Thread: Possible upgraded ignitor for TEC distributor

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Possible upgraded ignitor for TEC distributor

Edit: This ignitor requires a VR conditioner to work with our distributors. See this post: Replacing ignitor with a GM HEI unit

My heart goes out to all of you folks that deal with your TEC dizzys, specifically you cali spec cars and fuel injected guys, but I may have found your salvation. Behold: Bosch 0 227 100 124 ignitor.

Lets start off with the problems
    • I have not tested it
    • I have no clue what the hole spacing is
    • I don't know what its heat tolerance is, I can only assume it is probably fine
    • connecting it to the dizzy may be interesting to say the least (they ofc don't make the exact style ignitor with the pins that go into the dizzy body)

But the pros tho...
    • This part won't fade into obscurity
    • Off brand parts are probably reliable
    • Frequently used in aftermarket applications

This is a ubiquitous single channel external ignitor recommended for use with Megasquirt, Haltech, and Motec (I haven't looked for others I have just found their documentation.) Ofc it comes on Euro cars, so junk yarding might be a tad difficult, but they can be found on Saab 900/9000 B202, Volvo 200/700 B230F, Porsch 928/944 would be the most comon cars.

Motec documentation
    Megasquirt documentation

Wiring should be pretty straightforward, the stock ignitor has an ignition positive, ground, coil output, and signal in from the pick up in the dizzy. If the bolt spacing is correct or close enough then one wire can be ran from the pickup to the ignitor and the rest can be tapped out of the original harness. There is a small possibility that this will require a different ignition coil, but being as it is a solid state component you should be able to run a more modern coil if they can handle being fired twice per rev. The stock ignitor may have some function in making the the distributor do its job, this is probably the biggest hurdle in throwing one in a distributor, but it may be as simple as putting a diode in or piggybacking off the stock ignitor.
    like this coil
    or this coil

Ebay Volvo Saab Porsche oem
    Part from O'Reilly's (90 Saab 900 turbo)
    O'Reilly's (87 Volvo 740 GLE turbo)
    O'Reilly's (90 Porsche 944 S2)
    Part on Rockauto
    And the cheapest Rockauto part which for some reason does not cross reference

Connector part number is Bosch 1 278 013 005
    AAFM Connector Bosch Ignition Module connector
    https://www.haltech.com/product/ht-0...y-bosch-7-pin/
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-pin-Femal...l/232564861216
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/142807037491
    Module and connector

If anyone is willing to work on this with me that would be great, I have no reason to spend money on this as I have a Hitachi dizzy.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 05-27-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: Possible upgraded ignitor for TEC distributor

Cool!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You're gonna try this for me right??

Vehicle
    88 LXi

My original is running or I would.

For myself I would probably look at using the GM HEI mo dual. its pretty popular swap like on my older Chrysler setup and there alot of after market distributors that use it.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

HEI ignitors are a little bit more involved often times. I was thinking about it too, but there is so many ways to wire it up. I think the 4 wire would be best.

Here is the simplest diagram I have seen, which should work but I have seen every other configuration under the sun. A lot of configurations ground pin W and pull pin G high with the distributor pickup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ignhei.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	10826

Edit: Ugh, I keep digging deeper into this and learning a bit more. Its only a pain because you are right The HEI is a better ignitor for our application because our distributor uses an internal VR sensor like the one in the diagram above. The Bosch 124 will work with a VR signal conditioner though... its just more work... or maybe it won't take the signal at all because it would rather have an advance signal. Which has lead me to another discovery... Some HEI and the Bosch 124 can add adjustment for coil dwell time if you add an ignition controller and don't want to go distributorless, which ofc could be done with an obd1 dizzy.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 05-27-2021 at 05:04 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Ok ok, you are right, I am just making realizations... I'm gonna have to rewrite this post

The HEI does not care what waveform you give it. Our distributors have a 2 wire VR sensor, magnetic sine wave, it will need conditioned to use with the Bosch 124. On an HEI ignitor they just go to W and G. Irrelevant, but for a 3 wire square wave hall effect you just wire the 12v wire to pin B and ground to pin W and the signal will pull pin G high on the square wave pulse, same for points.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

I dont think the Hall effect works...it has to be magnetic pickup. Its makes a little AC when you spin the distributor you can actually test with a regular DVM. I believe its a Sine wave where the Hall is Square.

Also to add you really need the matching coil that takes full 12 volts and has low resistance I think its .5 ohm or lower. Thats where the higher spark potential is.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

It does work with a hall effect sensor, the HEI ignitor, and probably even the stock one only need to see it go high, be it from magnetic induction from a VR sensor or your buddy poking the pin with a battery cable as fast as he can. here is an example Most ecus don't even read a hall effect sensor going negative because they are referenced across ground, its just a very precise 12v pulse unlike a VR sensor. Like I said, it would be the exact same for points If you were thinking about the hall sensor going across W and G directly, then yeah no.

The stock coil should work... it leaves much to be desired though.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 05-27-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Hall Effect or Reluctor? - Haltech

pretty good explanation of the pick ups.

I think megasquirt uses the HEI module.

Distributor Pickups

My understanding the 7,8 pin always gives you 10 degrees of advance unless one if the pins is active.

EDIT: MicroSquirt® Module by Bowling & Grippo ?2009
    Now running E85.