Thread: Need help with inertia fuel shut off switch

DX User

Need help with inertia fuel shut off switch

Morning all !!!!!
    My car has stopped 3 times because of that switch. I want to replace it or just remove it
    But I don't know where it is, as you know there is a lot stuff under the dash.
    I can't find anything close on this site or You Tube or any other site.

Any help will be most appreciated

1989 Accord DX

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Need help with inertia fuel shut off switch

Do you have the manual. Look for any Dr. Snooz posts, its in his profile link to download.

Its up under the dash on the left/driver size side wall. You can reach it from under the dash, it is a little tricky and has one bolt holding the box on. There are a couple boxes up in that area that look similar but the manual will tell you which one. Also to fix them, the relay solder points just need resoldered. Now with all that said, are you sure its the relay and not the pump itself, what test have you done so far.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I think he's working on a carbed car. I'm not sure what a fuel inertia shut off is. How do you know what it's called, but not know where it is?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    I think he's working on a carbed car. I'm not sure what a fuel inertia shut off is. How do you know what it's called, but not know where it is?

Inertia safety switches were popular with the very early fuel injection cars. Certain forces would trip the switch to shut the fuel pump off. I think I really only remember them on Fords.

I dont think Honda every used them so I guess were all assuming that the posters means the fuel pump relay.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yeah I was confused, didn't think my car had an inertia switch. Check the fuel pump relay under the hood, or your dizzy because the relay is powered by the tach wire. If your tach is not smooth or bounces you need a new ignitor. I would suggest replacing your whole dizzy for a Hitachi one if you don't have one and you don't live in California, they are cheap on ebay. You can tell the difference by looking at it, on the front side of the TEC, the one you don't want, has a big silver ignitor between the cap and the engine.

DX User

Gentlemen, I finally found and removed it. This is what it looks like , I don't understand what part is supposed to be the inertial/ moving , part. I looked at every solder joint and can't find a crack, but then any one of the componets could have failed. Any advice will be welcome.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...SABEgJrMPD_BwE
    Last edited by ACCORDDXZ; 10-01-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Quote Originally Posted by Oldblueaccord View Post
    Inertia safety switches were popular with the very early fuel injection cars. Certain forces would trip the switch to shut the fuel pump off. I think I really only remember them on Fords.

I dont think Honda every used them so I guess were all assuming that the posters means the fuel pump relay.
    oh man that thing was annoying... had an 85 LTD back in the day and that thing would trip randomly. Guy I got it from thought the pump had gone out. I tapped the switch with a hammer and it fired right up lol
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by ACCORDDXZ View Post
    Gentlemen, I finally found and removed it. This is what it looks like , I don't understand what part is supposed to be the inertial/ moving , part. I looked at every solder joint and can't find a crack, but then any one of the componets could have failed. Any advice will be welcome.

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...SABEgJrMPD_BwE

Thats a standard style relay that controls the fuel pump. its possible the contacts are just worn out from age.

I would also look at the wire diagram possible worn contacts on the ignition switch side.

The Fuel injection relays are two relays in one. Honda looks at the ignition side so no spark means the other relay cuts off the fuel pump.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You removed your fuel pump relay, it has no inertial switches or anything like that. What did you do, jump it? I highly suggest you put a new relay back in its place. Its called a fuel cutoff relay so the fuel pump isn't running while the engine is off, you know, so you don't get in an accident and have a situation with gas overflowing on a hot engine.