Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Sudden drop in power then lurch

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Sudden drop in power then lurch

I really wish I could watch your videos at work... Is the engine out of open loop mode? If it does this in open loop then this is either air, spark, or fuel related. Not a sensor, but maybe something vacuum-mechanical.
    If you say it smooths out I am kind of assuming its sorting itself out once its in closed loop.

Vehicle
    Honda Prelude BA2 1987 2.0i-16V. B20A1

Idee surge can be caused by several things. Vacuum leak. Air in cooling system. FITV screw came up. IACV bad.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Im more thinking it needs a good "Italian tune up" my dear Sicilian Grandma wold say....floor board it up a big hill.

Thats the problem with rust it comes and goes and does all kinda things one not the same as the other. There is no solution that dissolves it so its probably stuck in you injectors.
    What're your thoughts on some injector/fuel system cleaner, somethign like BG 44K? I know injectors arent cheap and wanna avoid taking them out I reckon. I don't wanna throw money at this but im stumped!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You need something that has a high anti-oxidant content and probably methanol. I have no idea what is available to you, but truth is fuel injector cleaner does jack squat unless youre putting it in a motorcycle, and I don't recommend running your tank below half if youre trying not to suck up junk. Soo 2 cans?

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I really wish I could watch your videos at work... Is the engine out of open loop mode? If it does this in open loop then this is either air, spark, or fuel related. Not a sensor, but maybe something vacuum-mechanical.
    If you say it smooths out I am kind of assuming its sorting itself out once its in closed loop.
    How can I tell if it's open loop? the problem seems to occur after a run round the block or so, and then continues for the periods I've been driving it. Can open loop be characterised by the idle position? by the time I got home, after driving for 20-30 mins, it was still having problems but otherwise driving and idling nicely. Sorry not very good with systems, is closed or open first? Cheers.

Vehicle
    Honda Prelude BA2 1987 2.0i-16V. B20A1

You mean thermostat open loop Engine starts with thermostat closed to get the engine warmed up as quickly as possible. Don't think you can tell by driving if thermostat is open or closed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn E5823 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Okay gave it some more running, more fuel, and an italian tune on the motorway, things are better, definitely. In fact seems problem is almost gone. Only experienced it right at high revs 5k rpm, otherwise driving well. Got some bg44k which Im gonna try and top up the fuel to max before I aim to drive to London this evening.

As for dizzy timing, am I correct you look for red mark with the vac tubes disconnected, and the tubes and diaphragm holes all plugged? Got TDC lining up with 0' on the gun, but couldnt find the red mark and seemed to move the other way to where I think the red mark is. (with flywheel facing with TDC, red mark is closer to me right?, the way the engine is spinning, but turning the dial on gun, moves it back the way its spinning.)

Cheers

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Found the timing mark, lined it up, drove it 3 hours back to London. She's sorted boys. Thanks for all your help!

Now to clean the hell out of that fuel tank.

EDIT: for anyone reading this, it was the fuel filter replacement that fixed it. The symptoms were very similar to issues with spark and air, which can be fixed by replacing dizzy cap, rotor, spark plugs, leads, coil & ICM, and also checking for vac leaks around the intake manifold. My fuel tank had sat for 13 years along with the rest of the car before I bought and so was full of junk, that 800-1k miles later clogged the filter and started causing problems.
    Last edited by Sandwich; 11-27-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Very very Good!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!