Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opportunity on a Donor Vehicle

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Opportunity on a Donor Vehicle

Those are gonna have to depreciate a lot more to get into my price range. Even then, I'm not sure I'd be able to stuff it all under my low hood.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

This is just something I think about, but does that motor seem true to what the 3g is? What it was meant to be?
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Well ill have to sleep on that one.

I just thought buy it drive it smile a little.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    This is just something I think about, but does that motor seem true to what the 3g is? What it was meant to be?
    Not slept yet but reading this on the Camaro forums makes me think I want to go in this direction with my car.

'95 Honda Civic DX hatchback, with a LOT of mods. (K24 engine with a BW EFR7163 turbo, 6 sp manual trans, Hoosier 295-30-15 A7s up front (225-45-15 rear), homemade front splitter with diveplanes, complete flat bottom with rear diffuser and a sizable wing. on low boost it makes 450ish whp; high boost is close to 600 whp. weight with me in it is ~2400 lbs. she moves out pretty well; on low boost I did a 2:01.9 at VIR full course on a very hot day at the UTCC event 2019, and was having serious overheating / pulling timing so was probably 380-400ish whp level. on a decent day with the overheating solved this year I'm looking for a 1:58.x lap, which I'm pretty sure is doable.

OneDrive Video of a guy running Virginia international raceway. Stock record with a Camaro ZL1 1LE is about 1:57 to compare I think car and driver lap was 2:00 but there course may be longer.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Well ill have to sleep on that one.

I just thought buy it drive it smile a little.
    I'm too busy being angry to smile. Anyway, I got no money for a CTR. Plus, I suspect a CTR would only remind me of all the things I don't like about new cars. I felt positively claustrophobic in that 2019 Civic I test drove. It dwarfs the Red Car, but felt so cramped inside. I'm a skinny dude, but everything was much too close, looming. I couldn't see out of it. It's not a beautiful car. More like a basketball sneaker with wheels. I'm telling you, sell all your auto stocks. Tesla is one battery advancement away from putting them all out of business.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Not sure what you didn't like about the 2019 Civic, but if I had to complain at all about my ctr is it still looks like my old Si inside, and yes it is very large. The seats are tight enough the dash feels about right, like strapping in a cockpit, similar to sitting in an fd rx7 or supra. It makes the Accord feel a little unsafe with its thin interior panels and low belt line, but my wifes 2012 Fit is about the same way, the seating position just feels a little more grandma-ish. Visibility in the ctr is fine, I could place it exactly where I wanted when I shot it over the rumble strips in turn 1 when I raced it at Houston MSR, setting up to full throttle the whole way around turn 2, but the Accord basically spoils you for visibility, don't compare anything to that, its outrageous.

Comparing the ctr to the base model sedan and the Si sedan, its a totally different car from the base model, but they fix a lot of the quality issues from the Si, it feels like a much nicer car, or really the level of nice a Civic should be, minus the sun roof, heated seats, lanewatch, and phone connectivity. Its a strange trade off. I have never spent a lot of time in any trim coupe or hatch, but ik the coupes are reeeaally tight inside, fuck that, though if I sat in one again I would make sure the seat was all the way down because I kid you not the seat height adjustment is probably 10". The stereo was balls in the Si sedan because the subwoofer and rear speakers were mounted in the deck and I think now that I've heard the difference any infinite baffle speaker is going to sound like dog shit to me now.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Yeah, it might have been a coupe. They said something about "sport" too. It had an imposing center console that started big and wide and kept on coming till it was almost up to my shoulder. I kept banging my elbow into it when I shifted. The length of legroom was great, but width was non-existent. My knees were fractions of an inch from the dash. They'd be toast in a crash. The belt lines are all much too high so forget about squeezing into a tight parking spot. You can't see enough to avoid hitting the cars next to you. You run over curbs in parking lots because you can't see them. And don't get me started on all the new "you're too stupid to drive this car" naggy tech crap. The doors that lock themselves. The lights you can't turn off. The lane departure jazz, the tire pressure jazz, all the constant reminders of what corporate America really thinks of us. Then there's all the satnav garbage, radios with incomprehensible controls, all the irritating blinky blinky everywhere constantly trying to distract you from the task at hand. And don't forget the bomb in the center of the steering wheel, strategically aimed at your face, just waiting for the opportunity to make your plastic surgeon richer.

See Shiren. Now you got me started!
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 03-29-2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

In the hope of redeeming myself somewhat, I did rent a Corolla a few months ago that I didn't hate. It was peppy and responsive. It was sticky in the turns and didn't enrage me with blockheaded human factors engineering. It was a decent car. Seriously. What surprised me most was that it had a CVT that was smooth and refined. Not like driving a blender at all. I have to give Toyota credit for that one. They did well.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I typed up a response to you twice and my computer crashed both times before I hit post. Sorry Snooz, but the gods do not allow me to continue this conversation.
    *angrily opens reddit for answers*

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Spooky!
    Dr_Snooz