what determines the maximum current output of a battery, and why lithium ion batteries are more potent at the same voltage.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Dude, cool your head. You're commenting on 5 different old threads the op will probably never come back to comment on. It a lot easier to help you if you just made your own thread. And you're looking at way too many variables. It sounds like nothing is wrong with your battery. If it's turning over strong it's good enough to fire the plugs, old ignition coil systems do not pull a lot of current, you will hear the starter have trouble long before your ignition stops putting out a spark. If you legitimately don't have a spark the first places to look are the ignition coil and the ignitor. And your battery voltage drops while your starter is turning because resistance in a battery increases as current load is applied, it's what determines the maximum current output of a battery, and why lithium ion batteries are more potent at the same voltage.
    Ill start him a thread when I get home....never gets old.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Jesus lol. Didnt have to be an asshole about it. Bro acts like I did when I was 16. Doesn't want to be steered straight, only wants to defeat systems, doesn't even test or replace the current parts he was expecting.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I took care of it.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I saw that

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I saw that
    I got my 17 dollar brake caliper to try out tonight!!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Oh boy, what are we trying out now?

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Dang you dont watch my videos? Thats my retirement!

My caliper is stuck I got a "new" one.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Damn you hurt my feelings more than being called a punk lol from some one thats half my age.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

😂 fine FINE I subbed. I had only watched most of the ones you posted as a response lol.

Boy, you're really living it up with that $1.50 a month YouTube retirement

Vehicle
    88 LXi

120 SUBS!

Man Im gonna buy you a candy bar for that thanks! im teared up a little.

So you cracked the code on the drum brake to disc deal!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Woah woah if you buy me a candy bar that will be your whole months salary, I couldn't take that from you!

Yeah calipers fit pretty good if you just cut the old mount off lol. They're still not done though, I have to weld, paint, assemble, plumb, and bleed them before an inspection at 2 tomorrow

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Inspection? Oh boy. we got none of that here
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

It's very loose here, especially in small towns... It's going in with no dash even