Thread: A20a3 questions

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

A20a3 questions

I have a couple questions I'd like to ask you. Ok number one is there any dohc heads out there that will bolt on an a20a3 block? If so what are they? And number 2 is, is it possible to make the head work on the block and what mods do I need to do? Timing belt and cam.gears I know but I'd like to know more in depth what I'd need to do if this is possible? If someone knows please let me get that info. Thanks lady's and gents

LX User

Re: A20a3 questions

Quote Originally Posted by G3n0c1d321 View Post
    I have a couple questions I'd like to ask you. Ok number one is there any dohc heads out there that will bolt on an a20a3 block? If so what are they? And number 2 is, is it possible to make the head work on the block and what mods do I need to do? Timing belt and cam.gears I know but I'd like to know more in depth what I'd need to do if this is possible? If someone knows please let me get that info. Thanks lady's and gents
    Nah man lol, get a zc or b/h/k series

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: A20a3 questions

There is no point, the a20 head is a great head, don't let the sohc 12v fool you, this head flows. The ports and valves are massive and everything is already gasket matched. Your biggest restriction on the a20a3 would be the intake and fuel injection, but the worst part of the engine is by far the engine block. Why on earth would you want to head swap and keep the heavy iron block?

fwiw these cars came with old style all aluminum 16v dohc b20s that are probably machined just as nicely, but new style b series are probably easier to get your hands on and isnt super hard to swap... I think you need to weld in a trans mount.