Thread: 1989 Accord SEI loses spark randomly(different issue each time)

DX User

1989 Accord SEI loses spark randomly(different issue each time)

Hello. I have searched and found old posts about this issue and have fixed lots of issues causing the "no spark" issue. It keeps happening and it has been different things that have caused it. It has a brand new Honda distributor, not a autozone cheapy. Everything in the distributor is new. New cap, plugs, rotor button, new wires. This is what fixed it the first time. Then it happened again. This time it was the coil. New coil fixed that. Then it happened again. The computor flashed a code for coolant temp sensor. New sensor fixed it. Then it happened again. This time it was the ground from the core support to the valve cover. I cleaned all the grounds and doubled all the grounds up with 4 gauge ground cables with the factory grounds. It did it again the other day. Checked for spark. No spark. I let it sit for a couple days and it fired right up today. This is my sons car and I need to nip this in the bud because its getting frustrating not having a reliable car for him. The car was one owner with 142,000 original miles and is in immaculate condition. The only code its pulling now is for the egr. But its been pulling that code for a while now and never kept it from starting before. Please someone, give me good news that this is a easy fix. I'm stumped. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to be as thourgh as possible. Thanks in advance for any help, which would be greatly appreciated.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: 1989 Accord SEI loses spark randomly(different issue each time)

sorry this got missed. look at replacing the main relay. search here will show you what it is.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!