Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Parts Discussion Thread

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

3D Printed Parts Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by B0CKS View Post
    Expect a lot more 3d Printed stuff to show up, or send ideas my way to print! I'd love to do what I can to help!

Oh boy! I've been waiting for some sucker... uh, helpful soul to offer. Just remember, you asked for it.

1. First thing: seat recliner handles!!! Every time I put the seat forward to get to the back seat, they pop off and I have to push them back on.
    2. Someone stole my hood emblem ...again.
    3. The rubber plugs on my package shelf (rear deck) are very discolored from the sun.
    4. The passenger grab handles have covers over the mounting bolts. The frames that hold the bolt covers are all brittle and like to break, allowing your covers to fall off and expose the bolts. I've gathered countless of them from the junkyard and they all break. Please print those frames.
    5. On the coupes they have those slots for the seat belts bolted to the door sills. The mounting bolts have little soft plastic cover plugs over them. I've lost one.
    6. The seat belt pivot covers on every coupe and hatch are probably all filthy and discolored like mine.
    7. Some kind of frame to slide into the cassette storage hole that allows you to put gauges, tablets, DVD screens or whatever else in there would be real nice.
    8. Cupholders for that spot would also be great for those who can't find them in the junkyard.
    9. If you could print up hinges for the top cover on the SE-i armrests, it would allow us to save a lot more of them from the junkyard. The hinges all seem to be busted up real good on those.
    10. The plastic covers over the seat belt latches on the coupes and hatches are all crumbling.
    11. There was a recall on the seat belts at one point where they put collars around the buckle receptacles. The collars are degrading and looking shabby. Replacement collars might be nice, especially if there is anyone out there who didn't get the recall done.
    12. Not really necessary, but I'll mention it. The coupes and hatches have wing windows in the rear. The mounting bolts at the front of those windows screw into some really cheesy plastic clips that are falling apart at this age. Replacement clips would be great. I currently have some generic plastic inserts for door panels from the Help! section of O'Reilly's holding mine on. The OE clips have actual steel bolts integrated into them so you wouldn't be able to pry the window off the car. What I have now could be compromised quickly by a determined thief.
    13. I think all of our badges are showing their age by now. OE replica badges would be great, but I'm sure you could find excited buyers for other creative badges.
    14. There are a lot of assorted clips in the engine compartment that have been lost. The clips that hold the accelerator cable over the top of the intake come immediately to mind. They are so rare you probably won't find a sample.
    15. The top piece of the driver's side door panel on the coupes gets busted near the seat belt slot. It's narrow there and people like to slam the buckle in the door, so it gets broken quickly.
    16. Glove boxes that don't sit crooked in the dash would be wonderful. Either new glove boxes, or better hinges, or shims for the hinges instead of 15 washers like I have would be great.

More difficult items:

1. Taillight assemblies eventually.
    2. Hubcaps that don't look like ass would be nice.
    3. I'll bet a lot of our cars are rolling around without splash shields under the engine.
    4. My cowl cover (that large plastic piece under the windshield wipers) is all wrinkled and looks terrible.
    5. I think all the plastic in the front grille from the plastic grille on the hood, to the headlight eyebrows, to the corner lights, is cracking, hazing, discoloring and otherwise looking shabby.
    6. And last, but most certainly not least, more rare than unicorns, are the center taillight panels on the coupe trunk lids. Those things are impossible to find.

Okay, you have your marching orders. Get to work.

Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Re: Bagged B18 '88 DX Coupe Build!

Alright Snooz! I knew this day would come haha, lets get talking! Starting off with the difficult stuff;

1: Hubcaps! I was just realizing that 500mm does give me enough ground to build a hubcap for nearly any wheel that would fit in our wheel wells, unfortunately, I believe heat, stress and strength probably overcome my ability to 3d print something in PLA or ABS that could withstand that sort of environment, so as much as I love the mind game, I think it's too abusive for my capabilities.
    2: Tailights: Possible! Very far away, but possible. In the long term, I would love to buy a profressional grade 3d scanner, since all I have today is a literal scanner on top of a printer (which is better for more jobs than you may think!) a caliper, and a fillet gauge. So I could, but not in any recent time frame!
    3: Splash guard: That's a good point, but the melting point (this will come up a lot haha) is 200 degrees, and you'd be surprised at how brittle it is, trimming a piece of metal or stiff rubber is going to be a better call.
    4: Cowl cover: Hmmmmmmm, certainly falls under the difficult category! I really do love how much you're feeding the flames, but I think something that large is out of my scope, it'd probably be ~400 bucks in hours and material (only since I could making other things with that time) and finding a new OEM would save a lot of trouble!
    5:Front Trim: That would be wild. Like blackout trim for the whole thing? Hmm. I know how much people are always looking for replacement pieces. What would you do about the corners?
    6:Coupe Centers: Man, if I could. Jeez. That's a killer idea. we'd have to recast copies of the lenses since any "clear" I'd be able to print would basically be opaque, but I could theoretically make the base!

And onto simpler things:

1: Recliner handles:Oh, you mean these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	handles.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	9820
    (Still got some work to do on the inner workings, but we're already mostly there!)
    2: Hood emblem: Yours must just be too shiny of something! They keep jumping off! But that's a pretty decent idea, I don't have enough faith in the clips that hold it in place (and I'm sure you don't either haha) so we'd have to resort to some 3M tape to secure them. I did this with my first 3g, and man, that badge was on there like paint!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160911_151140018.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	9821
    3:Package shelf plugs: Easy! I can make those all day. I'll add them to my list!
    4:Grab handle covers: I think I could model those! I had never tampered with mine, so I might have intact one out of my pair
    5:Seat belt bolt covers: I think I know what you're talking about! That's probably within my scope!
    6:B-Pillar seat belt bolt covers: (That's what you're talking about right?) I could print them, but I know they used that softer rubber to bend them in place, and well, PLA doesn't really do bending, so my main concern is that they wouldn't want to go into place without marring the part. I can probably make a set anyways, yay for basic shapes!
    7:Cassette deck storage adapter: That's a pretty solid idea! I'll see if I can come up with much!
    8: (effectively) SE-I Cupholders: Lots of moving parts there. I've done some work on converting an ashtray to a cupholder location, I think that might be better for the masses, since we all have that ashtray!
    9:Armrest hinges: Good call! I can probably do that! I currently have three at the moment, one can be torn down for rebuilding! (and long term, I'd love to model out our two piece armrests, and fully remanufacture those!)
    10:Seat belt latch covers: tougher shape than what I'm comfortable with to be honest, and after owning a Civic as well as seeing them in Integras, I think those are still able to be found! Maybe once they're more scarce.
    11:Seat belt recall trim: Oh snap! I'm not familiar with that, I can look into it!
    12:B-Pillar glass screw clips: Oh yeah, I grab those whenever I can. I think if I just made a brick that you could screw into, that would work just as well, I have some to pull dimensions off of, very much added to the list!
    13:Badging: Good point! I always worry about print fidelity on that high detail A-surface stuff, but that is a good point, might as well have fun with it!
    14: Engine bay clips: Oh yeah, I'm familiar with that broken part haha, my first reaction is that I'm scared of heat there, but I could probably make some of those with a tougher, thicker design to be more heat resistant!
    15: Glove box fixings: the one I have is nice haha, once mine becomes a problem I can probably take a better swing at it!

But dude, sweet ideas! Now I wanna go model stuff!
    Last edited by B0CKS; 12-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

Build thread! https://www.3geez.com/forum/project-...upe-build.html
    [SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

My car is "borrowing" my brother-in-law's, barn right now, but next time I'm there I'll take pics of some of this stuff. I give you credit for tracking my scratchings as well as you did.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    My car is "borrowing" my brother-in-law's, barn right now, but next time I'm there I'll take pics of some of this stuff. I give you credit for tracking my scratchings as well as you did.
    Haha, sounds great Snooz! And hey, speaking Gibberish is the one thing I can do fluently.
    Bagged, Type R swapped, eternal project 1988 Honda Accord DX Coupe, 1985 Honda Spree

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

3D Printed Parts Discussion Thread

Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: 3D Printed Parts Discussion Thread

Here are the pics l promised.

Plug wire keeper

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_110622.jpg

The other plug wire keeper. This is the wrong one for this location, but the right one is impossible to find.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_110609.jpg

I'm fairly dissatisfied with how our wires sag and slop around. I don't know if anything can be done short of custom wires, but I'll throw it out there.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_110627.jpg
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Seat belt collars from the recall. Notice how the cheaper grade of plastic is pitting and eroding.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_110347.jpg

(the mice have been having fun in the car while it "borrows" my brother-in-law's barn. One died in there and it smells wonderful!)
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

This one didn't focus, but you can see the plastic falling off the seat belt buckle.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_110250.jpg
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Cowl cover. You have to zoom to see how it warps.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public/...228_105733.jpg
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 01-03-2020 at 08:51 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

My suggesting for like the cup holders is try not and reinvent the wheel.

There are plenty of cup holders aftermarket with lots of engineering al ready in them. Just make a holder or bracket to add these to our cars.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yup. They don't have to be replicas. Anything that does the job will be great.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 DX Coupe

Glad to see this thread! While I know most of the parts, your photos aren't showing up! D:

[SIGPIC]

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I updated with direct links. If that doesn't work, then l don't know what to do.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I just got a 3D printer myself. I plan to print clips, brackets, and other small stuff. 3D printing is not really for anything in the engine bay as its too hot. I would like to figure out the exact color match for interior pieces. My interior is burgandy and i have some blue parts leftover from my parts car i could color match. Snooz, can you email me those pictures you posted on here. They sound like a lot of Coupe specific parts but id like to see what people need. I'll PM you my email address.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

This is exciting news!!! Thanks for contributing your skills.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Oh, I didn't get a picture (because mine is gone), but I sure could use a Honda H for my hood.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I just got my 3d printer up and running, waited until I had a reason to use it at work so I got paid to fix it. Now I can't stop printing things, send help.

Might this be the right emblem? https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1425850
    Last edited by ShiRen; 12-07-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Might be. It's hard to say without holding it in my hand. I'll go measure the holes when I have a chance.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Just PLA

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I forgot to measure the holes. Mine are closer to 27mm center-to-center, so that one isn't going to do it. Bummer.
    Dr_Snooz