Thread: 1982 Accord Removing Oil Pan (WTF!!!)

DX User

1982 Accord Removing Oil Pan (WTF!!!)

Wow... 17/18 of the oil pan nuts/bolts off... can't seem to get that last one way up on the other side of the support beam, up snug against the transmission(?).
    Had to customize some tooling to get the other hard-to-reach bastards off there...

... but this last one!! Oh boy!! Anyone know what I'm talking about? Feels like a 10mm low profile socket with a 10" wobbly extension (maybe a universal slapped in there somewhere) might do the trick... sheesh!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 1982 Accord Removing Oil Pan (WTF!!!)

It might help to remove the support beam, and that other bracket that's in the way. Then really shove the socket in there and be careful not to round the bolt head off.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

The trick was a 10mm universal socket on the end of that contraption shown above.

Now... who the hell designed the flywheel cover tin to be installed OVER the oil pan flange so the pan can't drop down and come off the studs!! In the most hard-to-get-to area of the ENTIRE engine nonetheless.

* I removed the third 12mm bolt holding the bottom of the flywheel cover (from the "damper bracket")
    * Loosened the other damper bracket bolt and tried to coax the flywheel cover down the 1" or so I need to get the oil pan down over the studs
    * But the flywheel cover can't come down because of the center beam and the (front transmission bracket?) other bracket

I'm scared to take the center beam off and the front transmission bracket for fear of dropping the engine or tranny on my face while i'm under it (obviously I'd block things before attempting) or unmating the transmission and having to deal with that later.

* How much of this car do I have to disassemble to get the oil pan off!?!?! Does anyone else have some pointers here?

Thank yoU!
    Last edited by seadude; 12-08-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by seadude View Post
    * How much of this car do I have to disassemble to get the oil pan off!?!?!
    Well, more than you'd done, but not so much that the engine falls out. Remember that the engine mounts are designed to keep the engine in the car no matter what: full throttle, drag racing, really bumpy roads, horrible wrecks, etc. If you've ever tried to drop an engine the junkyard, even one mount will keep it from falling out. If you remove that support beam, you'll still have at least 3 mounts holding the engine, so there isn't much danger. The other brackets prevent the engine from separating from the trans under load so you can remove them without risk of the engine falling. These cars are small, so stuff gets squished together. You have to get used removing what's in your way, contorting your hands into small spaces and having a small selection of extensions and wiggle sockets. Once you do, it gets easier.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User

Hahaha~! Right on. Thank you for the quick reply Dr_Snooz!
    Ok, I'll get back under there and pull these brackets off. I found this guy on youtube (https://youtu.be/mL1HfOn9nu8?t=131) and another guy pulling off this brace on a 92 Accord without issue. Thanks for the confidence! Still getting used to these machines. I'm an old VW guy making his way from Germany to Japan

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I think one of the first cars I worked on was an '81 Chevette. With all the cheap plastic and poorly finished sheet metal, the car ripped me to shreds. After that, the Honda didn't seem so bad. LOL. Sadly for you, nothing will ever be as easy as an old VW.
    Dr_Snooz

DX User

Well, after another hour or so underneath the Brown Streak, I was able to get all the necessary hardware out of the way and get the oil pan off. After all 18 pan nuts/bolts were off, two braces and rubber mount were off... darn thing would STILL not come off! The flywheel tin was catching on the CV joint and just wouldn't allow the pan to drop far enough. I had to really pull the flywheel tin downward (hard) to get the pan out. Hoping I'll be able to get it all back together!!
    Seems silly to have to take this much hardware off just to get the oil pan gasket replaced!! (But it sure looks nice all polished up!)

Vehicle
    1983 Accord

Unfortunately that looks about right....the dang trans tin makes an easy job very difficult. Removing the exhaust manifold in the car is a real treat. I had to go to confession after that job. 😜

In all seriousness...these old Hondas are not that bad to work on once you learn to the tricks and tips and know what to expect. Congrats!!
    Last edited by dedens; 12-20-2019 at 03:22 PM.

DX User

Whew! Case closed AND no more drippies on the ground (at least not yet; its day 2 with the big pan underneath). That was quite a job, but worth it. I got to clean the heck out of the engine and get an up-close-and-personal look at things. I think the car and I have finally bonded. There is one little thing though... don't judge me!... but I cut that damn ear off the flywheel tin! I dont' care.. I don't care...I Van Gogh'd that sumgun!! that little shit was getting caught on the axle and no matter what I tried, I couldnt get it. HA!

Last edited by seadude; 01-12-2020 at 11:52 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh my GAAAAAAAAWWWWWDDD! What have you DONE!!

Just kidding. Nice work!
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1986 LXi Sedan - 1972 F250 C/S - 1987 DX Hatch - 1977 Skylark S/R (Sold) - 2001 Hyundai Accent GS (Sold) - 1981 Suzuki GS450 (Sold)

Lol I think every flywheel shield I’ve come across had some sort of modification done to it. Awesome work, that bond won’t ever break itellyouwhut.