Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailing arm bushing options

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Trailing arm bushing options

Where did you get the dimension for the width? I wash I had the bushings with me right now because I will 100% forget to measure them when I get home. The civic bushings gotta be real close to 1.5" in the middle. The ID is too large though so a custom sleeve will have to be made.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I opted for using 3M Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive, 08693, 10.5 fl oz Cartridge to mostly fill in the bushing. The OEM bushing allows for a lot of twisting side to side but not much other directional movement. I filled in the gaps about 2/3 total on each side and put some extra around the top and bottom. It may not be the best but after looking at diy poly bushings they seemed way to stiff. This will buy some time to get it right next time. Also the small bushings on the other end of the trailing arm i filled in as much as i could since there are no replacement options for those at all/ever it seems like. They are the same style as all the other rear bushings but just half the length.

Posting pictures before for reference and how I filled it.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Interesting solution. I did something similar with the rear engine mount in my ctr, but it was a poly insert instead, I guess the only difference here is the silicone or whatever it is is not a higher durometer than the og bushing. Thats one way to fix up an old bushing thats not totally blown I guess, I like it more on the training arm to knuckle bushings, no way there is a replacement for those. If I can get underneath my parts car to get a second set of arms I might opt for this on one set. Any reason you picked the windshield adhesive?

Vehicle

My bushing wasn't completely shot but it was not as stiff as it would have been new. This solution is all over the internet for engine mount "fixes" so since this bushing looks so similar to an engine mount and doesn't have any true weight on it, im going to give this a try. I was moving it around today after it dried and i think im going to fill the rest in completely. It was still pretty loose, the urethane is pretty flexible, much more than i anticipated it would be.

My end goal is to have a bushing that moves but is not sloppy. I didn't want the super stuff poly bushings that everyone does diy.
    Last edited by conozo; 01-20-2021 at 12:59 PM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Keep me posted on how this works, please. That's long been my fallback plan if I end up not being able to find bushings in the future.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

9 month/ 10,000 mile update.

Bushings are still good. I did not end up filling it in completely, I installed them as pictured above. To note, before filling them in, spray them with some kind of cleaner, I used brake cleaner to clean off all the grease so the new adhesive would stick and it has. I give my approval for this mod for only this bushing.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I