Thread: Apex Gaskets

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Apex Gaskets

The hamfisted meathead (me) that adjusted my valves last weekend buggered the valve cover gasket, or maybe it was just old and tired. Anyway, it blew oil all over the engine bay, forcing me to do an emergency gasket replacement. I took a flyer on the Apex gaskets at Rock Auto and was surprised to receive a pretty decent product when I got it.

The main gasket is silicone rubber that fits tightly in the groove and has rib retainers to keep it from falling out when you place the cover on the head. Not even Fel-Pro does that. The grommets were a substantial vulcanized rubber that seated snugly in the bolt holes with no slop or looseness. Most importantly, nothing leaks. Anyway, I can recommend this gasket. And if it breaks my heart, you know I'll tell you all about it.

I'll be replacing the timing belt hopefully this weekend (I had a seal fail and saturate it with oil; might have been the VC gasket) and I'll put Apex's timing cover gasket on. It's the one that looks like a long, tow' up gummy worm. I wasn't sure when I bought it, but after the VC gasket, I'm a lot more optimistic. I'll keep you posted.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Apex Gaskets

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    The hamfisted meathead (me) that adjusted my valves last weekend buggered the valve cover gasket, or maybe it was just old and tired. Anyway, it blew oil all over the engine bay, forcing me to do an emergency gasket replacement. I took a flyer on the Apex gaskets at Rock Auto and was surprised to receive a pretty decent product when I got it.

The main gasket is silicone rubber that fits tightly in the groove and has rib retainers to keep it from falling out when you place the cover on the head. Not even Fel-Pro does that. The grommets were a substantial vulcanized rubber that seated snugly in the bolt holes with no slop or looseness. Most importantly, nothing leaks. Anyway, I can recommend this gasket. And if it breaks my heart, you know I'll tell you all about it.

I'll be replacing the timing belt hopefully this weekend (I had a seal fail and saturate it with oil; might have been the VC gasket) and I'll put Apex's timing cover gasket on. It's the one that looks like a long, tow' up gummy worm. I wasn't sure when I bought it, but after the VC gasket, I'm a lot more optimistic. I'll keep you posted.
    Mine leaks right at the corner buy the power steering pump. I might try one of those gaskets this winter.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!