Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sudden drop in power then lurch

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Re: Sudden drop in power then lurch

So I checked the fuel system and ran the 'Fuel Pump Inspection' test (pg 12-50), bob's your uncle, it seems.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mniVzWVV1hD9h5N3A

Nothing came out of fuel pressure reg, looking for at least 230ml petrol, nothing came so according to manual its gonna be:
    fuel pump
    fuel filter
    fuel line
    pressure reg

In order to run the test I relieved fuel pressure at the filter, petrol did flow out, makes me think its fuel filter or regulator then, or a downstream pipe. Filter seems top of list given its a maintenance item.

Any further thoughts?

Vehicle
    Honda Prelude BA2 1987 2.0i-16V. B20A1

If you're sure there's actual petrol in the tank, filter and regulator are first to replace now. Then try again. Hopefully on your way to have it start at least. Let us know. Carb cleaner test could easily confirm if it will start when fueled. So would try this test first

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    88 LXi

im starting to suspect your tank is rusty or possible fuel line corrosion. you have pretty low miles meaning the car sat alot unused.

The pumps under a small round hatch back on car as well as the fuel sender under a separate hatch. There pretty easy to pull and peak in there. The metal edges are very very sharp just a warning.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Yeh, Im suspecting the same I think, car on 130k granted but sat for the last 13 years in storage before I bought it...

Cheers for the warning, gonna try the gauge-side hole and see if I can fix the hanger while I'm at it, will be back with photos. Maybe I shoulda bought two filters
    Last edited by Sandwich; 11-17-2020 at 01:47 AM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I'm not sure about parts availability over the pond, but over here tanks are pretty darn cheap still, so if you look down in it and its real bad I would not be afraid to write it off and order a new tank. It is very likely this is a big part of your issues, if not the root cause.

LX User

I’m having a similar issue with my 94 Civic. If the idles are unstable and the car gets jerky under load, i think it might be your IACV. Try disconnecting it and go for a drive and see if it still jerks.

You’ll get a CEL, but that shouldnt be a problem as long as you don’t leave it that way for too long.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by gcovarrubias412 View Post
    I’m having a similar issue with my 94 Civic. If the idles are unstable and the car gets jerky under load, i think it might be your IACV. Try disconnecting it and go for a drive and see if it still jerks.

You’ll get a CEL, but that shouldnt be a problem as long as you don’t leave it that way for too long.
    I'm sorry, but PGMFI went a long way between 89 to 94. The two are hardly related.
    A stuck IACV is an extremely common problem on later cars, you should just clean it as preventative maintenance if you take one in.
    I think his problem goes a lot deeper than an idle control valve, that is what we are looking into.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I'm not sure about parts availability over the pond, but over here tanks are pretty darn cheap still, so if you look down in it and its real bad I would not be afraid to write it off and order a new tank. It is very likely this is a big part of your issues, if not the root cause.
    So I got the fuel gauge sender out, looks quite manky, cleaned a decent bit of dirt/rust off it. The connection was gone so need a new one too.

I'm a bit of a tit, doesnt look like much fuel in there either, likely explains why it won't start I reckon, gonna fill and find out if its still playing up. In my defence the gauge was off

How does the tank look to your professional eyes? seems some black gunk on the sides, and general rusty vibe, no clue how bad that is for a petrol tank. Vid: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdg9tQfuxs3QHjGS6
    Last edited by Sandwich; 11-17-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    So I got the fuel gauge sender out, looks quite manky, cleaned a decent bit of dirt/rust off it. The connection was gone so need a new one too.

I'm a bit of a tit, doesnt look like much fuel in there either, likely explains why it won't start I reckon, gonna fill and find out if its still playing up. In my defence the gauge was off

How does the tank look to your professional eyes? seems some black gunk on the sides, and general rusty vibe, no clue how bad that is for a petrol tank. Vid: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vdg9tQfuxs3QHjGS6

Well mate.....YOUR OUTTA GAZZZ. or petrol in your case.

And yes thats very rusty. It really wont every run well consistently without a new clean gas tank and probably new fuel pump set up. As you can see from mine it should be all shiney galvanized metal.

EDIT: https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...ml#post1221892

I left two vids on this post.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Wouldn't that be nice if that solves the no start . Try petrol in first, replace fuelfilter, and see what happens. Go from there, google diy tank cleaning, or get another one.
    Curious now what happens .

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I have cleaned smaller gas tanks out by putting gravel in them and shaking them around. I won't say it is long term, but it works. Don't try to put a tank liner in it unless you like not having fun, or you like breathing harmful chemicals.
    If you were American I would tell you to fill it with gravel, wrap it in an old rug, tie it behind an atv and take it yard skiing.
    I would just put a gas tank on your shopping list lol, but a dirty tank won't stop you from getting it running, at least for some time. Maybe grab a second fuel filter for later.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Yeh gonna do some shopping for tank repairing/coating stuff or ultimately a new one, might be my christmas present this year
    Gravel dragging sounds great fun, not sure if I could get away with that over here though hahah.

The gauge sender units are out of stock on RockAuto, anyone seen them elsewhere? Would be nice to know my fuel level I realise.

Got some petrol will update when I give it the next start.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

If you change the fuel filter that would help too. All those little rust bits are clogging everything.

Sender doesnt seem to be available right now.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Gave it a few runs round the block at lunchtime, starts and idles well, pulls nicely, nice to see how these engines are meant to be!

Problem persists however, as it warmed up. Also I get a 'screech' just after changing gear. Both can be seen in these vids: https://photos.app.goo.gl/N75CKJGnrPyWqBSx8

Cant tell if the screech is tyre spin from a heavy foot (can't feel much in steering wheel), or something else, open to any suggestions.

Fuel filter on way, hopefully will fit that and it will alleviate problems.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I am not able to watch the video at work, but I would suspect you are hearing the belts slip. I have to get mine pretty darn tight before they stop making noise.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Gave it a few runs round the block at lunchtime, starts and idles well, pulls nicely, nice to see how these engines are meant to be!

Problem persists however, as it warmed up. Also I get a 'screech' just after changing gear. Both can be seen in these vids: https://photos.app.goo.gl/N75CKJGnrPyWqBSx8

Cant tell if the screech is tyre spin from a heavy foot (can't feel much in steering wheel), or something else, open to any suggestions.

Fuel filter on way, hopefully will fit that and it will alleviate problems.

Thanks for all your help guys!
    Well its my birthday and I got coffee in bed and your car running. Pretty good day.

I think it runs great for running it dry and rust in the tank! I seen them two girls checking you out at the stop sign.!

Id leave the timing where its at I didnt hear it pinging. Double check your timing belt tension sometime and let it roll.

Belt squeek is probably from a low battery needing a heavy charge and I think your clutch seems to hang a little between shifts which is typical on a car that sits.

Good day otherwise.
    Now running E85.

LX User

I'm sorry, but PGMFI went a long way between 89 to 94. The two are hardly related.
    A stuck IACV is an extremely common problem on later cars, you should just clean it as preventative maintenance if you take one in.
    I think his problem goes a lot deeper than an idle control valve, that is what we are looking into.
    I just saw the videos he posted. Seems like his issue is exactly the same as mine. Although i dont think my car smokes like his.

I’m almost sure its the IACV. I disconnected mine and the problem went away. I’m hoping to replace it soon and see the difference so I can report back here to see if it fixed it.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Well its my birthday and I got coffee in bed and your car running. Pretty good day.

I think it runs great for running it dry and rust in the tank! I seen them two girls checking you out at the stop sign.!

Id leave the timing where its at I didnt hear it pinging. Double check your timing belt tension sometime and let it roll.

Belt squeek is probably from a low battery needing a heavy charge and I think your clutch seems to hang a little between shifts which is typical on a car that sits.

Good day otherwise.
    Happy Birthday Blue! fingers crossed this fuel filter sorts it out and both of us can rest easy

I'll see what messing with the IACV does in the meantime, filter not gonna come until Friday/Saturday and anxious not to waste any time, I wanna drive this thing a couple hours home home this weekend, taking the train would be admitting failure

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Happy Birthday Blue! fingers crossed this fuel filter sorts it out and both of us can rest easy

I'll see what messing with the IACV does in the meantime, filter not gonna come until Friday/Saturday and anxious not to waste any time, I wanna drive this thing a couple hours home home this weekend, taking the train would be admitting failure
    Thanks for the Birthday wishes.

I would wear a really good pair of shoes on that trip.....
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

So I was fiddling and noticed this on the floor, when I hadnt noticed it previously, it hasn't pinged off anywhere has it? looks more like a house electrical thingy but wanna be sure I havent knocked it off. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exi_weirdelecthing.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	10464

Vehicle

450 Volts . Not car related.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Those are nice little clips, essentially a wire nut... still not something you permanently splice wires with.
    Its not factory, bit you now may have a bare wire under your dash somewhere

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Those are nice little clips, essentially a wire nut... still not something you permanently splice wires with.
    Its not factory, bit you now may have a bare wire under your dash somewhere
    Yeh will have a good look see if anythings bare, was when I was trying fiddle with the ICM. Live in flats though so could be anyones crap equally haha.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Replaced the fuel filter, can't work it out...

My current feeling is it's improved but not fixed. The car drives well, pulls nicely, yet I still get the cutting of power, now centered around the low revs. I gave it a few runs round the block and it suffers most when pulling off, just nothing happens. The revs dip and dance around low before eventually recovering. It caused the car to stall a couple of times. In the last video you can see it idle nicely, suffer at the beginning but then hold revs really nicely. The vids are a few mins but show how it occurs at low revs really well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1WWYcu5jYgCmy8Gb6

Still need to set dizzy timing, and tension alternator belt, but doubt these will fix it. Not sure...

My thoughts, maybe check the fuel pump sock? with the state of the petrol tank maybe thats partially 'blocked' too. or somewhere else in the fuel system,
    Something electric? a sensor, IACV? or similar, something causing the engine not to hold revs well at low revs.
    Time? gonna drive it some more, see if it sorts itself out, who knows, it was idling and holding revs nicely when I got home.
    Fucked? is the engine itself just fucked

Cheers.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Im more thinking it needs a good "Italian tune up" my dear Sicilian Grandma wold say....floor board it up a big hill.

Thats the problem with rust it comes and goes and does all kinda things one not the same as the other. There is no solution that dissolves it so its probably stuck in you injectors.
    Now running E85.