Thread: sway bars

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe

Question sway bars

i need help. i want better handling and i dont wanna lower my car yet. first off i cant afford it, and second we're havin blizzards and shit and i narrowly avoid getting stuck as it is.

i can't find sway bars anywhere. i've searched and searched and i really could use some help.

as for rear sway bars, would a upper bar or a lower bar be better for my car??

thanks in advance
    -Harvey

Vehicle
    87 Accord LX
    Try www.nopionline.com

Suspension Technique makes anti-sway bars.
    Rooz
    That's my other "car" on the avatar, my Dash-8

Vehicle
    '89 LXi Coupe
    thanks

rock on
    -Harvey

ground control makes front and rear swaybars. Dont know if they are any bigger or better than the lxi stuff. I want to say its 1 1/8 front and 5/8 rear or something like that

Vehicle
    to answer you other question, start with getting both sway bars, and then move on to strut tower braces.
    -Grant. I'm just a pirate chasing booty.

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    86 Honda Accord LXI HB 5-sp
    Originally posted by mykwikcoupe
    ground control makes front and rear swaybars. Dont know if they are any bigger or better than the lxi stuff. I want to say its 1 1/8 front and 5/8 rear or something like that
    They do , where did you hear that? I could not find anything on their web site and I was talking to them just 2 months ago about the 3g and they said nothing about sway bars. Are you sure you weren't just looking at a listing for the ST bars on the Ground-Control site? They do offer other suspension parts from other companies.

The ST bars are 15/16" front (1/16" thicker than stock ain't much bigger) rear ST bar is 5/8" (1/8" thicker than stock) Yes they are better than stock, but for the reason's that someone would install them for, less lean, you'd do better with custom bars that are sized more than a little bit bigger than stock. I wanted to go with 1 1/16' front and at least 7/8" rear.
    H&R springs revalved Bilstein front struts, koni struts in the rear 195/55-15 Dunlop W-10's Dc Sports header custom cat-back with Dynomax super turbo w/3" Brembo slotted & dimpled rotor's EBC pads
    Well, that's what I used to have, wrecked, 7/3/02.

Now I d

yeh, thats the stuff I was looking at. Have you found any places that are willing to make those custom bars?

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by mykwikcoupe
    yeh, thats the stuff I was looking at. Have you found any places that are willing to make those custom bars?
    You better believe it http://www.sanerperffab.com/products.htm

$180 per bar, you send them a oem bar, all mounting hardware and bushings, including endlinks. And the will make you a custom copy to your specs including poly bushings throughout. They are very busy, it took them awhile to have the time to answer my email, but were very apologetic about being so busy and not giving me a fast reply.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    Do you know the wall thickness on the stock bars? Are the aftermarket bars typically the same wall thickness?
    Mike

3Geez Veteran
    Vehicle
    Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
    Do you know the wall thickness on the stock bars? Are the aftermarket bars typically the same wall thickness?
    The first and only application of hollow sway bars that I know honda did was for the 88-91 CRX HF. If the bars on the accord aren't solid, that's news to me. I could always pull a junkyard rear bar and hack it in half to find out.

Vehicle
    Previous: '89 Accord LXi hatch, '89 Accord LXi hatch, '86 Prelude Si
    I have a spare rear LXi bar and it seemed too light to be solid. I guess I should just take my hacksaw out to the pull-a-part yard and find out for sure.
    Mike

The ST bars are 15/16" front (1/16" thicker than stock ain't much bigger)
    Jim, I actually read somewhere where a very small increase in thickness translates into some major differences in torsional strength. So, 1/16" thicker might be a bigger increase in stiffness than you might think. Also, it may be important not to overdo it on the front while increasing the stiffness in the rear bar by a greater percentage.

I am not expert, just wanted to make some observations.

Also, Car&Driver did an article on this part years ago. The term "sway bar" or "anti-sway bar" is not correct. The bars should either be referred to as "anti-roll bars" or "stabilizer bars." I guess as long as we know what is being talked about it doesn't matter much.

Later,

LX User
    Vehicle
    88 Prelude Si with 4WS
    SIR, is that your car (the black one)?
    *Content exceeds signature guidelines*
    88 Prelude Si with 4 Wheel Steering and a JDM B20A