Thread: oddball temp gauge/fan problem

Vehicle
    1986 Honda Accord DX, A20A1 4SPD H4F4 AT

oddball temp gauge/fan problem

I mentioned this last year, and it still rarely persists.
    My temp gauge goes up 3/4 of the way and makes the rad fans kick on while idling in drive, which then knocks it back down to the middle, then it rises again, rinse and repeat if I'm stupid/unfortunate enough to have to sit there and idle in drive. Still happens despite flushing old coolant, putting new blue Honda coolant in + new rad and lower/upper hoses, along with new thermostat. Only seems to happen after I drive the car for a bit, shut it down, then start it back up, drive it more, then idle in drive for 5-10 mins. Worried my HG is on the way out or something. My steering wheel also vibrates like hell once the motor is warmed up despite replacing the front motor mount which makes me think it's actually a rough idle (car also never drops down to 800 rpm, it always (tries) to idle at 1k with the needle wavering around the 1)
    That and the rear mount needs to be done too odds are, which I do have laying around. It's a total PITA to do on DX/LX trim carby 3rd gens from what I've heard.
    This site keeps logging me out for no reason even with Ublock turned off wtf, this has been going on since last year
    Last edited by RI86DX; 06-23-2023 at 04:50 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: oddball temp gauge/fan problem

Are you pretty confident you have bleed the coolant at the thermostat housing bleeder and all tha jazz?

I dont think the coolant in 1986 was the Honda blue at the time just a regular glycol mix. Shouldnt really hurt anything either way.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle

Shit, I don't think so.
    Also good point on the year/coolant type.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Yeah the bleeder is really important on Honda cars.

I bleed it like I bleed brakes on a car. I rev the motor to about 2k rpms hold the butterfly with my thumb, open the bleeder let air coolant out then close it and then let the RPMS come down. I also have bleed air out of the IACV on fuel injection models since its the highest point.

EDIT: also there was a recall on the torque converter hanging a little at idle and causing a vibration. Dont think there is a fix for it.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Thanks a ton for the info - I'll check it out or have my mid 60s mechanic check it out. Hopefully someone who has been working on cars since LBJ or Nixon was president knows about that.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by RI86DX View Post
    Thanks a ton for the info - I'll check it out or have my mid 60s mechanic check it out. Hopefully someone who has been working on cars since LBJ or Nixon was president knows about that.
    Well to be fair most old school mechanics wont know about it unless they worked on Hondas alot. its wasnt really common to bleed air out like that until the newest generation of V8's like the Hemi and LS/LT motors. if you dont do it on a Hemi right the motor will over heat about a minute after the thermostat opens. I found out on mine the hard way.

Its pretty easy to do maybe Ill do a video of it.
    Now running E85.