Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Conozo's Daily Driver Adventures

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Re: Conozo's Daily Driver Adventures

What's cruise control???
    Just did 1900 miles to Texas and back with no cruise, no a/c, and this thing loud as hell. Fuck, it was fun though =D
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I'm not denying it was fun but cruise would help me keep my speeds in check. I often find my self speeding. Passed several cops going 7-10 over. Surprised they didn't pull me over.
    This car is a speed demon for some reason, it's quite easy to go 100, I do it weekly.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Most cops and troopers wont bother with up to 10 over... it's when you're doing 15 over they get upset.
    I say most cause there are some who will, especially around the end of the month.
    I had to do a double take when I hit Texas and saw the 75mph speed limit sign lol

Vehicle

Here in northern Indiana and Ohio they will pull you over for going more than 5 over. In Indiana we have many 4 lane divided highways where the speed limit is 55mph which always seems agonizingly slow when you come from other states where there are hills and curves with 70mph speed limits.

I'm going to do an experiment since my other car is an insight that can get 95mpg I'm going to see what I can get on the accord on this tank. I'm shooting for 40mpg. Currently my best is 33.5mpg and that was just all highway and not trying to get good mpg.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

I was happy I averaged 28mpg on the Texas trip lol. I expected less.

Vehicle

I tried to get good gas mileage but got 34mpg which is good but considering how different I was driving it was surprising. So I guess I'll just continue to drive it like I stole it.

I forgot to post yesterday that it was my cars happy adoption date. 31 years ago my dad purchased it. I wish I could figure out the exact manufacturer date but it doesn't seem to be coded into the window sticker. It only says September 88 on the door Vin tag.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Happy birthday!

I've had the same thing happen to me. If I drive very conservative, the mileage is underwhelming. I don't know why that is, but it's a convenient excuse. LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Haha, mine drinks gas no matter what now.

Vehicle

I had something amazing happen yesterday. When i was starting my car yesterday it sounded awful, a metallic grinding noise and it got worse the more i started it throughout the day. It was so bad that i even left the car on while i went in for a computer repair job because I didn't have enough room to push start it where it was parked. So the amazing part was that, at 8:30PM i called up the closest AutoZone and asked if they had a starter and they didn't but mentioned that the next closest store in town has one in stock. Amazing! I went and got it and installed it in about 30 minutes, car starts fine now. The old starter was the original Honda starter, had a good run till it exploded.

Also recently upgraded the ground wire that goes to the valve cover. Now my left headlight works and the turn signals work when the headlights are on without spazzing out. I still may move that ground to a better bolt, i just don't like where it is, small contact areas to the sheet metal.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Press F to pay respects to our fallen starter brother.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

F

@conozo: I moved that ground wire to the shock tower and it's working well.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I think the valve cover ground needs an xtra washer because you can bottom out the original acorn nut nut the wire wont be tight. Also the last set of grommets I got were plated so I ground off the plating as well. Dielectric grease on everything of course.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Think all the grounds on these cars need upgraded. I had an issue a while back with the battery terminal, ran a new wire to the shock tower from the negative terminal and never had a problem since.
    Still need to get my signals working though...

Vehicle

I may have to bust out the 2000 Honda Insight for a couple weeks while i get the accord ready for the winter. I need to put the new dash in so i can put the heater controls in. But along with that includes some rust repair, welding on the firewall. Remove the sound deadening behind the firewall and add new sound deadening material. I will replace the AC evaporator in prep for the AC system install next summer and get rid of my mechanical oil pressure guage and replace it with an electric one. My mechanical autometer one is very noisy even though i bled all the air out of the line. I'm debating weather to cleanup the wiring since im going to keep my car with manual windows, locks, mirrors, no sunroof so i can remove about half of those wires and dangling plugs under the dash from the LXI wiring harness.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I hear you. I'm sitting on a big pile of deferred maintenance myself. Have fun with the repairs.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Holla if you want to sell that mechanical gauge😀
    Last edited by InAccordance; 11-10-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Vehicle

Other news. I finally found all the parts and fixed my Insight yesterday. I hit a deer in it 8 months ago and it took that long to find a headlight, fender, door and a few other clips and screws. I was searching over the entire US and drove many hours to pickup parts. I'm going to drive it for a few weeks to make sure it's in good working order then sell it.

Let me tell you, I am never owing another rare car again. They sold this car for 6 years and only sold around 16,000 units worldwide. They are 20 years old but the real problem is that since they were so uncommon in the first place, parts were never made for them. You may be thinking our 3geez are rare but they actually sold a ton of them new, manufacturers actually made replacement parts. It's so much easier to find parts for the accord compared to the insight there is no comparison believe it or not.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I been wanting a Dodge Viper Gen 4 or gen 5 for a while but shopping around and research its a low production hand built car and parts are very hard to get even for the newest gen 5's. Its one of the reason I went with Camaro is they are everywhere and the warranty. Im got tired of working on my cars where I got to make every part or search for 6 months for something.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Amen. It's alright on your once-a-year classic, but not on a daily driver.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Haven't done much to the accord lately. But I've been looking at it and researching a few things as it needs a bit of TLC to make it winter worthy and driveway worthy.

This summer i drove about 14,000 miles or so on it. Didn't really do anything to it, just drove it. My power steering bit the bullet early on, it leaked from everywhere, everywhere on the rack and pump itself. So I've been thinking about it. I really didn't mind not having power steering, sure it would be nice, but i want to try an experiment. I will be removing the power steering pump, lines, and rack to modify into a manual rack. I'll be taking the rack apart to remove the chambers (not sure what to call them) to remove all the resistance and remove any need for fluid. It will simply be greased and sealed like a manual rack. I would drive the car like that for a while till i figure out the next part which is electric assist. I have seen people use a Gen II Prius power steering to replace their steering column to get electric power assist. The Prius unit would be powerful enough for this car, it only needs a positive and ground for power and it runs in safe mode without the Prius ECU but still gives assist as normal.

2nd issue is oil leaks, it looks like i have blow by but i haven't done an compression test to confirm but it leaks a lot of oil so i am also wondering if its caused by a non working PCV system. I would like to rip it all out and replace it completely. I have a feeling the baffle box is full of gooey oil and blocking all flow.

3rd more minor issue is cruise control, as mentioned above i want to abandon the factory system and put the aftermarket system that runs off the pulse generator. The aftermarket system is much smaller and would be more reliable. I would make it work with the factory buttons on the dash and steering wheel.

4th issue, after starting the car the end of the fuel rail where the fuel pressure regulator is leaks fuel like a mofo. I have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with a gauge and its reading correctly so im not sure if it a loose connection or if its something more serious like a partially clogged fuel return line or something else. I really don't have a clue on that one at all but it does leak pretty bad for the first half a minute of driving.

In general as mentioned before i want to make the car as light weight as possible but keep it functioning which is part of the reasoning for switching the power steering system. I'll be keeping all the power steering parts just in case i want to put it back and it really doesn't work out.
    Last edited by conozo; 01-19-2020 at 07:39 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The trouble with those electric PS units is they come with a giant motor attached. You have to find a space to stash it under the car or under the dash. If you put it under the car, you'll be grinding and welding. I haven't looked under the dash too much but there's a lot going on under there. Keep us posted on what you figure out. I'm definitely interested.

The PCV system flows pretty well so l don't see it clogging, but who knows. I'd be more suspicious of old leaky seals.

Cruise control is a common add on for classic cars. You shouldn't have too much trouble making it work. Summit has kits for ~$200. That's money well spent IMO.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Did some things today. Weight reduction. I removed the power steering pump and all the lines and removed the cruise control. Is was a very messy job, that power steering rack had leaked everywhere and on everything, it was a mess. There was pretty much no fluid in it at all. im going to drive it like this just for a little bit just to see if its any different than with the pump installed. Then ill remove the rack and replace the seals and convert it to a manual rack thats sealed up with good grease.
    Before

After

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Haven't done much to the accord lately. But I've been looking at it and researching a few things as it needs a bit of TLC to make it winter worthy and driveway worthy.

This summer i drove about 14,000 miles or so on it. Didn't really do anything to it, just drove it. My power steering bit the bullet early on, it leaked from everywhere, everywhere on the rack and pump itself. So I've been thinking about it. I really didn't mind not having power steering, sure it would be nice, but i want to try an experiment. I will be removing the power steering pump, lines, and rack to modify into a manual rack. I'll be taking the rack apart to remove the chambers (not sure what to call them) to remove all the resistance and remove any need for fluid. It will simply be greased and sealed like a manual rack. I would drive the car like that for a while till i figure out the next part which is electric assist. I have seen people use a Gen II Prius power steering to replace their steering column to get electric power assist. The Prius unit would be powerful enough for this car, it only needs a positive and ground for power and it runs in safe mode without the Prius ECU but still gives assist as normal.

2nd issue is oil leaks, it looks like i have blow by but i haven't done an compression test to confirm but it leaks a lot of oil so i am also wondering if its caused by a non working PCV system. I would like to rip it all out and replace it completely. I have a feeling the baffle box is full of gooey oil and blocking all flow.

3rd more minor issue is cruise control, as mentioned above i want to abandon the factory system and put the aftermarket system that runs off the pulse generator. The aftermarket system is much smaller and would be more reliable. I would make it work with the factory buttons on the dash and steering wheel.

4th issue, after starting the car the end of the fuel rail where the fuel pressure regulator is leaks fuel like a mofo. I have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator with a gauge and its reading correctly so im not sure if it a loose connection or if its something more serious like a partially clogged fuel return line or something else. I really don't have a clue on that one at all but it does leak pretty bad for the first half a minute of driving.

In general as mentioned before i want to make the car as light weight as possible but keep it functioning which is part of the reasoning for switching the power steering system. I'll be keeping all the power steering parts just in case i want to put it back and it really doesn't work out.
    My friend with his Cobra kit car uses the Pirius gear boxes he really likes it. If you have any questions lemme know.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Did some driving last week. The old Honda saved my life. Wednesday I was driving my Insight the I decided to switch it up, dropped the car off at home to use the Accord the rest of the day. I was on the highway with the Accord just starting to merge off to an off ramp and there was a Ford Escape coming right at me going the wrong way. We were both probably going 60mph. When I saw the car I wasn't exactly sure which way to swerve because I didn't know if this person was doing this on accident or if they were on a suicide mission, that thought was in a split second. I locked up all 4 tires for a split second and swerved to the right just avoiding the car. There was a car behind me by a bit, he went off in the grass and stopped. The off ramp goes down a hill so I couldn't see them for long but looked in my mirror but never saw them stop or move over. There was no way I could have moved out of the way if I were driving the Insight, it just doesn't handle like the Accord at those speeds. Thats probably the 5th time in my life I have avoided an accident from driving such a well handling car. Oh and driving without the power steering pump was not an issue at all, that was a real test.

On another note, after removing my non working cruise control my bouncy idle has disappeared. It must have had a vacuum leak in it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Eek! Glad you're okay. Please be safe out there.
    Dr_Snooz