Thread: Recommendations On Replacement Hoses For Radiator?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Question Recommendations On Replacement Hoses For Radiator?

Finally found the leak on my 86 lxi hatch from a hose by my intake box and thought I should just end up replacing all my bypass hoses leading up to the thermostat housing section. Couldnt find any kits but I for sure want to replace them with silicone hoses. Also couldn't really find a solid answer on sizes. All the hoses lead up to a 4 way like splitter which I think is plastic but mine is super corroded. Only two hoses that look bigger is the one house going from the thermostat housing to the 4 way splitter. I think its thicker because its been replaced it doesn't have spring clips. Again not sure the variety of hoses you can use on the hoses, as well as temperature but I think silicone should do the trick. So basically just need some recommendations or what you guys have done for replacing radiator hoses. Thanks!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Recommendations On Replacement Hoses For Radiator?

I don't think you have any choice besides getting some silicone hose by the foot, you won't find anything. All the molded hoses give you no choice but to get stock replacement rubber ones, which is fine, I would not bother buying silicone unless I could get a full set. They sell all of them at your local auto parts stores, grab what you need, some of it will be 1/2" or 5/8" cut by the foot.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Gird up your loins. There are at least 8 million coolant hoses in all different sizes, tucked in very cramped and crowded places around the engine bay. Since you'll need to drain the system to replace one, you might as well replace them all at one go. If you don't, the remaining ones will help you complete the job by draining the system for you... on the freeway... at rush hour... when you're in a suit...

Ask me how I know.

Take an accurate inventory, strategize how you'll get to each of them and be patient. You'll need lots of extensions, wiggle sockets and skill performing keyhole surgery to get them all. If yours still have those abominable wire hose clamps that Honda loved so much, snip them off and cast them into the trash. They are a plague. Replace them with standard hose clamps and you'll be lots happier.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I don't think theyre all that bad to replace, granted the first thing that happened when I got this car was I blew a heater hose. Maybe you fi guys are the real masochists and everything is way harder. I just set up a ritual, whisper some carburese under my hood, and sacrifice a goat to mine and all is good, usually. Only one Id say is bad to replace on mine is the carb coolant, I just noped that and bypassed it, op could do the same to his tb coolant lines if he is not worried about throttle icing.

Vehicle
    86 LXi

My own experience with these small hoses throughout a span of over a decade is documented in this thread I started -

https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...-manifold.html