Thread: Power Steering BAD 88 Accord LX

DX User
    Vehicle
    03 exl adn 88 lx have had 89 & 91 ex and

Power Steering BAD 88 Accord LX

After and accident and other calamities, my accord sat for almost 4 years. The brakes were dry and with new hoses and a few good backwards stops, they see to be fine now and will prolly need a new master cylinder, that is easy.

My real issue is that fiend that helped me with getting car on the road again put prestone Power Steering fluid for asain cars. Says Honda on bottle, but now my PS leaks like a sive.

As a priest, I am totally slammed till end of December. Is there a product that will actually help slow the leak down? I know there a tons that claim to, but found most of those claims to be more like wishful thinking. ALso is it possible to get rack out without taking strut or tie rod off?

Finally, a honda friend told me that when his car did this he just used mineral oil and save a fortune until he could get it fixed.

Thanks,!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Power Steering BAD 88 Accord LX

That's an awful story. :-( You're really in uncharted waters at this point. When my rack started leaking in my '82 Accord, I tried the regular fluid with Stop Leak additive and it seemed to help a little, but not much. The mineral oil might work. The Honda fluid is a mineral oil base, as I understand it, so it would be compatible with the system in theory. If it's a little more viscous, that could slow the leaking. ATF is another common PS fluid, but I have no idea what it would do here.

Please bear in mind that anything you do could help, but there's an even chance that it could make things worse, to the point of making the car completely undriveable. If you are relying on the car and can't be without it, then proceed with great caution. Your best bet in that case, might be to suck out as much of the bad fluid as possible, replace it with good fluid, keep a supply of good fluid handy and check your level frequently. If the car is driveable and the rate of fluid loss predictable, then that's your safest alternative.

I think you're already aware that only a rack replacement will fix the problem completely. If you're going to do the repair, it's a good opportunity to inspect the entire system and replace things as necessary. If your pump is having issues, replacing it now would be a good idea also, as you don't want a failing pump to blow shrapnel into your new rack. The hoses are probably rock hard at this age, so replacing them would not be unwise. Finally, the high pressure hose does fail from time to time. When it does, it dumps flammable PS fluid on the exhaust manifold. It makes an almighty stink, but if you ignore it long enough, you will have an engine fire. Both the rack and high pressure hose are difficult to replace and it makes sense to replace the one when the other is already disassembled if possible.

In the meantime, stock up on fluid and check the level frequently. If you run out, steering will become a lot more difficult and if that happens when you aren't expecting it, it could be dangerous. Be aware of safety and park the car if you can't properly control it. That seems unlikely to me though. I am often amazed by how grievously wounded these cars can be, yet still deliver you home safe and sound. They might collapse into dust in the middle of the night, but they rarely leave you stranded. They are intensely loyal.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how things go.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Also, the strut does not have to be removed to replace the rack, but the tie rods absolutely do. They are part of the rack. If you mean tie rod ends, they can be swapped over to the new rack, but they are cheap enough that it's best to replace them.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User

Don't know of a product that works to slow down leaks, but I will say this. Once you get the time to replace the rack and pinion, DO NOT order from Detroit Axle! They are the cheapest online, but you're much better off getting a reman from a brick and mortar, they won't screw you over. Sorry this is happening.

DX User
    Vehicle

I got a local Shop owned by a friend to order the parts for me. Thanks for the help, It had to all be replaced.

DX User
    Vehicle

Need another rack and pinion. Where would you all buy one for 88 accord? First one quit a month out of warranty...

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I think I'd go have a chat with the guy who sold it to you first.
    Dr_Snooz