Thread: 1982 Accord LX Radiator Replacement

DX User

1982 Accord LX Radiator Replacement

So, after being under the car for 16 eons replacing the oil pan gasket, I noticed the radiator was all rusted out on the bottom and leaking green fluid. It has overheated in the past and I had to add a bunch of fluid so I think its definitely toast.

Does anyone have a bead on a good radiator or is this one from Honda Parts Now the best to go with?

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuin...n=pd:3452600,6

CarId.com lists an "Aluminum Radiator" but 1. I don't want to retrofit anything, I want it to just fit and 2. I've purchased two things from CardId.com that were supposed to fit (according to the website) and DIDN'T. One was a wheel hub as I outlined in a previous post and the other was an oil filter. I ate the price (~$75 total) for both of those.

Vehicle
    1981 Accord Hatchback, 1984 Accord Sedan

Re: 1982 Accord LX Radiator Replacement

If you can get the OEM one, then go for it. It will be the best one probably. I kinda get the feeling that you'll order that though, and then it will be on permanent backorder.

Have you checked your local area for a radiator shop? You could probably get your current one fixed up. What about your local O'Reilly or AutoZone, etc?

CarID is going to be hit and miss. Their parts listings are awful. I personally wouldn't buy from them.

DX User

Thanks bro. I went ahead and bought it ($342 after shipping! (wife would be pissed!)). I haven't checked for a local radiator shop. I don't think I can refurb the current one, its rusted out on the bottom pretty good. If the one I ordered is on perm backorder, I'll give Oreilly/AutoZone a shotski.

I'm in Seattle too. We should meet up and rally a bit!

DX User

Aaaannndd... BOOM! You were right. Just got the notice from HondaPartsNow... "Your order has been voided, eternal backorder, etc." BOO! Called my local Honda dealer, no go. He can't order nor find an aftermarket! Shit!

Vehicle
    1983 Accord

In 2018, I ordered, installed and have been using a Spectra CU817 which is a direct fit for the 82/83 accord. The radiator can be ordered from summit and other retailers.

Spectra CU817 Specs:
    • Core Width (in):19.312 in.
    • Core Height (in):14.750 in.
    • Core Thickness (in):1.250 in.
    • Row Quantity:2

**In searching the web, it looks like the Spectra CU817 might have been discontinued. Summit shows they still have the CU817 as 'available'. I purchased from ebay and the seller shows 'out of stock'. I emailed the seller to see if they might have one available. Also...If you are interested, a buddy was able to retro fit a 95 Integra Radiator without much hassle.**

-
    Last edited by dedens; 01-26-2020 at 02:24 PM.

DX User

Awesome info @dedens, thank you for checking that ebay seller. HMMMMmm.... I was able to find a 95 Integra radiator, condensor and cooling fan on craigslist for $80... maybe I'll go there to make it interesting!

Vehicle
    1983 Accord

Keep me.posted on the progress and let me know if you want me to take pics of my buddy's install.