Thread: Jinnai's Introduction

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Jinnai's Introduction

Hello! I just bought a 1988 manual Honda Accord LXi hatchback:

Granted, it does look terrible, but it runs and was $500, which I think is fairly reasonable for a running car. The interior is a little broken up but all the parts are there so I think the interior will clean up nicely. I expect to ask a lot of questions about it. It's got 171k miles and runs kind of sluggish, but I haven't tried pushing the RPMs that much as I don't want to break it.

My first car was a 1984 Honda Prelude, I paid too much at $1150 and it ran badly but I paid to have it repaired and then it ran fine. Nowadays I very frequently regret selling it, but such is life. As you can see in this 2013 picture, I had a shiny new Mazda 3 that I was rather proud of, haha.

The picture makes me look richer than I am, especially now, I had a job at a factory, but I quit that and went to school and got my own apartment and am a poor college student now. And my brother totaled the Mazda Anyways, that is a little bit about me, I hope to get this Accord running right, it sat mostly unused for 5 years in Denver, it's temp overheated on the way from Denver to Colorado Springs according to the gauge and I let it cool down on the side of the road a few times. The AC doesn't work and it's really hot so I'll look into fixing that. There's the rust holes that I'm at a bit of a loss for. The wheels are Prime #93 two-part wheels, badly corroded, guess I can let that be. Other than that, all little things! Hood prop mounts are gone, front center piece under the hood is broken, rear left light is cracked, shifter cover is torn, driver side seat belt latch is broken, and stereo cassette player doesn't read properly.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Jinnai's Introduction

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you may want to look into doing a head gasket job. Sluggish performance and overheating are some pretty telltale signs and they tend to just blow if you look at them funny. Mine was fine last year and I started it after this winter and it popped the coolant crossover gasket and 2 radiators over a teeny tiny leak on cyl 1. You fuel injected guys don't have the same luxury as I do being able to remove the cyl head in 30 mins. Sure looks like a project to me though.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Welcome Jinnai. Do they require safety inspections for cars there in Colorado?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

ShiRen, you're probably right. With how old it is, it's something I have to be prepared for. I also have a 1993 3/5 Geo Metro that I rebuilt the engine on, but it still didn't run afterwards, so I'll take it to a shop to have them look at it.

Snooz, they do in Denver, but not in Colorado springs where I am!