Thread: The Car I Don't Like - 93 Accord SE

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The Car I Don't Like - 93 Accord SE

I'll throw these up as a kind of placeholder. This is the car that I've never really liked.

I bought it way back in 2005. It had 105k miles and a case of piston slap that I thought was loose valves. My bad.

I wanted a BMW in the worst way, but when my stepmom totaled Dad's only car, I bought them a Dodge Intrepid that they wanted (long since gone to the crusher I'm sure), and got this for myself. I hated it for not being a BMW and eventually gave it to Mom, who gave it back when she died.

The car has nearly a quarter million miles now. Still has the piston slap, but also low oil pressure, low compression, low power and a problem with overheating too. Yet it still passes smog, if you believe it.

There are a few bangs in the body, but otherwise it's in great shape. And best of all, I can get parts for it.

This one hasn't had half the love that the Red Car has received, has more miles and hasn't caused 1/8th the trouble. It's still on its original engine and trans. Amazing. So it's earned my begrudging respect.

I plan to pull the engine in the next month to have it rebuilt. The plan is to keep it a reliable daily driver, and maybe some other stuff if the mood strikes. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 05-31-2021 at 08:11 PM.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Re: The Car I Don't Like - 93 Accord SE

I pulled the engine.

Which is tricky cause I'm on dirt. This sheet of plywood worked well enough.

And then some hillbilly engineering got it into the truck.

I cleaned the engine bay.

Rebuilt the leaky rack.

I also replaced the ball joints, motor mounts and a bunch of hoses that are normally buried under the engine.

Now I'm waiting on the machine shop.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW