Thread: vss signal obd0 A20A3 engine

DX User
    Vehicle
    honda prelude 1986

Thumbs up vss signal obd0 A20A3 engine

Hello everyone, this last time I have advanced in my project, which is giving me some problems related to engine power. therefore, I decided to consult the group in search of wisdom.

It is an A20A3 engine, (BT says the block) I am not sure if it comes from an accord or a prelude, the car where I installed it is a 1983 prelude. The ecu that I got from a 1986 prelude has the code 37820 PJ0 663. ( This ecu, if I am not mistaken, is different from that of the accord a20a3 motor, because it does not have the outputs for the EGR connection, according to the prelude manual 1985-1986).

I will explain the problem: when the car is stopped and I rev the engine, it does not exceed 6000 rpm, then when I go out on the street and accelerate it, it does not exceed 5000 revolutions and also backfires are heard.

With the help of a strobe lamp, I regulated the advance in the distributor, leaving 15 degrees BTDC (mark that is on the flywheel) and according to the guide in the service manual.

there is no code showing the ecu, there are no vacuum leaks.

I have noticed two things that make me wonder.

1. I don't have the vss signal connected, I don't know if it is related to the lack of power in these motors.

In the service manual of an accors with a20a3 motor, it shows on pin out of the ecu that pin B18 has voltage values ​​between 0V - 3V.
    (I do not have the signal because the car cluster is not designed to connect to the ecu).

2. When I checked the timing of the motor, notice that the camshaft sprocket has a little free play, it is not exaggerated, but I feel when releasing the bolt and moving a little movement from one side to the other, and the same happens with the crankshaft sprocket.

With regard to the movement of the pinions, I made several measurements of keys with the intention of supplying the degrees that the pinions moved, but I still get the same result.

Is it because of the vss signal? Or by the ECU?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: vss signal obd0 A20A3 engine

Retard the timing. I have no clue where 15deg came from, but the service manual calls for 4. Does your vacuum advance work?
    Last edited by ShiRen; 07-14-2020 at 04:31 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by brunoprelude1983_6 View Post
    Hello everyone, this last time I have advanced in my project, which is giving me some problems related to engine power. therefore, I decided to consult the group in search of wisdom.

It is an A20A3 engine, (BT says the block) I am not sure if it comes from an accord or a prelude, the car where I installed it is a 1983 prelude. The ecu that I got from a 1986 prelude has the code 37820 PJ0 663. ( This ecu, if I am not mistaken, is different from that of the accord a20a3 motor, because it does not have the outputs for the EGR connection, according to the prelude manual 1985-1986).

I will explain the problem: when the car is stopped and I rev the engine, it does not exceed 6000 rpm, then when I go out on the street and accelerate it, it does not exceed 5000 revolutions and also backfires are heard.

With the help of a strobe lamp, I regulated the advance in the distributor, leaving 15 degrees BTDC (mark that is on the flywheel) and according to the guide in the service manual.

there is no code showing the ecu, there are no vacuum leaks.

I have noticed two things that make me wonder.

1. I don't have the vss signal connected, I don't know if it is related to the lack of power in these motors.

In the service manual of an accors with a20a3 motor, it shows on pin out of the ecu that pin B18 has voltage values ​​between 0V - 3V.
    (I do not have the signal because the car cluster is not designed to connect to the ecu).

2. When I checked the timing of the motor, notice that the camshaft sprocket has a little free play, it is not exaggerated, but I feel when releasing the bolt and moving a little movement from one side to the other, and the same happens with the crankshaft sprocket.

With regard to the movement of the pinions, I made several measurements of keys with the intention of supplying the degrees that the pinions moved, but I still get the same result.

Is it because of the vss signal? Or by the ECU?
    Check that the timing belt has not slipped one tooth or more. The belt should not be loose at all but very tight. The belt may be missing teeth.

Rotate the crank by hand until the TDC top dead center mark is up and see where the cam sprocket is. The sprocket should have a "UP" marked on it.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86PfFQs9kM

This might make more sense to you.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.