Thread: Greetings from Newbie with 89 LX

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

Greetings from Newbie with 89 LX

Hello, I'm new to the forums and new to learning how to do my own repairs, but my '89 Accord LX has been with me since 2003. Her name is Hope and she has been very good to me.

I'm a recent empty nester and longtime autodidact. I'd like to spend more time on the road or at least avoid untimely breakdowns and getting scammed. Besides, I like this car and learning new things is fun.

I look forward to getting to know you as I get to know my car.

Last edited by Hope89; 06-28-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added photo

Vehicle
    86 honda accord lxi 3 door hatchback

Re: Greetings from Newbie with 89 LX

Welcome

Cool ride welcome !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Hope89 View Post
    I'd like to spend more time on the road or at least avoid untimely breakdowns and getting scammed.
    Welcome! What shape is the car in presently? I assume you mean scammed by mechanics. Are you in a position to do your own work?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

It's low mileage and in excellent condition, I'm just a rank newbie as far as working on anything under the hood---although I've done some interior mods that came out cool in a campy sort of way this year and I like that. I'm glad I found this forum. I'm not surprised there are others who like these older Accords every bit as much as I do, I'm just clueless about how difficult doing DIY repairs is going to be. I don't mind starting with simple stuff and just reading/lurking to understand more about how things work even if I do bump into my own limitations.

I'm not a fan of modern cars with proprietary software and specialized tools. I'd love to be able to fix Hope up enough for some serious road tripping, but I do live near some beautiful countryside so a nice vacation doesn't have to be hundreds or thousands of miles away.

I haven't put that many miles on her and have had to let her sit at the curb while I rode my bicycle to work, grocery shopping, etc. until I could afford a mechanic. The rust could probably have been prevented, but it isn't that bad. I'm tired of people disrespecting me and my car. She was never an "old junker" and I do not want to drive her into the ground because of ignorance of basic maintenance or inability to pay.

One shop told me they would charge $2,000 to even diagnose an oil leak and that I shouldn't even take her 60 miles for a camping trip. The shop down the street said the $60 special was all she actually needed, but they found a couple of lightbulbs that needed changing and they took care of that for me.

I wasn't prepared for a breakdown, but it happened anyway. It was just time for a new radiator (about ten years since the last one) and a friend recommended an excellent mechanic who only charged me about $400. It's time. Maybe I don't have the tools, space, time, or previous experience to do ALL of my own maintenance and repairs the way I do with my Linux computer, but I love this car enough to at least lurk, study, and learn how to take better care of her.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Well, if you can figure out Linux, you can figure out a 3g. Buy a basic toolkit from the parts store and start by doing your own oil changes, then tune ups, then move on to repairs. Download the manual from my signature and read up on everything before you do it. Add tools to your kit as you need them. You'll be proficient before you know it.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

The key here might be having a good mechanic lined up before break downs.

Someone that is close in location, works on older cars, and has a good rep...word of mouth.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Welcome! Years ago, I learned everything about fixing cars on a 86' accord with nothing but this forum, Haynes manual, and a toolbox. Patience is key to working on any car! Good luck, tons of info here!
    one day I'll return.