Thread: a20a1 88 accord when cold starts then stalls

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord s

a20a1 88 accord when cold starts then stalls

rebuilt the kiehin fully, got it running top notch all the time with one exception. on cold starts below -10c its starts like normal, ramps up like it should then in 5-10 seconds just drops out to full stall, not even a stumble. then second start choke works perfect. at -20c it does the ramp up and stall twice then fine. next time it hits that cold I'm gonna get the wife to start it and see if the butterfly is opening when this happens, i suspect it is. anyone else experience this or fix such an issue in the past? I've rebuilt the unloader and replaced the choke pull diaphragm/pot. and have the tab dialed in once running it does it's steps and works perfect. my best guess at this time is a solenoid might be firing when it shouldn't in the black box. it's definitely not leaking vacuum and is tuned and timed with exhaust sniffer and timing light as it should be. it just turned 135000 km so it's definitely done a lot of sitting in its life I got it from the original owner who drove it to church on sundays and groceries until 2018. during -9 or warmer this doesn't happen just starts first turn as it should. i'm almost sure the choke pull is doing something funky through a solenoid I'll update I get eyes on it in those temps. I haven't changed or tested the air intake temp sensor but I'm not sure it has any input into this circuit/action but I may be wrong.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: a20a1 88 accord when cold starts then stalls

Well your way more up on the stock carb than most. Stay with it!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

What happens when you try to start the car with the choke open?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 accord s

finally got a chance to watch it cold, the choke was opening way to fast, realized the choke tab "c" had a piece of hose on it and it was hanging up on the linkage instead of the spring, fixed that last week started at minus 17 today no issues.