Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leaking 1 quart of oil a day was too much! (and a little unsafe)

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Leaking 1 quart of oil a day was too much! (and a little unsafe)

I know how you feel man. In 2009 or so i started the carb to EFI swap and auto to manual conversion and thought it would take a month. Well life got busy, we had a fixer upper house that needed everything, i was starting a family and a business so the accord sat for about 8 years completely taken apart. I only got to work on it a few days out of each year but eventually got it back together and working. Its been my daily for a couple years now The accord will still be your friend and be patient, the only thing that wont be patient is the gas with ethanol nowdays, if its going to sit for more than 4 months id put stabilizer in it or something.

Good luck on everything.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

Finally got to show her some love today.
    Power failure at work resulting in me getting the day off and I got to visit the only dedicated import salvage yard in my area (it's only 50 miles away) for the first time today.
    They actually have an 89 LXi coupe! And it's nearly complete!

Here's a pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1989_LXi.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	11119

Snagged the intake pipe (from fender to filter box) that was missing from mine.
    Will be back for the passenger rear window, trim and hardware.
    On the way home I picked up the last of the little coolant lines I needed from Autozone ($60 for 4 little hoses! ).
    Got home and replaced the old rotten ones. Now it's got all new coolant lines and all new seals.
    I started putting the alternator back on - mainly to be sure I had all the hardware. I don't.
    Found I'm missing the top (adjusting) bolt for the alternator.
    Thanks to my trip to the salvage yard this morning I know where to get a replacement.
    I just might grab that spoiler too.
    In fact I might see if I can talk them out of the whole car.
    Just glad to be making progress again and have a parts source.
    are we having fun yet?
    Jamnar in Virginia

1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3, 320k
    waiting for resurrection:
    1989 Honda Accord LXi 2.0, automatic 199k
    2000 Saturn SW2 1.9 DOHC, TAAT MP7, 278k
    1991 Geo Metro
    1985 Ford F250

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

I did get back there and got the passenger rear window and all the rubber trim and channels from all the windows.
    I also got the entire trunk lid with spoiler.
    Grabbed every bolt and nut I could from around the alternator, ps pump, ac compressor.
    We had to be careful because of the yellow jacket nest under the back seat.
    Now just trying to find time to get back to work on mine.
    I've been working long hours that are causing me to leave before sunup and get home after sun down. Without a garage it's hard to get much done in the dark.
    Getting kind of desperate to see this car back on the road though. I've got a week long vacation coming up and hope to make some decent progress then.
    are we having fun yet?
    Jamnar in Virginia

1991 Geo Metro
    1985 Ford F250

Vehicle
    '89 Honda Accord LX

Good luck dude, should come together well I’m sure. Give this car care and it will give it back.

Vehicle
    1989 Honda Accord LXi

A bit of an update.
    That week long vacation was spent dealing with West coast family dropping in. Loved it but not much accomplished otherwise.
    Since then, my workplace has continued to be chaotic with time off being spent running my wife to doctors appointments and trying to keep up with things breaking down around the house.
    We've only had one vehicle on the road (the Grand Voyager) since I had to retire the Saturn last year. It has continued to give us trouble and I've had to spend time investigating things like random stalling, crazy wipers, flaky power steering, scary noises, etc.
    Last month our water heater died 2 weeks after the 9 year warranty ran out so I got to spend time and money working on that.
    I could keep going but I think I made my point. There seems to always be something that needs urgent attention pulling me away from working on the Honda.
    Finally, the last two weekends I put everything else on hold so I could take advantage of some wonderful weather to get something done on the Honda.
    I finished buttoning up the back of the engine (had to find those two missing bolts) so I could reattach the flexplate.
    I had the transmission covered up and shoved under the front of the car and when I pulled it out, much to my dismay I discovered that there was no cover over the hole where the speed sensor goes. I hope there's no 'dauber nests inside.
    I'm going to continue and assume it's fine since it's more important to me now that this thing goes back together and runs than it is that it's perfect. I did cover that hole though.
    I had to replace the shifter cable I broke when I pulled the engine and it's installed now but I can't find where I put the cast aluminum bracket that holds it in place. I'll have to take time to pull everything out of the car at some point so I can find my missing parts and tools before I get much further. I've got the trunk full and parts and tools piled from the floor to ceiling in the rear seat and level with the dash in the front. Since it's supposed to rain again next weekend it'll probably be another week or two before I can do that.
    So now the engine is off the stand and it's bolted together with the transmission.
    I spent several hours trying to get the hood open so I could free up the tarp I had used to cover the transmission. The tarp was jammed in the hood latch mechanism (wasn't intentional) so I ended up cutting the tarp so I could get access to force it open. Got the hood open, freed up the tarp and repositioned the motor and transmission with the tarp over them on the pallet in front of the car until I can get back to them.
    Meanwhile I took the left front strut to my shed to start working on replacing the strut cartridge (and try out my new spring compressor).
    The spring compressor worked great and I got the old cartridge pulled out from the fork at the bottom.
    I grabbed the new replacement cartridge and immediately discovered it's not the right one. The diameter at the base where it goes into the fork is too small and not by a little bit.
    Now I bought these Monroe strut cartridges from Rock Auto new but had already noticed that someone had them out of the box before. Since everything looked good and nothing was missing I didn't think much of it. Unfortunately it seems at some point the wrong struts ended up in the box.
    I had already noticed that they were shorter than my old ones but I thought maybe my old ones were wrong since the car sat so high in the front, like jacked up high. I suppose I should have taken measurements to be sure at the time, now I'm stuck with them.
    I'll have to order another set of struts (not the same source) before I can go further with this. Due to finances that'll have to wait.
    Meanwhile I'll see if I can get a few of the suspension component repairs done since I can do that under cover of my shed. Hopefully the rest of the parts are correct.
    are we having fun yet?
    Jamnar in Virginia

1991 Geo Metro
    1985 Ford F250