Thread: New to the 3rd gen world (1989 DX)

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

New to the 3rd gen world (1989 DX)

Hello everyone! I’m glad to be back in the Accord game (preciously owned 1992 LX) Accords are probably my favorite Hondas. I’m picking up a 1989 DX 5spd in a couple of days. The owner told me only issue is that the alternator needs to be replaced. I’ve been scouring the internet for a comprehensive vault of 3rd gen knowledge, and I think I’ve found it here! Are there any common issues in these cars that I should keep my eyes open for? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I’ll be posting pics once I hit my 5 posts and pick up the car.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: New to the 3rd gen world (1989 DX)

Common problems are its old and you will end up replacing basically everything that is still original. They're actually pretty dependable imo and mine is a hoopty hot rod, do expect some oil leaks and such. Look out for the shifter seal leaking, leaking distributor seals and a sticking advance mechanism, oil filter housing leak, and keep an eye out for headlight issues because the switch probably needs opened up and cleaned. That is about it unless your head gasket blows, its an old Honda, they're notorious for that, but its not a difficult job. You are probably going to want to save yourself some pain and do a vacuum delete on the carb if your emissions allows it.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFuqboy View Post
    Hello everyone! I’m glad to be back in the Accord game (preciously owned 1992 LX) Accords are probably my favorite Hondas. I’m picking up a 1989 DX 5spd in a couple of days. The owner told me only issue is that the alternator needs to be replaced. I’ve been scouring the internet for a comprehensive vault of 3rd gen knowledge, and I think I’ve found it here! Are there any common issues in these cars that I should keep my eyes open for? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I’ll be posting pics once I hit my 5 posts and pick up the car.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX

yeah the guy disappeared and reappeared so i'm buying it this weekend. so glad i found this forum. there's literally no where to go for info in this car!
    i've only been in contact with the owner vaguely, so i only know what he's told me thus far. alternator needs replacement, and ac not working. can't wait to see what's up under the hood when its here. he says the car stayed in his family tho and he is the third owner. so im hoping maintenance is at least on par for the most part.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingFuqboy View Post
    yeah the guy disappeared and reappeared so i'm buying it this weekend. i've only been in contact with the owner vaguely,
    That all smells pretty fishy to me. Take a friend with you and have him watch from a distance, ready to call 911 if the deal goes bad. Don't agree to meet after dark or in a sketchy neighborhood. Hopefully it pans out, but watch your 6 on this one.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Do not take candy from strangers, unless its Halloween, then it is perfectly ok or something like that