Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Conozo's Daily Driver Adventures

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Conozo's Daily Driver Adventures

Ok, I am 90% sure I have excessive blowby. It leaks oil from every gasket and seal top to bottom of the engine. You can feel it when opening the oil fill cap and I'm loosing about a half a quart every 500 miles now. I don't think I'm burning much.

What can I do to test and figure this out. This is supposedly a new engine but had some cold starts after it sat for 3-4 years. The performance seems really good, pcv valve is fine, has plenty of power and doesn't smoke. I'll do a compression test and maybe get a boroscope to look at the cylinder walls but other than tearing it down to see if my piston oil rings are stuck I don't know.

Edit. One positive note the car has had no additional rust this winter because of the new coat of oil on the underbody everyone I drive.
    Last edited by conozo; 03-26-2020 at 06:45 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Cylinder leak down test will tell you what you need. A vacuum gauge might also be useful. I'd start with the vacuum gauge.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

I purchased a leakdown tester and a boroscope the other day. When checking the engine cylinders 1,3,4 had no leaks but cylinder 2 had about 25% leak. So then i connected the air compressor to the cylinder and it was definitely leaking down into the crankcase. A look with the boroscope in that cylinder looked fine, all the cross hatch marks were there and there were no vertical scoring. So my guess is a stuck piston ring or oil control ring or both. I attempted to free it up if that was the case by putting just enough Marvel Mystery Oil in through the spark plug hole to cover the piston and let it soak. I did this repeatedly for 3-4 days, turning the engine over by hand before adding more. The last fill the oil did not drain through, the other times the oil was gone in an hour but this last time the oil sat there for a whole 24 hours. I got the oil out and ran the car for a bit and did another leakdown test and it did not show any leaking. I'm not calling it solved yet but that result was hopeful. I did drive it for a whole day after that and while i still had quite a few oil drips when parked the oil dipstick was still seated correctly and not pushed up.

Pic of cyl #2 and the spark plug. The other spark plus were normal, but you can see here it was definitely burning oil.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl 2 leakdown results.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	9987
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyl 2 spark plug.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	9986

Other news, i exchanged the new starter that was put on the other month. It wouldnt start consistently all the time, sometimes resort to chugging. Replaced it and the new one starts fine all the time but now i get a metallic sound, its as if the gear is hitting the flywheel too hard. I am unsure if i installed it upside down, im not even sure that possible but ill take it off and have a look. The old one was off the car for a week or so while waiting for the autoparts store to figure out how to order the correct starter. They kept on ordering the automatic starter but since the old one was off for so long i forgot how it originally was on there.

Additionally i get a very loud hissing sound when starting a cold car for the first 5-10 seconds, i havent been able to diagnose it. Starts fine and idles like it always has, i initially though it was the sound of fuel spraying but i have watched it after starting and there is no fuel. I'll look next for a vacuum leak maybe by the brake booster. Hard to tell since its over so quick.
    Last edited by conozo; 04-17-2020 at 11:43 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

That's impressive that you got the blowby fixed so easily. If you had taken that to a shop, it would have been an engine rebuild.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

What can i use to clean the oil and grime off the paint in my engine bay. Every cleaner i have tried takes off the paint too. Remember that white does not have a clear coat just like phoenix red.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Ok, I am 90% sure I have excessive blowby. It leaks oil from every gasket and seal top to bottom of the engine. You can feel it when opening the oil fill cap and I'm loosing about a half a quart every 500 miles now. I don't think I'm burning much.

What can I do to test and figure this out. This is supposedly a new engine but had some cold starts after it sat for 3-4 years. The performance seems really good, pcv valve is fine, has plenty of power and doesn't smoke. I'll do a compression test and maybe get a boroscope to look at the cylinder walls but other than tearing it down to see if my piston oil rings are stuck I don't know.

Edit. One positive note the car has had no additional rust this winter because of the new coat of oil on the underbody everyone I drive.
    I had a thought on this as my car leaks quite a bit too.

Do you run the stock EFI air intake setup?

Years ago I took all mine off and just run a KN filter cone straight off the TB. But it eliminated the port from the top of the valve cover to the air intake tract piping and I have always wondered if this is negating the PVC system.

Just a thought I have had over the years.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

I am running the stock intake and regular filter. Pvc system works as I checked it the other month.

As my previous post say, I do have excessive blowby and appeared to have fixed it but time will tell if it's gone for good. Still leaks a few drops everywhere I park, I've been putting some miles on it recently and will report how much oil I'm going through.

On another note I was driving in the country the other day low on gas and the car just died, luckily there was a random factory where I coasted into the parking lot. I thought I was going to have to call my wife to bring me gas way out to where I was but I smelled gas and thought that was odd to smell gas when running out of gas. I popped the hood and found the fuel return line popped off the fuel pressure regulator causing fuel to be sprayed all over the engine. Reconnected it and tightened it up more than it was before and was good to go. I was working so I had tools with me and I'm glad nothing caught fire even though I do keep a fire extinguisher in the car for reasons like this.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Had some lady stop in her tracks to tell me how cool my Delorean was.

Also, purchased a set of rocker panels, so now I have those along with the rear quarter panels for the rust repair project in the future.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Where did you find replacement panels???
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Ebay

There's only a few left and I think they only have sedan panels. Sorry coup and hatch guys.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

About a year ago I discovered a music genre I have never heard before and I love it. I do like techno/ electronic and this is slightly different. It's called synthwave or retrowave. It's the perfect music for driving these 80s cars in 2020.

Here are some of my favorite mixes on you tube
    https://youtu.be/wOMwO5T3yT4
    https://youtu.be/WI4-HUn8dFc
    https://youtu.be/5C_gUic3cCo

What do you guys think?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

My goto driving music in an 80s car is stuff like Nujabes, Uyama Hiroto, MF Doom... but that may just be my goto anyway, the 80s car just adds to it.

There's always futurefunk and citypop when I'm feeling a little weebish too, and Daft Punk is always money.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

What do you guys think?
    I like it!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

I think I purchased the last set of rocker panels available for our cars.

Here is a closeup of the label for those who want to dig through the internet to find another set.

Maybe this winter I will work on this and the rear quarters. If not, ill still drive the car as in only in nice weather.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Ahhh there for 4 doors only? I thought they where in the rockauto discount parts list.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

My first order through ebay was cancelled, they gave a lame reason that my shipping address was incorrect. I think they just marked it that way so they wouldn't get a negative mark on ebay. So i ordered another set through a different ebay seller. I did notice that after the first seller cancelled the order, immediately online i could not find many of the listings for the rocker panels, they were just gone. Looks like the supplier figured out they didn't actually have them in stock.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

Question for you guys. What do you think my 0-60 time would be. I feel like my car is faster than most. It has no trouble going from 80 to 100 or getting up to 90 on an onramp. I do have some mods but so do most on here and they say their cars aren't that fast, maybe it's because I've never driven a real high horsepower car so my expectations are low.

Here's the mods.
    2550 lbs weight
    Fuel injected
    Mild cam
    Overbored pistons
    Head taken off twice and shaved a little
    Pacesetter header
    No power steering or ac
    5 speed from lxi

So what 0-60 times do you think I should get? I record some passes and post in a few days.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Since you live in the flat lands ill go...

8.8 secs 0 60 16.8999 quarter mile

When I had my gtech pro I never could get below 17.0 quarter. its the 60 foot kills the time very slow.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Last summer before carb #1 cracked I think it was running 8 flat 0-60, good considering that getting off the line is a total money shot and you have to somehow not lean it out. This year I thought it felt a bit slow, but I never timed it and it may be the same reason that I had the cyl head off.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

l say 10.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle

Haven't had time to do a 0-60 test, i always have 100+ lbs of computer parts etc in my trunk that i want to take out before doing so. Did an oil change and wanted to tighten up the two sensors on the thermostat housing since it looked like there is coolant coming from that area. I found the infamous TW sensor was broken off but hanging on for dear life. It completely fell apart when i touched it so i found this post. https://www.3geez.com/forum/efi-tech...tw-sensor.html As it turns out this is a common part between what it looks like all OBD 0 and OBD 1 honda cars. I got my Chinese part from amazon for $12 prime https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07W7RL6..._IMswFb73E1DEV Car runs much better at idle with it.

Did some of the easiest rust removal. Replaced the rusted lugnuts and locks with Gorilla lugnuts.

I had an issue with the wheel lock, went to rotate the tires and the lock key snapped into a million pieces. Went to order a replacement with the number on the side of the lock and that wasn't good enough, you need an identification card with 3 numbers on it. I dont ever remember getting that even though I put those locks on 18 years ago. So I had to send a picture of the locking wheel nut to McGuard so they could match the picture with the key shape. $15 and a week later, i got it in the mail and it was a perfect match to remove it. Decided against those locks, less stress worrying about losing the key and honestly if someone wants the wheels its easier to take the entire car anyways. I don't park in bad areas or outside at night.

Selling the 2000 Insight and will be using the 3geez as my year around daily. Monies from the sale will go into fixing it up. It will be a challenge to daily it but i am up for it. This was actually my wife's suggestion. Definitely agree..
    Last edited by conozo; 09-09-2020 at 11:40 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I really like Gorillas allen style lugs. Its not going to stop your wheels from getting stolen, but nobody just carries a huge allen or a gorilla key with them, so better than nothing, might keep the local meth heads from giving you concrete wheels.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I think I purchased the last set of rocker panels available for our cars.

Here is a closeup of the label for those who want to dig through the internet to find another set.

Maybe this winter I will work on this and the rear quarters. If not, ill still drive the car as in only in nice weather.
    Dang I dragged my feet and now there not on Rockauto.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Yesterday was a historic day in the making. October 3rd 1988 my dad purchased the accord new off the lot. Also yesterday I sold my Honda Insight making the accord my only daily driver. 2nd time in history it was made a daily driver and happened to be on the same day.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I