Thread: ABS breaking system

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan

ABS breaking system

dunno if its the right forum but sorry in advance..
    i was wondering that has anyone tried to do a break swap to ABS
    can it be done and how much would it cost cuzz i almost got into a fender bender cuzz of this guy who braked suddenly infront of me in the rain....(ass)
    anyway advice would be good:super:

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Whoa, no one's done it here, in fact I've never heard of someone doing is on any forum I've ever visited for that matter. Not saying it can't be done, but their has to be a reason I've never seen anyone even post about doing it, let alone ask how. How would it be done, I'd think you'd have to get ahold of a JDM 3rd gen accord that had the ABS and pull allot of stuff off to make it work.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Do you have decent all-season tires? Those will probably make a bigger difference than adding antilock BRAKES (which will likely be a huge, expensive pain in the ass if you're able to pull it off). ABS doesn't improve stopping distances unless you were skidding. It's real advantage is it's ability to allow the driver to continue steering the car under severe braking.
    Mike

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i Turbo 2004 Acura TL 6 speed/navigation
    dude id just keep the regular brakes. People bullshit all the time about how good their abs is and what not and its crap. In dry weather you stop faster with non abs brakes. I live in NY and we get tons of rain, snow and ice, and evey time that happens my street and neigborhood streets become very icey. Ive driven a 95 and 97 dodge caravan, 94 accord ex, 91 accord lx and my 88 lxi when its been rough out here and i nearly put each one in a ditch, esp the 94 accord which has abs, as does the caravans, and the 88 lxi was the most easy to regain control of it when you started getting out of control. The point is if you know how to properly use regular brakes they are of more use to you than abs
    429whp 362wtq A20 TURBO. A20T>*

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
    dude id just keep the regular brakes. People bullshit all the time about how good their abs is and what not and its crap. In dry weather you stop faster with non abs brakes. I live in NY and we get tons of rain, snow and ice, and evey time that happens my street and neigborhood streets become very icey. Ive driven a 95 and 97 dodge caravan, 94 accord ex, 91 accord lx and my 88 lxi when its been rough out here and i nearly put each one in a ditch, esp the 94 accord which has abs, as does the caravans, and the 88 lxi was the most easy to regain control of it when you started getting out of control. The point is if you know how to properly use regular brakes they are of more use to you than abs
    Keep the orginal setup, you going to put too much effort and money in keeping a car if this value.
    I have to disagree in saying that ABS brakes are not as good as non-ABS brake. When you give drivers (especialy less experince)one less thing to do, more so in emergency situations, you eleminate mistakes like pumping the brakes, or whatever technique drivers use. ABS are one of the greatest invations to automobiles.

Your cases with different cars are going to happen, not every situation are going to be the same everytime you drive, there are always changing.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

Vehicle
    2003 Infiniti G35 sedan
    i pumped the brakes at first but he wouldnt even move...there was like a quarter mile of road infront of him with no cars...he just changed lanes and stopped....i did light braking at first...increased the effort on the braking a little but he didnt move...and at the end i had to press the brake all the way down and the tires locked...it was a very slippery road...my tires are in good condition..dunno if they are rain tires or whatever....anyways i wasnt going to do the swap just wanted to know if anyone did it and if it helped...
    thanx for the input

Vehicle
    I guess it would be better if youre a non experienced driver, but i think you can get better control over the car with non abs if you really know what youre doing. I mean, if you were going straight and you locked up your brakes youd stop sooner than if you had abs in most situations but the abs tends to offer you a little more control and stability so you dont end up spinning. ABS isnt bad but i think people think its way better than it actually is

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    You right on that. Many people abuse the ABS and think that ABS replaces physics. Like a lot of new things coming to cars, they're supplements.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

Vehicle
    i just become unglued when people talk about how abs is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    i love abs on one thing.........ICE. i hate ice. you barely touch your pedal and they lock. as for wet roads, hehehehe you can have some serious fun without the abs.....
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    yeah but either way youre stopping distance will be about the same, probably less without abs on ice. The only thing the ABS buys you is the control over the car when on ice, it wont tend to swap ends as much. Also ABS is good when say... the drivers side tires are on wet pavement and the passenger tires are on ice... with abs the car wont tend to spin like the standard brakes tend to.