Thread: 89 Accord DX new carb, need advice plz

DX User
    Vehicle
    1989 Honda accord DX

89 Accord DX new carb, need advice plz

I bought an 89 DX sedan from a very elderly lady recently with 44,236 miles. It had been driven 56 miles since Oct '17. I drained the tank and replaced the pump and both filters. Car would run but had carb issues. I bought a new carb and replaced and car runs great but has a high idle. Choke is working and no vacuum leaks. Idle screw is backed off...any help appreciated

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: 89 Accord DX new carb, need advice plz

Dropbox - 1989AccordServiceManual.pdf - Simplify your life

You are going to have to dig real deep into section 11, starts on page 108. I think it points mostly to the frequency solenoid valves and the idle boost valve and solenoid... There is a lot to take in here. First I would just look at the idle boost valve, its connected to the throttle linkage on the right side of the carb. Is it opening the throttle? Actually, you can just look down the carb and see if the throttle is open at all, and the throttle should be resting against the idle screw, if the idle screw is backed off the throttle blade will stick closed. Turn the idle screw in just far enough that the throttle blades don't stick when you snap them closed, we will use that as your base idle, it might be a little low once its running right though.

Before we jump into any hairy carb stuff, check your timing, the steps are on page 766-767. This is extremely important. Also your idle should drop and be very stumbley with the lines off the vacuum advance, if it is still high once its properly adjusted and the vacuum advance is not connected yet, it is pretty safe to move on... or you have a stuck vacuum advance, but you will probably run out of room to adjust you distributor or it will be way to one side.

Next you can follow the troubleshooting steps for the vacuum mayhem, but if you don't want to test everything meticulously you might at least try to unplug the electrical connection to the solenoids I mentioned, see if the idle drops, then pull the vacuum line off the solenoid and plug it, see if the idle drops. That might help narrow it down, but I have no clue. I am running a bare carb, its a bit cold natured, but vacuum lines are against my religion, I can really only point you around the manual if this is not a timing issue. If it is a timing issue then we have a write up on how to rebuild the TEC distributor, or replace it with a far superior Hitachi unit.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: 89 Accord DX new carb, need advice plz

Quote Originally Posted by hfd410 View Post
    I bought an 89 DX sedan from a very elderly lady recently with 44,236 miles. It had been driven 56 miles since Oct '17. I drained the tank and replaced the pump and both filters. Car would run but had carb issues. I bought a new carb and replaced and car runs great but has a high idle. Choke is working and no vacuum leaks. Idle screw is backed off...any help appreciated
    Welcome to the forums..enjoy that car!
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!