Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone near Denver who can help me with transmission removal?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Anyone near Denver who can help me with transmission removal?

I'm in the Denver area and my manual transmission needs replacement in my 3g Accord. It looks like it takes a lot of tools that I'm not familiar with. Is there anyone in the area who might be able to help me? I can pay you, though not the full $100/hr a mechanic normally gets.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Anyone near Denver who can help me with transmission removal?

It doesn't take any special tools at all, unbolt it and lower it out the bottom of the car. You just need a friend (hopefully he likes to bench press) or a trans jack to get it in/out. What tools are you not sure about? I'd say the most specialized tools are for separating the ball joints and the socket for the axles... I think its a 32mm and I didn't have one and I still got it off, I would invest in a pickle fork to remove ball joints though.

Vehicle

You mention the two main things in worried about - first, I'm a weak 135 pound 6 foot person, and second I'm not sure what a pickle form is. So I should also invest in a trans jack to take to the junkyard?
    I just learned that the manual transmissions are rarer than the autos and am frustrated that the local junkyard crushed two of them. They have a high turnover rate and rareness won't slow them down. Next time they have one, I will try to retrieve it.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I laid a 2x4 across my engine bay from side to side and wrapped a rope around the board and transmission so when I lowered it I just let the rope slip in a controlled way down. After it was off I realized how light it actually is. 60-70lbs, to put it back on I did the same trick so I wouldn't drop it but really I just lifted it into place from the top and slid it on.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I was seriously hoping you already had a trans... I would honestly advise against grabbing any old one from the junk yard, whatever problems yours has they probably also have. It sickens me to see how many times Ive seen "manual trans replacement" recently.
    I am no bigger than you, I got it out of the car when I replaced my clutch no problem. I had a friend push it up in the car because I couldn't keep it steady enough on my floor jack, it is possible, but a trans jack has a bigger foot so the trans can't wobble off. But yeah, the trans only weighs 70lbs, eat your wheaties and you can handle it. Idk how youd get it in from the top though, if I did that Id get cock blocked by the frame rail. If you aren't worried about your alignment I do know this trans will fit through the wheel well though.

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-12016-15...2173385&sr=8-2 This is a pickle fork, you stick it in the ball joint to make it come loose, just be careful not to break the boot or you are going to be pressing a new ball joint in. Get a big hammer and hit the end of the lower control arm and hopefully it breaks loose without too much effort.

What is the issue with your current trans, I really hope you can save that one.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Let me clarify, I slid the tranny under the car then reached through the top of engine bay to grab the tranny from the floor and lifted into place on the engine. There are dowel pins and the shaft you slide it on to align so it will stay there till you get all the bolts on or at least a few.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Let me clarify, I slid the tranny under the car then reached through the top of engine bay to grab the tranny from the floor and lifted into place on the engine. There are dowel pins and the shaft you slide it on to align so it will stay there till you get all the bolts on or at least a few.
    That makes more sense. I did not have a fun time getting the damn thing to go on the dowels last time, so I cant imagine doing that. Maybe with the help of a cherry picker, that does sound easier than a floor jack.

Vehicle

Ah no, I don't have one. It sticks in 1st and reverse and 5th is nonexistent. It also hemorrhages oil and shakes around 45 mph or higher, but I don't know if those are related. How else could I fix it?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Ugh sounds like its been starved of oil. Can you actually not get it into 5th? Have you changed/filled it with oil? It just takes engine oil, but I think I had less stiff 1-2 and vibrated less with a regular tranny oil like Honda green. The shift shaft seal is the bitch that has a high chance of leaking and the trans has to be disassembled to fix it. Not hard to disassemble the trans if you follow the manual, but it might be a bit much if youre new to wrenching.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    You mention the two main things in worried about - first, I'm a weak 135 pound 6 foot person, and second I'm not sure what a pickle form is. So I should also invest in a trans jack to take to the junkyard?
    I just learned that the manual transmissions are rarer than the autos and am frustrated that the local junkyard crushed two of them. They have a high turnover rate and rareness won't slow them down. Next time they have one, I will try to retrieve it.
    I would hunt around for a good shop and have them do the work. They may be able to get a reman 5 speed through connections that we dont have.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Hmm, no I have not put oil/fluid into it yet, though I'm guessing the damage is done (before I got it, I got it this way). 5th does nothing at all, it feels as if it doesn't exist, no grinding, no popping, just neutral flopping.
    Alright, there's a place that did work on my 84 Prelude years ago called Hondamotive, now called Japan Automotive, that I could try.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Chat them up a little bring in a box of donuts.

You can drive around on 1-4 5th is just overdrive for the highway.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

I totally agree! I'm more concerned about the shaking and the sticking in lower gears (sometimes I can't get it *out* of 1st when parking). 5th isn't as much fun as the lower gears in an A20 anyway.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

its the clutch...shut the motor off real quick and pull it out of gear and restart it. The clutch can be adjusted with the cable but Id say you got more going on then that.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

I mean, I do have a new Luk clutch to put in, at least, whenever I get around to fixing the trans.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Ok, you definitely ought to drain the oil and put something else in it. I think I used Delo 10w-30, thats cheap and is full of additive, Rotella too. Fill it with the fill hole slightly uphill and try to overfill it a tad, its leaking anyway.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

You're going to have a devil of a time finding a working trans. They are rare as hen's teeth. I went through 5 or so trying to find even enough parts to cobble together into a working one. I went through every salvage trans in California and never did get anything remotely close to rebuildable. I finally found a rebuilt unit through mantrans.com, but it still had some minor issues. That was maybe 50k miles ago and now it doesn't want to go into 1st and crunches with every shift into 5th. I'm not sure what I'll do when it fails. All that to say, do everything you can to save what you have because you aren't likely to find anything better.

When I installed the rebuilt, I had to buy a trans jack because it simply would not slide into place. I assume the input shaft was jamming in the clutch plate somehow. The trans jack allowed me to align the trans perfectly prior to sliding it into place. Then it worked. Yours might go on easily, but it might not. Be prepared for the worst.

A pickle fork will destroy your ball joint boots, which will eventually destroy your ball joints. You can buy proper tools to separate ball joints, which I'd recommend. On the other hand, you might consider replacing your ball joints anyway, as a preventive measure, but that will involve more tools, more cost and more learning. Here's a tip, new ball joints come apart with great difficulty. Old ball joints come apart easily and the worn out ones fall apart on their own.

I'm pretty sure you DON'T have to remove the axles from the hubs to pull the trans, which saves you the struggle of loosening the spindle nuts. Check the manual for more details.

Fifth gear failure is a common issue that you can fix easily without pulling the trans. Just search around the site for info on how to do it. The first gear issue is probably clutch-related like someone else mentioned, so check your clutch adjustment. Note, you probably don't need a new clutch to fix it, but you might need a new clutch cable. Vibration is a very uncommon issue with these transmissions, so check your tire balance and suspension components before assuming it's the trans.

I think the consensus on the site a few years ago was that Honda's Manual Transmission Fluid (from the dealership) yields the smoothest transmission operation.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you learn.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Snooz, all my years wrenching and I have legitimately never seen a separator like that. Im going to buy one right now. You can still get away with a pickle fork but if you havent used it hundreds of times I think it comes down to whether the Gods are feeling generous that day in order to not rip the boots.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Happy to help!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle

Thank you very much for the information! I really don't like the prospect of a working trans being rare. I have two of these, one with a working trans that I'm selling cause it has no title and a lot of rust, and one with a broken trans. This all makes me feel like I would be better served by swapping the trans I already have in.

I would like to be sure the issue is actually not the clutch though, since yes the gear engagement/disengagement issues do actually have a very clutch feel to them, though I don't know about 5th. You push it towards fifth as far as you can and there is *nothing*, like one big L shaped neutral. I could live without it, but why should I if I have a perfectly good trans in my driveway already in an untitled car?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yeah I don't really see the point in selling a junk car with no title, strip that thing of its good parts and find a scrap yard that will take it.

As for the clutch, I had a lot of trouble with mine too. You should replace the cable because my original was stretched too long to properly adjust it anymore, I got around it for a while by essentially moving the metal ball on the end up the cable about an inch and a half by cutting a 1/4" steel tube lengthwise and squeezing it back together on the cable. You can see some pics on my cars thread https://www.3geez.com/forum/3geez-ac...oject-log.html Tighten the plastic nut on the top of the bracket until the clutch arm has no play but not tight enough that its pulling on the arm and putting pressure against the clutch. Now go in the car and see how far you can press the pedal down, you might have to remove everything from behind the clutch pedal like I did, I can't explain why but at some point my car gained several inches of clutch pedal travel.

Vehicle

I feel pressure on the pedal close to the top of it's range of movement, but in actual driving, I notice that it's fully engaged very close to the end of it's movement. I'm not sure what it's doing in the middle, but it's nothing useful. I pulled the car out today:

I noted that it made a grinding sound every time I attempted to put it in reverse. I found that interesting. I spent a few hours searching for data on the forums and here is what I found:

How to fix 5th gear if it is simply worn away:
    1. Remove intake plumbing, battery and tray (for access), drain transmission (remove fill plug first*), remove the fifth gear cover (8 6mm bolts I think)
    2. Unstake both shaft nuts, remove the fifth gear fork spring pin (with punch)
    3. Shift transmission into 1st or reverse, also engage fifth gear by hand. If your fifth gearset has bad splines you may need to jam a rag in the gear or something else creative to remove the shaft nuts. The idea is to get the shafts not to rotate freely.
    4. Remove the shaft nuts with 30 mm socket. ONE OF THEM IS LEFT HANDED, but I forget which one. Check before you start. The Helm manual is posted on 3geez somewhere.
    5. Pull everything off both shafts: fifth gearset, needle bearings, spares, shim(s), synchronizer assembly
    6. Reassemble in reverse order. Use new shaft nuts and STAKE THEM HARD (don't ask). RTV alone is fine for the fifth gear cover.

And:
    You’re not getting into anything too deep. You’re just removing the outer housing that you’ll see on the right end of your tranny. About a dozen 10mm bolts, then some big nuts to remove to get the gears off. Just be aware that one of those big nuts are left handed threads, (lefty tightly, righty loosey)

Here is a picture (not mine) of what a worn away 5th gear might look like:

I will first check the trans fluid on a level surface, as I would hate to never know if it was ran oil-deprived. Then I will attempt to get to the 5th gear and see if it's torn up, which I hope it is, as it seems like the easiest fix here. Somewhere in there I will try tightening the clutch cable.

Lastly, this looks like the right gear to me, brand new, what do you think? HONDA A2 & ACURA CG TRANSMISSION 5TH GEAR KIT 36T/25T FITS '85-'89 (HON-5) - Transmission Parts Distributors
    And are these the right parts to rebuild the trans if needed? https://www.transmissionpartsdistrib...85-89-bk238ws/

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Don't care about the pedal, its got a relief spring in it and the clutch itself feels dead and lifeless, the pressure plate is hardly strong enough to give you any pedal feedback over this. Check the clutch arm play.

Problem with 5th being torn up is the metal, look at all the sludge in that pic, thats all metal and its going to get into everything else.

That does look like the parts you need though

Vehicle

So if 5th is ground up, and metal is all over the trans, then all the gears will grind up too unless I take it apart, or can I flush it out?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You might be able to flush it out, but the trans probably needs to stay relatively upright. You can use a cheap engine oil, easiest way would be jack the right wheel up so the fill hole is higher than normal, fill it til it runs out, move the jack to the other wheel and you might let it sit in that position for a few minutes before draining it, let the sludge run to the lowest point. Problem is there is a trough in the bottom of the trans where the shifter goes, its going to want to sit in there because theres a magnet there to catch it too. I reckon you should be able to flush out all the loose sludge though. I wouldn't go through the trouble if you plan on opening the trans though, which is actually pretty straightforward if you feel up for it.