Thread: Can a A20A1 chassis accept an A20A3/4?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

Can a A20A1 chassis accept an A20A3/4?

After being glued to these forums after buying a 88 DX I think its time to make a post and be crucified about not using search

But seriously, I don't know if I'm using the right terms or not!
    (noob lmao)

I would assume with the new engine the pcm has to be swapped with a fuel injected one, some wires would need to be ran, and some functionality might be lost.

Is this a logistical nightmare?? Should I just rebuild my carb'd Engine?

Any pointers or advice is appreciated

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Re: Can a A20A1 chassis accept an A20A3/4?

You can use your carb engine head and all as long as on the head the intakes have the cutout for the fuel injectors. With your having an 88DX it should have the cutouts.

The distributor on a carb only has two mounting bolts and the EFI has three, you can still bolt on the EFI distributor using only the two bolts, it will work just fine. Everything else is exterior to the engine and just bolt on.

There is an EFI conversion here but there are quite a few things that you need, such as the EFI fuel tank, the 3rd fuel line from the tank to the engine bay, engine wiring which the dash will need to come out. Its not hard but there is a lot to do.

I cannot find the guide for the carb to fi conversion, but i have done it and the only way i recommend it is to get an entire parts car that has every single FI part you will need plus more. There are other advantages the FI cars such as bigger brakes, power locks, windows, etc if you want those.
    Last edited by conozo; 11-23-2021 at 10:41 AM.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX

Ill start looking for a little dono FI, However would it be totally unheard of running the carb'd intake on a FI engine? I know the Cams and compression ratios are slightly different, but would that allow me to run the same wiring with a drop in solution?

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

The carb and FI intakes are completely different. If you have a donor FI car you will have everything you need to swap over for a proper FI conversion anyways.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Yes you can carb the fi engine, honestly imo this is the easy route. If you were to strip the vacuum stuff off the stock carb or buy a weber, it will be a lot simpler to get going. An a20 with fi internals (not that they are much different) with a weber would be pretty spicy.
    Idk about you, but I don't like dealing with old fuel injection that is practically untunable in its unmodified state. The stock carbs are not the greatest, but when you take that out of the loop the only part on the whole engine that is likely to give you headaches is the TEC dizzy, if you even have one.
    But swapping to fi would be as simple as moving parts, you can use either engine for either fi or carb.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthre...sion+Explained

I think carotman wrote it. If you guys find the link ill fix it.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

The distributor on a carb only has two mounting bolts and the EFI has three, you can still bolt on the EFI distributor using only the two bolts, it will work just fine. Everything else is exterior to the engine and just bolt on.

If I'm not mistaken, the part that has either the two ears (for FI dist) or one (for carb dist) is removable and you can just swap that piece. Valve cover has to come off to get it out but the bolts are outside of the cover right next to it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX Sedan / 2000 Accord EX v6

Quote Originally Posted by TisJayrodd View Post
    Ill start looking for a little dono FI, However would it be totally unheard of running the carb'd intake on a FI engine? I know the Cams and compression ratios are slightly different, but would that allow me to run the same wiring with a drop in solution?
    88 and 89 I know for sure use the same head casting (PJ0), 2nd gen prelude SI uses it as well.
    The carb cam is the only slight difference in the head.
    Well, and that distributor mount.