Thread: Fuel tank grounding point?

DX User

Fuel tank grounding point?

Hi all,

I'm trying to trouble shoot some issues with the fuel sender unit on my `88 sedan, which always reads full - even with the car off and battery disconnected.

Both gauge and sender work - I pulled the sender unit from the tank, cleaned it and was able to manipulate the gauge by moving the float by hand. However, when I return the unit back into the tank the gauge returns to showing full.

I've cleaned the plug, socket and the area around the tank where the sender unit seats but with no change. I even ran some speaker wire from the top of the sender unit to the chassis as a test - still no change.

I'm thinking the tank it's self must be grounded somewhere. Would anyone know where that is? Or of anything else I can test?

DX User

Re: Fuel tank grounding point?

I actually just pulled my gas tank out of my 89 LXI and can confirm that there are no grounding points on the tank.

DX User

Re: Fuel tank grounding point?

Quote Originally Posted by Killian665 View Post
    I actually just pulled my gas tank out of my 89 LXI and can confirm that there are no grounding points on the tank.
    Hmm, so it must use the hole tank and whatever connection it makes to the chassis. Perhaps the issue is the seat it'sself.