Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling system weakest link under intake manifold?

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Question Cooling system weakest link under intake manifold?

Hi...I replaced the radiator a week ago due to a leak. Just when I thought I got the problem fixed, I have new leak in a new location. The new coolant leak was first seen under the horizontal section of the exhaust pipe under the oil filter. This happens after the car has warmed up. By using a flash light and checking from the top, I couldn't see any places getting wet. But seems to be a little wet under the oil filter closer to the passenger side. So, I think the new radiator has keep the pressure up within the system and the next weakest link started to burst.

I already have the heater hoses changed and they are not leaking. The upper and lower radiator hoses are also new and they are not leaking. I know there are a few coolant hoses under the intake manifold. I have printed out the Honda manual page 10-2 but they are not really being well identified. Anyone changed the hoses there before? How many are they? What size of hoses do you use?

Thanks. - Alex
    86 LXi

--------------------------------------------
    Ok. After the above posting. I went to get a mirror and look above and under the car trying to find where is leaking. First of all, all the hoses under the intake manifolds are dry !!! Very surprising !!! I literally touched every hose I can find under the intake and I didn't get any fluid on my finger. Nor the mirror review any wetness on every hoses. I only found trace of coolant on the bracket around the two bolts that hangs the horizontal section of the exhaust pipe under the oil pan. This was done within a 2 hours period so I wonder if the coolant will dry all up that fast. I also checked the drain bolt on the front of the engine block and it appears dry and there is no trace of fluid under it. The chilton's book say the drain bolt may be either at the front or above the oil filter. I couldn't find any drain bolt above the oil filter either. Also, the leak seems to be started AFTER the engine is shut off. I wonder if there is any sudden pressure change when the engine is from on to off state that cause the coolant bursts out.

So, I'm still very puzzle with this. I don't want to give up because I just put a new radiator in. I know many of you got more miles out of your 3g and I think mine can do better than 241k miles. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks. - Alex
    Last edited by AC439; 02-19-2007 at 09:45 AM.

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat

Re: Cooling system weakest link under intake manifold?

Did you check the small coolant hoses that are near your air cleaner box? How about the ones on the intake manifold near the throttle body?

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Yes, I have checked them all. I took out the air filter housing and the filter so I could stick my hand below it. I literally touched everything under there including tracing and touching all the hoses from the waterpump's output pipe and all dry.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

mine was a headgasket...look like it was in the back of the mani

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda
    mine was a headgasket...look like it was in the back of the mani
    I'm afraid that this is also what's happening in my car. I'd wondering how am I going to diagnose this?

Vehicle
    2004 Pilot EXL-NAV, 2010 Acura TL, 2013 Accord Coupe V6 Nav/Sat

a lot of times the coolant will evaporate on the hose because of the heat so I always leave something under the area of suspicion that will show wetness or dripping after running the engine.

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

check your oil and see if its mixed with coolent...and check your coolent see if its foamy.....another way is to use a compression test mine blow between 2-3 cly

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1988 Accord LX-i Sedan; 1998 BMW 540i/6

you may want to check those lines again. and when the engine is running. take off the intake ducting if you have to because a lot of those lines are a real pain to look at with it on the car.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

just start the car and let it idle. when pressure builds up, the leak will show itself.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX Hatchbacik

It sounds like you are trying to hard.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Lxi Coupe

i have a pinhole on that pipe that runs under the manifold. the one that connects to the water pump. just as a warning....its 96 bucks at the dealership oh and i still havent put it on, its been sitting for 7 months haha

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    i have a pinhole on that pipe that runs under the manifold. the one that connects to the water pump. just as a warning....its 96 bucks at the dealership oh and i still havent put it on, its been sitting for 7 months haha

I went to the salvage yard and bought one for like 5 bucks!

Vehicle

yeah well, i went too....but they were all rusted though 7mos ago. so i said fuck it and bought it from the dealer.

Vehicle

Something like that part wouldn't be a bad thing to buy brand new, since it's in a hard ass place to reach.

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 4 door SEi 5spd, 1989 4dr SEi auto, 1989 SEi coupe 5spd, 1988 LXi H/B auto (kids car), 1987 LX 5 spd (other kids car), 1988 Civic 3dr

Quote Originally Posted by BITESIZE
    I went to the salvage yard and bought one for like 5 bucks!
    I had to replace mine - it was rusted too - and i got it at Honda Parts Unlimited for about $27 shipped. I was a bugger to replace - I can't beleve it can be done without taking the intake manifold off, but it can!! Takes some mirrors and patience and skinny arms/fingers. Gotta remove the battery and loosen the fuse box so there's enough room for the pipe to come out. Don't forget to get a new O-ring where it meets the water pump. I also had to replace the metal "+" (4-way junction of small heater hoses) located near the thermostat housing - it was rusted too.
    look at this thread
    https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthrea...ght=water+pipe
    good luck!
    Last edited by vongiese; 02-19-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX

Quote Originally Posted by mkymonkey
    i got it from majestic for $47 shippeed about 2 years ago.
    Alex.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Damn I think mine leaks there too. I been chasing it for a while now. its either there some place along the pipe or it could be the fast idle valve. I kinda been just letting it ride the leaks so small it effects nothin at this time.

wp

Vehicle
    88 DX Coupe

look at your freeze plugs too

DX Coupe w/\256,620 miles and still blastin'
    mods:
    stage 4 vacuum removal

My other car: 85 GTS Celica hatch (RWD)...390,000 miles "mildly" modded

"i should have my own high mileage club"

Vehicle

lol, i guess im the only douche that would pay 90+ bucks for that part huh

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Thanks guys for all the responses !

I kind of think the leak is at the side where the engine joins the transmission but the small hoses there are dry. I guess I have to idle the engine again and see where it is leaking when pressure builds up.

I also checked the coolant and it's not foamy. I check the engine oil and don't think it is mixed with coolant.

I have never heard of the "freeze plug". Where is it and what does it do? What do I check with it?

Thanks. - Alex

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showpost....1&postcount=35

there plugs that go into the block in the water passages.

I really think mines the thermostat housing the last part to the block. I first found the antifreeze on that wire loom by the clutch cable of all places.

I think I add like a cup of fluid a month so Im not gonna worry to much about it.

wp

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Ok. I think if my head gasket blew, I'm not going to have the engine fixed since the labor is too expensive for changing a head gasket. So, I took off the valve cover gasket and torqued all the 10 bolts for the head. They were pretty tight and most of them won't even turn with a long handle wrench. I was able to tighten the few bolts at the mid back for probably no more than 1/8 of a turn.

I have also put a tube of those aluminum seal into it and did drive to work today. After I parked and stopped the engine, there were some leaks dripping down onto the exhause pipe at the same location. But seemed to have improved. I drove home after work and parked on the driveway and to my surprised, I didn't see any leaks at all. I'm wondering if that aluminum seal did the trick or not. I did use the same aluminum seal once before I changed out the radiator and it did the trick too until the old radiator really gave up.

So, I'll see how that's holding up.
    Thanks.- Alex

Vehicle
    88 LXi

There some stuuf called Bars Leak it comes in a small brown bottle. Its the last ditch stuuf I'd use it will seal anything.

wp

LX User
    Vehicle
    1989 4 door SEi 5spd, 1989 4dr SEi auto, 1989 SEi coupe 5spd, 1988 LXi H/B auto (kids car), 1987 LX 5 spd (other kids car), 1988 Civic 3dr

Cool Re: Cooling system weakest link under intake manifold?

doh - sorry for the dupe
    Last edited by vongiese; 02-23-2007 at 09:45 AM.

LX User
    Vehicle

Cool Re: Cooling system weakest link under intake manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by AC439
    Ok. I think if my head gasket blew, I'm not going to have the engine fixed since the labor is too expensive for changing a head gasket. So, I took off the valve cover gasket and torqued all the 10 bolts for the head. They were pretty tight and most of them won't even turn with a long handle wrench. I was able to tighten the few bolts at the mid back for probably no more than 1/8 of a turn.
    I have also put a tube of those aluminum seal into it and did drive to work today. After I parked and stopped the engine, there were some leaks dripping down onto the exhause pipe at the same location. But seemed to have improved. I drove home after work and parked on the driveway and to my surprised, I didn't see any leaks at all. I'm wondering if that aluminum seal did the trick or not. I did use the same aluminum seal once before I changed out the radiator and it did the trick too until the old radiator really gave up.
    So, I'll see how that's holding up.
    Thanks.- Alex
    hopefully you followed the torque specs in the manual.......
    I wouldn't use that stop leak stuff - it just makes a mess and clogs up other things like sensors..... Yeah -If I had to pay labor for the work on my 3 geez I'd be in the po house..... Learn to do it yourself - use some fo the money you save to buy more tools.