Thread: Official how to SEQUENTIAL TAIL LIGHTS

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

Official how to SEQUENTIAL TAIL LIGHTS

I have wanted to do this for a while and I've finally figured it out for the hatch.

Parts:
    96 Mustang tail light sequencer kit $70
    Hopkins 48845 12 Tail Light Converter $13
    VHT SP888 Red Nite Shades $13
    Novita Flasher EP34 $13
    2 Relays $11

Additional part:
    2 3-wire bulb sockets and bulbs (you can literally go to junkyard and cut them off the brake harness.
    Aluminum tape
    Tin snipers
    Electrical tape/shrink tube
    Additional wire to extend wiring.

Okay so wiring is pretty straight forward. Your turn signals only has 2 wires going to it (power and ground). You need to get TWO 3 wire sockets like the ones that go into the brakes to go into the turn signal area. This way when you turn on your lights it'll have power for the big flash, low power for when lights are on, and a ground wire. You can find this at the junkyard and its the exact same socket that goes to your brakes. One thing I didn't mention in the video is that the relays being powered by the battery should have a fuse! Also the brown wires on the Hopkins converter aren't used. The white wires off the Hopkins converter get grounded.

Now for the tail light lenses I wanna say I'm not responsible if you fuck them up... with that being said proceed with caution. Preheat oven to 350 and keep an eye on it. I pulled my tail lights out of the oven after 4.5 minutes. Be careful when pulling the clear lens off because it can crack! I put 4 coats of red VHT night shades on the orange turn lens.

Last thing you're gonna wanna do is change out the flasher relay under the steering column with the Novita EP34 flasher relay to avoid hyper flashing. One way to locate the relay is to turn on the turn signal and listen for the clicking that is happening under your steering column.

My 3rd brake light is on a different flasher that you can look up on your own. Its pretty straight forward on how to wire those. Find the flasher on amazon and a youtube vid on it.

You will get a "Brake Lamp" on your cluster. To remedy that you'll want to buy resistors like the one you'd wire in for LEDs into the original brake wires you cut and twisted together. One side of the resistor goes to those wires and the other to ground. Or if you're like me with a custom cluster you say fuck it.

Enjoy your sequential lights
    Last edited by elpuma; 09-17-2020 at 12:10 AM.

I/H/E, B16 mani, delta 272, OBD1....etc

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Official how to SEQUENTIAL TAIL LIGHTS

You do not need a fuse for a relay if you are using an existing power, they are already fused. Also, at this point I would strongly recommend you switch to an led, you're adding current from a trailer module, a sequencer, and like 4 relays to these circuits, the incandescent bulbs draw enough as is (and they get hot! fuck those things). I don't think it is anywhere near the rating of the fuse, but I have found Honda routed current through places that really should not see current, like the headlight switch that sees the full current of the 35W headlights, just be careful. I wonder if the relays are even necessary if you have leds.

Nice writeup though. Its nice to see an original mod posted on the forums.

Vehicle
    88 Honda Accord lxi

Re: Official how to SEQUENTIAL TAIL LIGHTS

Yea no need if you gonna tap into existing power. My batter sits behind the passenger seat so I ran a fused wire from battery to relay. I do want to do red LED bulbs which would probably not require the relays anymore but I'm trying to track down a nice set of LEDs. The video down below shows you why you can't cheap out on the rear LEDS. You need there to be a difference in light output from lights on to flash so people behind you can tell when you press the brakes. I'll continue to update the post as I make more progress and findings. The way I've outline my how to is not the only way to go about doing sequential lights.

I/H/E, B16 mani, delta 272, OBD1....etc