Thread: Great Lockout Service! (Almost too great)

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Great Lockout Service! (Almost too great)

My new truck (2009) has a fancy transponder chip in the ignition key. It's the only car I've ever owned with such futuristic hocus pocus, so I've wondered if it would allow me to lock myself out if I left that key in the ignition. Today while in town shopping, I learned that the answer is yes. Doh. I had a spare key made when I first got the truck. Then I lost it a week later and forgot to replace it. I found a random lockout service on Bing and called. The guy came out within 30 minutes and opened my door within 2 minutes. I paid him $45 and he was gone in another minute. He didn't check to make sure I owned the truck or ensure that I had any rightful claim to it. He never even asked my name. It was unnerving really. I made a mental note not to keep anything valuable in the truck ever again.

I learned in the early '90s, when auto theft was the national pastime, that there's no way to keep someone out of your car if they want in. I guess that still holds true today. I drove an old beater (76 Accord) back then and it never had the least bit of trouble. That taught me that the only sure way to keep your car is to drive an old Honda. I drove old Hondas back then and I still do today.

Be good to your 3gee!!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Great Lockout Service! (Almost too great)

I rarely lock my cars anymore. I just don't keep anything valuable in it or i lock the trunk latch. Honestly its nice driving and old worn car in that respect, nobody looks at it and thinks its valuable or anything in it is valuable.

Although back in the 90s this car was almost stolen. It was downtown and someone tried to pop the driver side door handle off with a screwdriver but someone else scared him away before he got it off. There is still a little damage on the metal from that there today.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

I have done key lock delete on both my front doors. The only way in and out is with my alarm

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    I rarely lock my cars anymore.
    We did that a few decades ago with an old beater we had. Then someone urinated in it and we stopped.

Seriously, no one is concerned that you can so easily get into any random car?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    89 LX-i(5speed)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    We did that a few decades ago with an old beater we had. Then someone urinated in it and we stopped.

Seriously, no one is concerned that you can so easily get into any random car?
    If they really want to get in they will find a way. I would never keep any valuables in the car or leave it in plain sight. Always park in well lit areas.

1989 Honda Accord LX-i
    B18c1 swap since 7/2011
    175whp and 132tq
    Redzone tuned

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by MessyHonda View Post
    If they really want to get in they will find a way.
    Read what you wrote again. Yes, if they want in bad enough, they will get in. But you still take measures to prevent them, right? You don't leave your doors standing open, because even though they can always get in, you want to make it more difficult. I'm saying the same thing. Doesn't it seem like calling some random guy and slipping him money to open any car with no questions asked is making it too easy? If anyone can do that, why don't we all leave our doors standing open?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    86 LXi

My 86LXi was broken into once. It was in 1993 few months after I bought the car. Was living in an apartment complex in S. CA and found the driver side door handle was tempered with likely with a screw driver. The thief didn't get anything cause nothing valuable inside. But it costed me money to get it repair by a body shop.