Thread: Key reminder chime

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord lxi

Key reminder chime

Alright so I a few months back I fixed my headlight reminder chime and more recently I replaced the control unit that’s underneath the radio that controls the seatbelt chime and got that working too. only thing I’m missing is the key reminder chime and I have absolutely no idea where to look to even try to fix it. Anyone know how to fix it to get it working again??

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: Key reminder chime

Quote Originally Posted by YeBoiSky View Post
    Alright so I a few months back I fixed my headlight reminder chime and more recently I replaced the control unit that’s underneath the radio that controls the seatbelt chime and got that working too. only thing I’m missing is the key reminder chime and I have absolutely no idea where to look to even try to fix it. Anyone know how to fix it to get it working again??
    Im not remembering a reminder for the key in the ignition. Headlight,seat belt and door open with key in ignition I think thats all there is.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    Honda Prelude BA2 1987 2.0i-16V. B20A1

No such thing as a key reminder in those cars.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn H8314 met Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You actually fixed the seatbelt buzzer??? Are you ok? Is someone hurting you? I don't know why anyone would want to hear that thing, if this is a cry for help please tell us.

Yeah no key reminder though, mine only chimes with key on door open because I wired my parking lights to be switched with ignition.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord lxi

Woops meant the key in ignition chime lol don’t know where I read it was called a key reminder

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord lxi

Yea lol I actually find it kinda soothing in an annoying “put your seat belt on” kinda way haha

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

There IS a key reminder chime. Unlike so many other cars that turn the chime on the moment the key touches the ignition switch, this one only chimes AFTER the ignition switch is turned off and ONLY when the door is also open. In other words, it ONLY operates when it seems like you're about to lock your keys in the car. It's not just an irritating buzzer that's constantly going off for no good reason. If you simply want to leave your doors open and listen to the stereo, it won't chime. That sensible design keeps it from being a damned nuisance that you want to find and smash. It lives in a grey box behind the cassette holder in the console. It's called the Integrated Control Unit and its operation is detailed on p. 25-102 in the manual. It also houses the seat belt alarm, headlight alarm, oil pressure light, the hazard flashers and something called a "key light timer". I think that's the little green light near the ignition switch. There's an entire troubleshooting section that should get you sorted out in short order. There's even a wiring diagram to aid in repairs.

:-D
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 05-27-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Oh yeah I guess after you pull the key out it does make a click, I always pull the key out and stick it back in when parking it... not only is my ignition tumbler fuuuucked, but I don't have the buzzer in that box, so I wouldn't remember.
    Isn't the headlight reminder a mechanical relay on the back of the fuse box though? Or maybe on the kick panel under the steering wheel?

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Not sure. There are some additional noise makers on the kick panel, but I don't remember what they do. I know the Integrated Control Unit still plays a part though.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

DX User

Sorry I can't help, but the key reminder chime beeps Morse code for "H" for Honda Soichiro.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    There IS a key reminder chime. Unlike so many other cars that turn the chime on the moment the key touches the ignition switch, this one only chimes AFTER the ignition switch is turned off and ONLY when the door is also open. In other words, it ONLY operates when it seems like you're about to lock your keys in the car. It's not just an irritating buzzer that's constantly going off for no good reason. If you simply want to leave your doors open and listen to the stereo, it won't chime. That sensible design keeps it from being a damned nuisance that you want to find and smash. It lives in a grey box behind the cassette holder in the console. It's called the Integrated Control Unit and its operation is detailed on p. 25-102 in the manual. It also houses the seat belt alarm, headlight alarm, oil pressure light, the hazard flashers and something called a "key light timer". I think that's the little green light near the ignition switch. There's an entire troubleshooting section that should get you sorted out in short order. There's even a wiring diagram to aid in repairs.

:-D
    holy shit, i wonder if that's what was causing that funky electrical shit that was going on when I got the car. The door dinger would randomly lose it's mind and when it happened the oil light would flash in tune with it.... hmmmmm, I'm going to have to investigate this now lol
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.