Thread: (automatic) reverse grind + loss of power + more

DX User
    Vehicle
    Honda Accord 1986 LX-i Hatchback

(automatic) reverse grind + loss of power + more

Hey guys, been on here awhile now and havent been able to find anything on this. I have a 1986 accord lxi automatic, and when i put it in reverse, it tends to grind, even when shifting from a forward gear quickly into reverse to get it to work. Did some looking, found a 146k automatic tranny, picked that up. They test drove it before pulling it and called it good. My main question is, will I need a new auto clutch as well? also- If I take second all the way up to where it’s supposed to shift to fourth (rpms) then shift to fourth, it will (with extreme lag) hit 4th and stay until I slow down then get stuck in a low gear. I suppose bad syncros? Just hope my problem is fixed with the new tranny, if not taking it off again wont be too much of a hassle to replace clutch, thought id politely ask for input. Thanks for the time.

Vehicle
    88 LXi

Re: (automatic) reverse grind + loss of power + more

Ok hold on here a seocnd.

An Automatic transmission does not have syncros manual transmissions do.

An Automatic doesnt have an "auto clutch" in this application it has whats called a torque converter. A manual trans has a clutch.

if you do swap to the other used trans make sure you clean out all the lines and radiator cooler of junk and debris.

Hope that helps.
    1988 Lxi owner since August 1995
    336k miles running strong!
    Now running E85.

Oldblueaccord <<< MY YOUTUBE PAGE!

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

With an automatic a crunchy sound only when shifting into reverse is normal on all hondas of this era. The shift should be quick and no delay.

There is a TV cable to the tranny that could use adjustment, its adjustment effects when the transmission shifts. Look into the factory service manual for that, download it from Snooz's signature if you dont have it.

Did you put the tranny on yourself?

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle

Thank you guys. So, I ended up getting the 146k auto tranny, and taking the old one out. Mounted her on my car (feel pretty dumb about “auto clutch” etc I learned a crap ton of stuff going hands on lol) And she runs. Although, the whole car is being held up just in the front end, rear wheels on the ground. After securing all mounts and bolts, vss, auto shift linkage, starter, putting back together the drive axles (shafts?) to both wheels and doing front suspension back up, i started it while front end was still up and i found a couple things.
    (yes filled all fluids but doing a flush next time I work on it - just recieved 4 qrts of honda tranny fluid)
    1- Makes a very slight whistle sound, like maybe metal against metal or just not lubricated metal…

2- front driver side axle was spinning, passenger side barely moving.

I could shift from P to R to N while the meter on the dash is correct with what gear its in but I dont think I was actually in the correct gears. I could not physically move the shifter down past D4, so no d3 and no d2. I looked down underneath at shift linkage and it did look a tad more lose than tight, maybe have to take it all apart again and re adjust

DX User
    Vehicle

Also Conozo, I will definitely take a look at TV cable and manual thank you very much.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Dont flush honda trans

only one axle will spin due to open differential

DX User
    Vehicle

Okay guys, problem solved! After having a big brain moment, I realized I didnt have to take the tranny off to access the end of the shift linkage. I checked under the center console to make sure the shift linkage was centered there, then put it in park. I then went under the car, took of the tiny shield plate that goes into the transmission and gave the cord a bit of a shove inward and when I heard it click into place I put the shield back on and tested it out. New transmission works amazing. It makes sense now, i pretty much just manually shifted both ends into park and then put the shield back on to secure it.