Thread: Carbureted Engine Problems

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Carbureted Engine Problems

I am having a few problems and I am not sure why or how to fix them. I thought you guys might know. The first problem is the engine will stall every time I don’t let the engine warm up to operating temperature before I start driving. Since it is a carbureted engine is this a normal thing that I have to deal with or can I fix this? The other thing is that it idles a little bit too high, around 1500. I couldn’t find if there was some kind of thing to adjust to fix this. Again maybe you guys know, Thanks!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Carbureted Engine Problems

Check that the choke is operating, it should close on a cold start and open up as it warms, it will probably increase the idle while its on. Wait for it to open and then check the idle, there is a black knob on the left side of the carb that you turn to set the idle speed. maybe keep the choke open and cold start it, give it just a minute to warm up and then see if it has any issues stalling, my car had the choke wired open since I got it, so it never worked and I never needed it, don't know if there was something wrong with it.

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Check for vacuum leaks.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

Did anything happen when this started? When was the last time it didn't have the stalling problem?

Do you mean it stalls while driving in general, or do you mean only if you leave it to idle while cold and you could get around it by holding down the gas pedal a little bit during idle? If it's the second, then I second that it's temperature idle control is wacked, I think.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Quote Originally Posted by Jinnai View Post
    Did anything happen when this started? When was the last time it didn't have the stalling problem?

Do you mean it stalls while driving in general, or do you mean only if you leave it to idle while cold and you could get around it by holding down the gas pedal a little bit during idle? If it's the second, then I second that it's temperature idle control is wacked, I think.
    It doesn’t stall while idling, I’m assuming because of the auto choke. But if i’m not patient and start driving it before it is warm enough, then it will stall in general driving. It did not do this the first time starting after a year or two, but that first start was also 2 months ago. I live in Utah, it starts getting colder from now till late January maybe. So it was also a little bit warmer on the first start.

But ya, it’s been doing it ever since. Though the auto choke does work on the initial start when the engine warms up, I don’t if it is also supposed to be working while driving; and don’t know if that is what is causing problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Check for vacuum leaks.
    Spray short squirts carb cleaner around the base of the carb while the engine is running and under the air filter box, if the idle changes you have a vacuum leak probably on one of the hoses.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

This could be completely unrelated, or maybe not.
    All the sudden, one morning my car decided to stop starting, and it has been doing it every since. Every few tries I can get it where it kinda wants to go but it doesn’t completely start. The engine is cranking just fine but it won’t start, meaning the battery is good. I also checked the distributor and cables and they were working good too. The next big thing I would think is the fuel pump or fuel filter. Could this maybe be caused or related to the problems with my carburetor that I have been seeing before?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Is there gas in the float bowl?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

I won’t be able to check till tomorrow, but i’m assuming it’s just some kinda valve to check right?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

There is a sight glass on the driver side of the carb. You can also take the fuel hose off the carb, some gas should be sitting in the line. You should be concerned if there isnt gas there, next place to check would be the small filter that should be about a foot away from the carb.
    Last edited by ShiRen; 01-13-2022 at 07:01 AM.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX

Hey! I have the same problem with mine. Does your idle drop to normal when it's put into gear and then the idle rises when it's put back into park? I assume it's either a carb adjustment needed or something to do with the butterfly valves

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Did you read the other replies?

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    Is there gas in the float bowl?
    Yes, I finally was able to find time to check. The level is just below the tip of metal in front of the glass.

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

Carbureted Engine Problems

Although there is fuel in the bowl and lines, there is not enough pressure. When doing a pressure test the psi didn’t budge at all. Meaning that the filters aren’t bad because there would be at least some pressure.

I then worked towards the fuel pump, I checked the voltage of the fuel pump connector and only got 9.50-9.60. I was told that the pump could still run, (it does) but maybe doesn’t have enough power to keep good pressure.

This could be the problem, but I also could be measuring the voltage wrong. I am just connecting the positive and negative leads of the multimeters to the connector. (connected terminal 1 and terminal 2 in fuel pump relay to receive constant power to fuel pump)

I really hope this isn’t the problem lol.

Edit: My massive service manual says that if the pressure tests fails then you should just go straight to replacing the fuel pump. It doesn’t mention the connector or power to the fuel pump anywhere either. Is there something I don’t know?
    Last edited by asianwills; 01-15-2022 at 06:33 PM.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Quote Originally Posted by asianwills View Post
    Although there is fuel in the bowl and lines, there is not enough pressure. When doing a pressure test the psi didn’t budge at all. Meaning that the filters aren’t bad because there would be at least some pressure.

I then worked towards the fuel pump, I checked the voltage of the fuel pump connector and only got 9.50-9.60. I was told that the pump could still run, (it does) but maybe doesn’t have enough power to keep good pressure.

This could be the problem, but I also could be measuring the voltage wrong. I am just connecting the positive and negative leads of the multimeters to the connector. (connected terminal 1 and terminal 2 in fuel pump relay to receive constant power to fuel pump)

I really hope this isn’t the problem lol.

Edit: My massive service manual says that if the pressure tests fails then you should just go straight to replacing the fuel pump. It doesn’t mention the connector or power to the fuel pump anywhere either. Is there something I don’t know?
    There is a relay that turns the pump on and off I think it right on the fuse box under the dash. I would look at that since you have voltage but it is low its usually a bad connection some place.

Double check your self and check the battery voltage as well fully charge it should be above 12.5 volts DC.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

DX User
    Vehicle
    1987 honda accord lx

It is ok to start my engine a few times when the carburetor air box is completely pulled off? I just need to test a few things and to see if it will even start. With the carburetor box fully of there is some hoses and vacuum lines disconnected.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

The ones on the air box go to open air basically, I dont think they are super important. you can start it with a vacuum leak anyway, if one of the lines is sucking then you can plug it.