Thread: Weber conversion $799???

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Exclamation Weber conversion $799???

I went to this guy yesterday that told me that a full weber conversion would cost $799. He said he could get the weber for about $520 then he would have to get some kind of base plate for about $100 and the rest, I think, would be labor and cleaning up. What the heck is this base plate he's talking about?? I know something about the conversion and the price of the kit from carbsunlimited, but I played dumb to see what kind of bull he was gonna throw.

You guys have any reasonable estimates to this conversion. I don't think I have the tools or know-how to do it myself.

1988starter
    sounds a bit high but I am not too sure I think you can get carbs of www.nopi.com for 300

Vehicle
    1987 Hatchback phreak project
    any one can do it... the kit is 360 bucks... and the toold are a set of wrenches or sockets... it can be done in like 1 hour... read the how to in the FAQ!

Travis
    www.cardomain.com/id/dxhatchback

Vehicle
    01 Civic lx auto; 03 Accord EX
    $799? What?????
    oh man he is going to rip your off so bad.
    go here, http://www.carbs.net/Weber/Dataresul...8&Model=ACCORD
    or here http://www.nopionline.com/index.cfm?...20Kit&vaffid=0
    buy it and do it yourself.
    Alex.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Exclamation .......

The only reason why I haven't decided to do it myself is because.....I'm a little...AFRAID!!!. It seems overwhelming, all the vaccuum hoses, linkages, screws. And I may need some better tools so I don't get stuck with my carb off for a week. I'm probably not gonna go to him to get it put on, but he did bring up one good point.... tuning the carb...How the hell am I gonna do that without the right tools??? Quite frankly the only reason why I don't want to put it on myself is because I'm a b*tch and I'm scared that I'm gonna mess something up.

Oh yeah.......what the hell is this base plate he was hyping up???

DX User
    Tuning the carb isn't so hard. You'll need to set the idle mixture and idle speed. The choke you can worry about later, after the engine is running good. The idle mixture you do by ear, and the idle speed with the tach. There are websites that have the procedure, with pics. Most of the vacuum hoses go, so they're only a problem if you intend to put the stock carb back on. The base plate he's talking about is an adapter plate that allows the Weber to bolt to your stock intake. It's no big deal. It repositions the carb studs to match the Weber.

If you haven't messed with carbs before, I can understand why you're sweating it. You won't need any special tools, wrenches and screwdrivers will do it. You just have to read the instructions, take your time, and ask questions here, if need be. Read as much as you can beforehand, and decide if it's something you're willing to tackle at this point. Good luck.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX

Oh yeah...

Is installation of the 32/36 the same on Automatics as well as Manuals??? The kit says its made for 5speeds.

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    it is made for 5-speeds... and some lucky automatics... by that I mean not all automatic accords will have the trans kick down cable connected to the carb... some accords have the cable connected to the pedal. So if your auto kickdown is connected to the pedal you can treat the installation the same way as you would on a 5-speed.
    - llia

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 Honda Accord LX
    How do I know if the Trans kick down cable is connected to the pedal or the carb? And what would I have to do differently if it is connected to the carb? I have an 87 LX if that would help

DX User
    Vehicle
    89 Honda Accord DX Coupe
    Hey guys! How much more HP does this weber give you cause i have a stock dx 2dr 5speed and am going to try and race it out..
    i went to some links and looked but im confused as to the placement of the weber.. is it a piece that bolts onto your barb or is it a bigger carb all together?? thanks guys....

Vehicle
    2006 Chevy Cobalt LS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/a20a1e

Check it out... I have some pics of the weber conversion on my site.
    - llia