Thread: How do you buy a car online?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

How do you buy a car online?

Let's pretend this is a Honda question. My other car is a 2000 insight (2 seater) and I'm looking to sell it to get a car with more seats as I have 5 kids and there has been several times recently where I need to take all the kids somewhere but that leaves my wife with a car she can't drive because the insight and accord are both manuals. So I've been looking at getting a Volvo 850 wagon that seats 7. This would be the winter and bad summer weather car. These cars are hard to find.

So my question is how does one actually buy a car online like through Facebook marketplace. I understand that you send them money in some way but then what, how does the title transfer work. Do they just sign their half and put it in the glove box. There are states around me that require titles to have a notary witness both signatures, are those states just a no go. Then how to get the car, there are a bajillion car hauling services, which one to use, what's a fair price. The cars I'm looking for are really cheap $700 to $2000 so it's not a huge loss if I get scammed but can anyone let me know if they have done this before or have any advice.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: How do you buy a car online?

Well I think now there services on Car gurus that make it 100% legit. Everything else there some amount of trust and pontential to get ripped.

I bought my Challenger off E bay but it was in TN so I drove there with a bank check for the agreed amount and met him at his bank. Thats how I sold it also. The guy flew in and we met at my bank. My banker did warn me that there is potential for fake bank checks even with her checking calling his bank,he had a letter etc etc etc...and its on me not them of course!

Now like on my IH pickup,2000$ . I sent him 1000 he sent me the title, I registered it here that day and sent him another 1000. I had it hauled here but some driver/companies will do a title swap etc.. I guess Ebay has some built in protections so they claim.

I usually figure a 1$ a mile haul fees although there usually less.

Another weird thing I learn at least for TN. If your out of state you can get a temp tag to drive a vehicle home to your state...if you purchase in state TN you cant. Big PIA.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You probably can't go wrong with Bring A Trailer... just go to auctions and sort low to high. Its a bit more limited, but they've all got pedigree.

Here are some recommendations for ya:
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...let-caprice-3/
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-1600-crewcab/
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1938-old-town-canoe/

Like I said, its limited, just keep your eyes peeled.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Good choices all!!

ROFL
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Conozo

One thing on all the purchases is I checked the sellers out.

With the truck..Im on the Binderplanet forums for years so the seller had been too so he had a pretty good rep. and he represented the truck pretty well.

The Challenger seller owned a business in Moore county TN and so did most of his family members. I checked on him between coworkers from there and I called the BBB on his business.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Thanks for the replies. I haven't found one I am interested in since they are hard to find. I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas of hondas that seat at least 6 besides the regular odyssey and pilot. Did the Element or CR-V, Accord wagon, Acura TSX wagon ever have a third row? I know the original 1994-1998 Odyssey seats 6 and you can get it in a manual at least.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Only thing I know is my parents had several CRV's including a 2019 and I never liked any of them. This last ones ok but the braking seems sub par for some reason with alot of nose dive on braking just around town driving with my older parents in the vehicle.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    2005 ES2 Civic, 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4

The element seats 4, no third row, the crv has never had a third row. I think the only third row vehicles would be the newer pilot and the odyssey. Other than that you get the normal seats 5 situation but with bigger trunks/hatchbacks.
    dead white and blue