Thread: Considering passing onto forum member....

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Unhappy Considering passing onto forum member....

Hey all... This is pretty much the part 2 of my previous thread of "nagging wife".

I'm at a decision point again about keeping or passing the accord to someone else. The main reason being lack of time to take care of the car. We have started a small business 3 years ago and it is doing very well so its keeping me very busy. I have been getting up earlier and earlier every day (now 6am daily) for the business' sake and rarely do I have time for any hobbies. When I moved last year, I threw away a lot of my stuffs, mostly related to some other hobbies. I'm also getting older (already over the hump) so working on cars is getting more physical demanding. I can still do the regular maintenance without problems but the hard core repair such as head gasket or steering rack etc can be difficult both physically and time wise.

I admit I rather want to be driving a car that is relatively problem free but I sure will miss the 3G fun. I would prefer to pass the car to someone who can take care of it and appreciate it. Nevertheless, it is hard for me to imagine this after having the car since 1993....and the last thing I want is seeing it goes to scrap yard.

Please chime in.

-AC

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Considering passing onto forum member....

Sad to hear, but I wouldn't want my turd to be scrapped either, its a fun car and I'd want someone to appreciate it. I am really glad I got a new Si, its fun and reliable, keeps me entertained while I do hard work on the Accord. I am still young and single as hell though, with a house and 3 car garage to myself I have nothing better to do than work on my Accord. If I don't get all the hard DIY work done now I don't really see any chance of keeping it around once I settle in with a family.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

Think the car could make it to Arizona? lol... i keep looking for one but the stuff out here has all been wrecked or is not running and 400+ miles away.
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 LXi

This car rarely fails me on the road. When it was much younger, I drove it from CA to FL. Still a few years back, I was telecommuting to work for 75 miles one way with it, no problems. Since the mystery 2k vibration started 2 years ago, I don't use it as a DD.

In the past few days since I posted, we are thinking about to give it another go (keeping). Needs to pull the head out and take to a shop for rebuild. I have pretty much concluded the mystery 2k vibration is cylinder head related cause I ruled out 30+ other possibility and nothing concluded. Head is original and never machined\rebuilt (though HG changed twice and head flatness briefly checked). Then will work on worn suspension \ bushings \ half shaft changed etc possibly another reman steering rack. Afterwards, body shop for minor rust repair and a paint job. Currently, I have the rustoleum paint on it, looks ok to me but family don't like it, telling me I need a real paint job. Then will try to put a set of 15" wheels (thinking Honda Fit rims).

Anyway, this is the plan. It will take some time and $$$$$. I don't rule out this plan may fell through if wife changes her mind. I will keep stat1K in mind. I don't think the car will have problems making to AZ... The 2k vibration is only momentary, once up to hwy speed (pass 45 mph), it will disappear.

Son is coming home over the weekend from college and have to change oil and safety check on his 07 Civic first before working on my 3g...

Vehicle

Good on you man, I would love for you to keep it. The fit rims are a great look on the accord imo. The one i almost bought last month was a coupe with the fit rims and they look good. I convinced that guy to keep his car too. Basically if anyone wants to sell their 3g let me know and i will convince you to just keep it instead... lol!

Vehicle
    86 LXi

I went to a reputable body shop today.... I show them the car. The guy checked for quite some time and told me there are many rusty areas (which I agreed). Panels need to be replaced, windows and the back glass have to be taken apart to do the work. He said there are highly likely more rust areas when some panels are out as well. He said it is a very involved job and will cost me $10k and up. Besides, the car may have to stay in the shop for about a year. He said he would not take the job either. I can understand not too many body shops will want to do this kind of work.....

He was nice and honest and I know body work can be very expensive. Anyway, this is very bad news for me and wife is against spending this much money on the car...... I also don't think it can be justified to spend $10 just on body works.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by AC439 View Post
    Panels need to be replaced,
    Oh, rust! Imagine how high that bid will go when he calls to tell you he can't find any panels and will have to hand fab every thing.

I agree with the wife. Throw it away.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

yeah unfortunately rust is the great equalizer to our 80s hondas huh?
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    86 LXi

It really does suck in this regards. Basically, you can't see much rust when you look at the car. But when he stuck his hand under the chassis front passenger side, rusty pieces came off and I knew this wasn't a good sign. So anything from now in terms of a paint job without really fixing the rust is a temporary cover up.....

I have no idea how you guys keep your cars rust free. After all these years, something is going to rust to the very least.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Most are not rust free, just not undriveable yet.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle

well i live in arizona, not much chance of rust here. No salt on the roads in the winter, no real winter and no real rain. Keeping a car dry is a good start!
    dead white and blue

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I'm Californian. What's rust? LOL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    86 LXi

Mine was bought Sept 1993 in Orange Co, CA. I then moved to Central FL, then moved to NC, now back to Central FL....

Someone just posted in the "custom\fabricate" section regarding rust issue. Mine doesn't look nearly as bad as his, maybe there are areas I haven't noticed rust yet....Am driving the car today, it is really perfectly drivable.