Thread: Transmission leaking after cv axle replaced

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

Transmission leaking after cv axle replaced

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 87 Accord LXI hatch with a manual. It needed new CV axles so I replaced the driver side one yesterday. Everything seemed fine but when I went on a test drive and pulled back into my driveway it was gushing transmission fluid from where the cv axle goes into the trans. I thought I didn't put the cv axle in enough so I hit it with a hammer a few times and test drove it again and same thing. It goes in fine and doesn't leak but seems to come out slightly after driving and then starts to leak. Anyone have any ideas?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Transmission leaking after cv axle replaced

Really could be only two things. (1) The seal on the transmission was damaged or moved when you put it back on. Taking the CV shaft out and take a look at it. (2) But what i think the issue really is, its just not pushed in all the way. I know you hit it with a hammer but there is a c ring on the shaft that needs to snap in. It can be difficult to get it in, usually when its difficult its because the shaft isnt held straight in the transmission, its just a little crooked. Hold the shaft straight into the tranny, and give it another wack. The shaft coming out of the transmission should not be able to be wiggled, if you can its not in all the way.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

Quote Originally Posted by conozo View Post
    Really could be only two things. (1) The seal on the transmission was damaged or moved when you put it back on. Taking the CV shaft out and take a look at it. (2) But what i think the issue really is, its just not pushed in all the way. I know you hit it with a hammer but there is a c ring on the shaft that needs to snap in. It can be difficult to get it in, usually when its difficult its because the shaft isnt held straight in the transmission, its just a little crooked. Hold the shaft straight into the tranny, and give it another wack. The shaft coming out of the transmission should not be able to be wiggled, if you can its not in all the way.
    I think I made it work. I noticed the retaining ring on the spindle that goes into the transmission was flush. I put the one from my old CV axle on and so far so good. No leaks. I am replacing my other side soon but I think this time I'll wait until the weekend. Thanks for your help!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I have stretched those rings back out in the past with no ill effects.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW