Thread: Hazards not working

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Accord LX-i Hatch

Hazards not working

I have an 87 LX-i Hatchback. The turn signals work fine but there is a problem with the hazards where if I try to use them, they wont work and the turn signals will stop working as well. When I try the turn signals later, they work again. My car has had this problem since I got it and I never fixed it. I just never used the hazards. I'm thinking there is a short somewhere and the turn signal flasher is overheating, which explains why it works after it cools down. Has anyone encountered this kind of problem before? What should I check first?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Hazards not working

This is a common issue but i don't think anyone has ever bothered to fix it. But i think its just a turn signal relay that needs replaced. Its under the dash in the fuse box, there might be two relays one for the turn signals and another for the hazards. The label on the back of the coin tray will tell you.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 DX 5spd sedan 176Kmiles, 1 owner, stock. (Sold 10/18)

Many years ago one of my kids was playing with the turn signal and hazard lights(...everything else too) and I had the problem you describe. I was able to get it working again by using electrical contact cleaner. CRC NON-Flammable! Carefully spayed a bit into the turn signal and hazard switches and work the switches, blow it with compressed air too. ( may have removed the column covers... don't remember, I did post about it here somewhere) It did save me replacing the switch assembly as I will not drive without turn signals!@! Did not have any more problems with it. (no longer have the 88 since last October 2018)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Interesing. I pulled that combo switch apart to clean all the contacts a few years ago and my hazards still suck. :-(
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW