Thread: 1989 Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi - To But or Not To Buy?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi

1989 Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi - To But or Not To Buy?

Hi All, I'm new to the 3geez forum.

Looks like there's years of experience on here based on some of the posts I've read!

I'm close to buying my first classic car as a restoration project, and it's a 1989 Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi. The car is Ex UK, but is in Ireland now (hasn't drove for a little over year, but I believe is running).

Any advice on the key areas / things to look out for (rust , leaks, electrical issues etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ken

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Re: 1989 Accord Aerodeck 2.0 EXi - To But or Not To Buy?

got the exact same spec as you in white! (Manual) picked it up in June. Watch for rust on rear arches, replacements can be bought but not a cheap job (I can share the vendor). Check when timing belt was last done (someone will below will know how recent it should be). Any mayo in the radiator/valve cover likely means blown head. Is the coolant a good colour, mine was rusty brown which meant so were the coolant pipes.

Parts can be difficult in the UK for me, likely similar in ROI, not many accords around for donor parts, i.e. whole panels and specific Aerodeck trim can be hard to find. I get most from RockAuto which is US shipped, so stock is fine, just dont expect to get them from eurocarparts etc.

The aftermarket support is meh, but I'm not fussed with that as I like it original anyway. Lots of people run lowered springs, best place to have a look around for that is the 3G Accord Aerodeck Forum on Facebook. People are super helpful on here and there.

Ultimately it's an old car so keep an eye out for things like spongy brakes, a rusty petrol tank if you can check, I've heard the rear ball joints can be susceptible too. Electric windows, mirrors, pop-ups, should all be fine but test them all anyway as you can haggle if not.

That's off the top of my head anyway, the car itself is great to drive, comfy ride on original springs, great styling IMO too. Cruises the motorway really nicely, check if cruise control works, added bonus. Good luck!

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    got the exact same spec as you in white! (Manual) picked it up in June. Watch for rust on rear arches, replacements can be bought but not a cheap job (I can share the vendor). Check when timing belt was last done (someone will below will know how recent it should be). Any mayo in the radiator/valve cover likely means blown head. Is the coolant a good colour, mine was rusty brown which meant so were the coolant pipes.

Parts can be difficult in the UK for me, likely similar in ROI, not many accords around for donor parts, i.e. whole panels and specific Aerodeck trim can be hard to find. I get most from RockAuto which is US shipped, so stock is fine, just dont expect to get them from eurocarparts etc.

The aftermarket support is meh, but I'm not fussed with that as I like it original anyway. Lots of people run lowered springs, best place to have a look around for that is the 3G Accord Aerodeck Forum on Facebook. People are super helpful on here and there.

Ultimately it's an old car so keep an eye out for things like spongy brakes, a rusty petrol tank if you can check, I've heard the rear ball joints can be susceptible too. Electric windows, mirrors, pop-ups, should all be fine but test them all anyway as you can haggle if not.

That's off the top of my head anyway, the car itself is great to drive, comfy ride on original springs, great styling IMO too. Cruises the motorway really nicely, check if cruise control works, added bonus. Good luck!

Thanks Sandwich. It's an auto version I'm looking at. Good to know about parts availability (or lack of). I do know one arch needs welding, and possibly a small area of both sills. I'm a mechanic, so going to tackle this myself if I buy. Apart from that the car looks quite clean (looking at he photos). He's asking €2K, so for a car this rare, I think its reasonable?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The car is easy to work on and there is a lot of power tucked away if you feel like bringing it out. One of the better handling chassis and the lightest double wishbone Accord. If you are gung ho about fixing rust, you need to be careful with the left side rear quarter panel, the inside always rusts around the fuel filler, the most structural is rust on the pinch welds. Electrical is pretty reliable aside from the damned headlight stalk, but it will probably leak... thats just a 30yo car, there isn't too many seals.

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Quote Originally Posted by KenD View Post
    Thanks Sandwich. It's an auto version I'm looking at. Good to know about parts availability (or lack of). I do know one arch needs welding, and possibly a small area of both sills. I'm a mechanic, so going to tackle this myself if I buy. Apart from that the car looks quite clean (looking at he photos). He's asking €2K, so for a car this rare, I think its reasonable?
    €2K sounds quite reasonable to me for the welding it will need, you won't see another on the road (except my mate who has also got a white EXI ), good to hear you're a mechanic too.

If you do pick it up the I found the replacement arch panel cheapest from these guys: [email protected] I believe the part numbers are 2920591 & 2920592 for that vendor. I'd recommend picking them up sooner rather than later, panels like this will go.

If you've got the kit you could go to town with a compression test and a combustion leak test while you're at it, piece of mind and all that.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

DX User
    Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    The car is easy to work on and there is a lot of power tucked away if you feel like bringing it out. One of the better handling chassis and the lightest double wishbone Accord. If you are gung ho about fixing rust, you need to be careful with the left side rear quarter panel, the inside always rusts around the fuel filler, the most structural is rust on the pinch welds. Electrical is pretty reliable aside from the damned headlight stalk, but it will probably leak... thats just a 30yo car, there isn't too many seals.
    Thansk ShiRen, good info on the quarter panel rust around the filler. Have you come across any posts that might have photo / video coverage of this type of panel replacement?
    If I buy (viewing tomorrow morning) I'll definitely seek advise from the forum members as to possible mods / improvements that could be made. I'm also curios as to whether the overall preference would be to keep everything original, or go with a more modern sporty appearance (alloys, full colour bumpers (fenders!), slightly lower springs etc. It's red, and I've seen some photos of one and it looked very nice, sporty but understated.

DX User
    Vehicle

€2K sounds quite reasonable to me for the welding it will need, you won't see another on the road (except my mate who has also got a white EXI ), good to hear you're a mechanic too.

If you do pick it up the I found the replacement arch panel cheapest from these guys: [email protected] I believe the part numbers are 2920591 & 2920592 for that vendor. I'd recommend picking them up sooner rather than later, panels like this will go.

If you've got the kit you could go to town with a compression test and a combustion leak test while you're at it, piece of mind and all that.

Look forward to seeing what you do with it!
    Good stuff, so for the panels, you just send Cadeon an email with you request for particular panels and they get back with availability / price?

I see in your post you've been using a workshop manual fro the 2.0 EXi......Any idea where I could get a copy?

Thanks,
    Ken

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Good stuff, so for the panels, you just send Cadeon an email with you request for particular panels and they get back with availability / price?

I see in your post you've been using a workshop manual fro the 2.0 EXi......Any idea where I could get a copy?

Thanks,
    Ken
    yeh shoot Cadeon an email mentioning which side(s) you want and the part number and they will get you an invoice. Another site I found was here: https://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/ho...back-1985-1989

The shop manual is super useful, top link on here: SHOP MANUAL - HONDA ACCORD AERODECK 1986-1989 then any supplements for your year just below (I've never really used the supplements previously).

Up to you what you do with it! That facebook group I mentioned is good for aerodeck inspiration as well as the 3Geez facebook group.

DX User
    Vehicle

yeh shoot Cadeon an email mentioning which side(s) you want and the part number and they will get you an invoice. Another site I found was here: https://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/ho...back-1985-1989

The shop manual is super useful, top link on here: SHOP MANUAL - HONDA ACCORD AERODECK 1986-1989 then any supplements for your year just below (I've never really used the supplements previously).

Up to you what you do with it! That facebook group I mentioned is good for aerodeck inspiration as well as the 3Geez facebook group.
    OMG: Just downloaded the workshop manual and the level of detail is excellent!....thanks also for the tips on parts suppliers / Facebook group etc.

DX User
    Vehicle

After months of trying to arrange a replacement V5 to enable me to register the car in Ireland, I'm delighted to say I've finally got the car and started assessing what needs to be done to restore it. The list to start with - car has been off the road for around 4-5 years:
    1) Rad cooling fan melted, due to motor seizing and overheating (managed to get a fan from a Prelude an make one good assy)
    2) Checked T/Belt and it was in very good condition - Engine fires first time and sounds sweet, so a full service, synthetic oil, valve clearance adjustment and ignition timing check, it should run even nicer
    3) Most of the electrics work with exception of the sunroof, electric antenna (clicking but not extending).
    4) Hand brake cable seized, so not holding the car (could probably do with a couple of front brake discs - slight pulsing in the pedal)

The worst items:
    5) Both rear wheel arches require replacing (have replacements sourced through Cadeon)
    6) FWD Inner sections of the rear wheel arches are quite bad, and will need to be repaired with filler sections [any tips on this would be greatly appreciated]
    7) Both rear sections of the door sills will most likely need repair [advice on where to source sill repair sections also welcomed]
    8) Passenger and Driver floor wells were filling with rain water and carpet was starting to smell, but I think this was due to a combination of a poorly sealed replacement windscreen (LH side), and sunroof drain separation at the footwell on the RH side (testing ongoing!)

The car is so rare here in Ireland, the Vehicle Registration Office didn't even have a code in their system for it ...so I'm really looking forward to getting her back on the road!!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

After months of trying to arrange a replacement V5 to enable me to register the car in Ireland, I'm delighted to say I've finally got the car and started assessing what needs to be done to restore it. The list to start with - car has been off the road for around 4-5 years:
    1) Rad cooling fan melted, due to motor seizing and overheating (managed to get a fan from a Prelude an make one good assy)
    2) Checked T/Belt and it was in very good condition - Engine fires first time and sounds sweet, so a full service, synthetic oil, valve clearance adjustment and ignition timing check, it should run even nicer
    3) Most of the electrics work with exception of the sunroof, electric antenna (clicking but not extending).
    4) Hand brake cable seized, so not holding the car (could probably do with a couple of front brake discs - slight pulsing in the pedal)

The worst items:
    5) Both rear wheel arches require replacing (have replacements sourced through Cadeon)
    6) FWD Inner sections of the rear wheel arches are quite bad, and will need to be repaired with filler sections [any tips on this would be greatly appreciated]
    7) Both rear sections of the door sills will most likely need repair [advice on where to source sill repair sections also welcomed]
    8) Passenger and Driver floor wells were filling with rain water and carpet was starting to smell, but I think this was due to a combination of a poorly sealed replacement windscreen (LH side), and sunroof drain separation at the footwell on the RH side (testing ongoing!)

The car is so rare here in Ireland, the Vehicle Registration Office didn't even have a code in their system for it ...so I'm really looking forward to getting her back on the road!!
    I have been wondering how it went. Thank you for the update.

This guy here been going thru his and has some good vids also if you dont mind some cussing ...

'86 Aerodeck EX-2.0i
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Glad to hear you bought it and have got it running nicely! was worried you didnt end up buying it in the end.

A couple of bits, on the Antenna, a replacement is possible but it requires a LOT of work, haven't dont it but read that it involves removing the windscreen. Mine is also kaput, and I dont want to disturb it in case I just introduce a leak. I'm planning to install a discreet stick on one for one of the back windows I reckon, and make use of the button for something else.

The flooding in your footwells is VERY likely the drainage holes in the sunroof, I havent done this job but I recommend searching for it on the 3G Accord Aerodeck facebook group as someone did a lengthy post on it recently. As far as I know two tubes run down the front pillars and two down the back C pillar, often get clogged and cause a back log causing water to enter the footwells and slosh in the roof behind the sunroof.
    edit: quite a few pictures in the comments of this post: 3G Accord Aerodeck Forum

One of the things I plan on doing soon is installing an oil pressure gauge (as well as others) apparently the light nicely comes on after your head gasket has blown! FYI if you do the oil pressure sender has 1/8 BSP thread but most sold are 1/8 NPT so you'll need an adpater.

Keep us updated, my mechanical expertise is pretty poor so it will be great to see what you can do

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    I have been wondering how it went. Thank you for the update.

This guy here been going thru his and has some good vids also if you dont mind some cussing ...

'86 Aerodeck EX-2.0i
    I wish you'd mentioned this sooner Blue! seems like a treasure trove, should have been reading beyond the 3geez accords section...
    Last edited by Sandwich; 03-17-2021 at 02:17 AM.

1989 Aerodeck EXI, stored for 13 years, now being brought back to life.
    A 'small' project...

DX User
    Vehicle

Well....I've finally managed to find and seal my fifth rainwater leak into the car, so in case any of you are having a flooding / damp floor, my leaks were the following:

1) Electric aerial has a drain which goes from the motor into a Y juction (other section of the Y is the sunroof drain), and the aerial drain was blocked at the motor. Thos meant water was backing up inside the motor, rotted the circular cover and water dripped from the corroded hole. FIX: Remove the aerial motor (which doesn't require the removal of the windscreen, but you do need to pull the fusebox and some brackets to one side) clear the blockage in the tube, clean up the motor, refit and reseal the aerial drain to the Y piece. I have photos if anyone needs them.
    2) The very end of the sunroof drain going into the Y piece was just sitting loosely in it, so water seeping out. FIX: Sealed the end of the pipe in with a flexible sealant.
    3) Y Piece drain (for sunroof & aerial) goes through the frame of the car and comes out under the wheel arch cover. Unfortunately, it's outlet sits right above the grommet (seal) for the bonnet pull cable, which in my case was perished, so the drain water was dropping onto the cable, and running passed the torn seal and back inside the car! FIX: Sealed the perished grommet with flexible sealant.
    4) Very same problem as 3), but on the passenger side, under the wheel arch cover. Same fix.
    5) The windscreen had been replaced at some stage, and wasn't sealed properly along the top of the screen (above visor), water was dropping onto the headlining rubber (so was not wetting the sloth, and couldn't be seen), was running along the rubber and in behind the pillar plastic trim, and down in behind the dashboard. FIX: located the exact spot where the water was seeping in through the screen seal, dried it fully with heat gun, sealed it with flexible sealant.

So with carpet removed now for a few weeks, the interior is bone dry,

Funny how one problem leads to another: Electric sunroof wasn't working, did some troubleshooting (using the manuals from the site, which are great!), and found one of the relays (two of them under the drivers seat) did not have continuity as per one of the drawings. This was due to the water that had gathered inside on the floor, going inside the relay and corroding one of the contacts. Because it was an old school relay, I was able to open it up, use sand paper to clean the contacts, and hey presto....the roof works again!

Need help sourcing parts guys: I need two rear wheel arches and sill sections......any ideas where I might get them. Tried CADEON, but they're very slow to respond.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Sounds like you had quite the adventure. Glad you got it all squared away.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89 Aerodeck EXI

Great job on those leaks, good to know for future reference, thanks for the write-up.

I found another site for the arches when I was looking: Honda Accord Hatchback 1985-1989 Car Body Panels | Car Body Panels 4U
    Unsure on the sills I'm afraid, you may have to get creative.

1989 Aerodeck EXI, stored for 13 years, now being brought back to life.
    A 'small' project...

DX User
    Vehicle

Great job on those leaks, good to know for future reference, thanks for the write-up.

I found another site for the arches when I was looking: Honda Accord Hatchback 1985-1989 Car Body Panels | Car Body Panels 4U
    Unsure on the sills I'm afraid, you may have to get creative.
    Thanks for the link Sandwich, I think you're right about needing to be creative regarding the sills!....I think the build up of the structure behind the wheel arch and above the sill will be challenging.....full of gunk filler at the moment, so I'll have no structure to use as a template ....fun times ahead