Thread: Is it needed to replace this on my transmission?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Is it needed to replace this on my transmission?

I had just found that this boot type of thing was broken. This is where the shifter rod meets the transmission. I was wondering if it somewhat needed to replace this before putting my transfer back up? Also, what the heck is molybdenum disulfide? It tells me to use it for some thing on the clutch like the throw out bearing and the splines of the clutch. Is this any kind of grease, or is this some special kind of grease like spline lubricant or something?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Is it needed to replace this on my transmission?

Yup. Lowest point on the trans and it pours out oil. Full disassembly required. I would not blame you if you were to write the trans off now, its not exactly hard to do, but you certainly need to have good mechanical knowledge and common sense.

Idk if you are just asking about the boot, that part isn't important, the seal on that shaft is, and it looks like yours is leaking. I guess you can gauge that by how big of a puddle it leaves in your driveway every night.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

My transmission was insanely greasy and dirty before cleaning it. I also had an oil pan leak and rear main seal leak. I agree that it is the bottom point of the transmission, so I am just hoping because of those leaks and the because of how old and dirty the car is; that the actual seal isn’t leaking. And that it is just dirty. I am hoping that this idea won’t hurt me later when it starts leaking lol.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The dirt on the shaft leads me to believe that it is leaking, but you can leave it, I would just check the car for leaks and check the trans fluid often.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Mine leaks a bit too. Had the thought of just taking a cutoff wheel to it, replace seal, weld it back together. Be easier than pulling trans apart lol

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

God... you barbarian

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

lmao, I also started thinking what I would do if it started leaking. Cause I do not want to take it down and pull it apart for something as small as that. I thought about maybe cutting the seal across on point. That way i could get behind the mount for the shift rod and wrap it around the rod. Then I might just use some high oil resistant rtv gasket maker and just seal the seal back together. Then push it in. Or maybe just a little bit of super glue or something. Idk lol

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

ShiRen what engine oil and transmission fluid do you use for your accord? I’ve been looking, and I’m not sure if the stuff I am looking at will work or not.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You can't seal this with rtv, the shaft moves, it is a seal similar to your rear main seal, it is sealed with a round spring squeezing the center and it has probably gotten loose over time.

You can basically put whatever you want in it. I'm pretty sure the manual calls for 10w40 engine oil. Its all metallic parts inside so it doesn't need fancy additives or anything. I think I have used Delo, rotella, honda green, valvoline synchromesh. It all feels the same. I doubt any of these trans will last much longer, so just keep fluid in it, use something cheap and middle of the road. Don't be afraid to use engine oil in the gear box, that's what it shipped with and even though its not a 1:1 comparison, most motorcycles share the engine and gearbox oil, so many engine oils already meet a spec for gearbox use. Usually these are not synthetic blends, so stay away from those, but you can get away with 15w40 rotella t6 or t4, mobil 1, etc, look for JASO on the back. That will be the cheapest thing you can get, otherwise, buy a case of honda green or valvoline.

Just a disclaimer: don't go putting engine oil in anything else though unless it says in the manual. Some trans have lsds or composite parts that are not made to work with engine oil. Ours do not.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 11-10-2021 at 06:03 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Thanks for all your help bro, you’re amazing.

One last thing though, are you saying to stay away from putting synthetic blends in the engine or the gearbox, or both?

All your help has helped me hopefully get the car running. I’m hoping that it will run today, thanks again.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Just the gearbox, I don't know of any blend that is made to any standard for a gearbox. Put whatever you want in the engine, I just throw rotella t6 5w40 in there

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Does anybody know if this cv axle is in all the way? I have been trying for like an hour and can’t get it to go in anymore. I’m pretty sure the c-clip is engaged and in its spot because now it is hard to get it out.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by asianwills View Post
    Does anybody know if this cv axle is in all the way? I have been trying for like an hour and can’t get it to go in anymore. I’m pretty sure the c-clip is engaged and in its spot because now it is hard to get it out.
    It's good.

I use 5w30 in my transmission during winter and 10w30 in the summer. Non-synthetic.
    Do NOT use synthetic oil in the engine. I tried that and it smoked like hell, swapped back to real oil and it hasn't smoked since.
    I do 10w30 in winter and 10w40 in summer for the engine.
    You dont have to change it out for the seasons, I'm just a nerd like that.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    God... you barbarian
    An even better idea... drill a large hole into side of mounting point in line with shaft... smaller drill into shaft itself, countersink it a bit to compensate for a bolt head... thread it for whatever bolt you use... take cutoff wheel to it, replace seal, bolt it back together. Now you can just unbolt it if seal leaks again.
    Originally posted by ShiRen:
    Nice car or not, nobody likes losing a race to an old 4 door Honda.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

You can put synthetic oil in it, but be aware of any issues that stem from it. Its a lot better than conventional when it stays in your oil pan, but it has a very uniform patricle size and might slip through cracks... and you definitely do not want to burn it, its not as flammable and will leave behind tons of carbon, thats why you can never ever put synthetic in a rotary that is still using the stock oil injection.

Yeah unbolt it like the b series... and have a new problem where your shifter feels flaccid lmao

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Is it needed to replace this on my transmission?

So, I decided to pull off the dust cover for the shifter shaft to see if the seal was leaking. Just to make sure. And it definitely is. Now I am stuck not knowing what to do lol. I had already put the transmission and the mounts back up forgetting about this problem. Then when I was about to put the shift linkage back on, I remembered the problem. So I don’t want to take down the transmission again, I don’t think I would be able to open the transmission and fix it anyway. Is there anything I can do lol, or am I screwed. I have heard people use AT-205 or BlueDevil, would something like this work.
    Last edited by asianwills; 11-12-2021 at 07:45 PM.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Don't put any kind of stop leak in it, these trans don't need any excuse to blow up.
    Like I said before, the best thing you can do is just monitor it. If you don't want to do the work have trans shop replace it.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by asianwills View Post
    So, I decided to pull off the dust cover for the shifter shaft to see if the seal was leaking. Just to make sure. And it definitely is. Now I am stuck not knowing what to do lol. I had already put the transmission and the mounts back up forgetting about this problem. Then when I was about to put the shift linkage back on, I remembered the problem. So I don’t want to take down the transmission again, I don’t think I would be able to open the transmission and fix it anyway. Is there anything I can do lol, or am I screwed. I have heard people use AT-205 or BlueDevil, would something like this work.

Double check you can do it with out taking the trans all apart.

There two guys on here with youtube vids of the trans stuff look thru there.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Oldblue... The A series trans does not have the bitch pin to allow changing the seal without disassembly... B series trans is not the same

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Oldblue... The A series trans does not have the bitch pin to allow changing the seal without disassembly... B series trans is not the same
    I was hopeful!
    Now running E85.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Hope = DASHED!
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Don't put any kind of stop leak in it, these trans don't need any excuse to blow up.
    Like I said before, the best thing you can do is just monitor it. If you don't want to do the work have trans shop replace it.

29 minute mark he changes out the seal.
    Now running E85.

Vehicle

Pain