Thread: Looking for manual swap

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LX-i

Looking for manual swap

I'm in northwest Florida looking for a manual swap. I'm mainly interested in the tranny, tranny mount, shift linkage, and pedal box. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance or pay for shipping. Happy New Year!

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Looking for manual swap

I would highly suggest adapting to a b series trans, easier to find not already dead. If you go that route then you pretty much just need any Honda shift linkage, in which you will need to modify, and you can just add a wilwood pedal with a single hydraulic master cyl. You will need to make the trans mount.
    If you're dead set on the a series trans then well good luck, but there is no trans mount at least.

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by ShiRen View Post
    I would highly suggest adapting to a b series trans, easier to find not already dead. If you go that route then you pretty much just need any Honda shift linkage, in which you will need to modify, and you can just add a wilwood pedal with a single hydraulic master cyl. You will need to make the trans mount.
    If you're dead set on the a series trans then well good luck, but there is no trans mount at least.
    Funny you should bring up a2b I had a bit of time to swap things around today. I'm working on it so close to being a 100% realistic option.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

🙏

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

Is that a trans we can get stateside?
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Snooz View Post
    Is that a trans we can get stateside?
    Yeah, and first gen 96-00 crv with a 5speed awd. You can also buy full built transmission Bell housings and cases, complete drop in gear sets, sequential gearboxes, Billet transfer case, drop in lsd, speed factory shift Fork upgrade allows for you to run FWD honda geat sets into the awd transmission, 1st-3rd gear shifter lock outs, billet shifers and much more. There are many ways to skin that cat; it's just a matter of what you're looking to do and spend, but the possibilities are endless. I've collected 3 trans and 3 shifter and 2 transfer cases, a couple starters, etc. The most expensive one cost me $500 shipped. I've pulled one on my own for $250 complete with starter, Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch shifter, shifter cables, transfer case, etc. So the price varies but are pretty reasonable when you consider a gsr or type r trans are selling for well over 2k these days and we all know no body wants that shity ls gearing when for a couple hundred more you can have a shity crv trans and the possible to go awd. Awd honda's are the future

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

With the condition that all the A-trans seem to be in, I definitely wouldn't be swapping one into a 3g at this point. They are nothing but headache.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I just discovered that the replacement clutch kit I got doesn't seat properly in the replacement flywheel I got. Actually, it's 3 different clutch kits where the pressure plate jams into the flywheel because the notches in the flywheel aren't where they should be. I have to grind out more clearance from the flywheel, which means I have to take it into a shop so they can keep it balanced. It's only taken 3 RnRs of the trans to figure that out. This after the syncro spring on 5th gear broke and cooked 5th gear, requiring me to go on an odyssey to find a replacement. I drove not once, but twice, the 7 hrs round trip to the Bay Area to pull another trans out of a junkyard. Not to mention that the last clutch was shite and made the car shift like butt from almost the first week after my swap. This MT has been such a royal pain that I half wish I could go back to AT.

Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    89/accord/lxi

Man, if you're coming to the bay, just let me know. I'm in Oakland, lol. Everything you're experiencing is part of why I pushed to get this a2b plate rolling it's just doesn't make sense to keep spend time and money on the a series transmissions when they also let us down. No matter what we do, there always seems to be a problem. I would say if you got new(nos) or low mileage one, you'd be in good shape, but let's face those days long gone. After my first trans shit the bed, I put in a hybrid transmission, and it was cool but more hype than it was really worth. But after reader and spending more money then I should have on transmissions or parts it I price out this a2b stuff could have save time by just doing a2b in first place because it was about the swap cost after 2 transmissions. Once you hit the 3rd one you could have put a lsd in a b series transmissions and after popped a series transmissions after is the equivalent to just buying aftermarket parts for a B series transmission ultimately you would have a better transmission that would last a lot longer a form way better thenyou would just tossing money at the a series. Then, if you have any type of power adder to your motor, it's just a matter of time before the tans go's out.

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

If your close enough to user computor in Georgia he has a car for you.

https://www.3geez.com/forum/showthre...36#post1224336

Its so much easier if you just get a whole car to do the swap but as others have said and as i have done the swap my self. The swap is pretty easy but these trannys are fragile and lets not forget they are 35 years old with no available replacement parts.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

I dropped the flywheel off at the machine shop today for some fine tuning. We'll see how it turns out.
    Last edited by Dr_Snooz; 02-13-2022 at 09:27 AM.
    Dr_Snooz

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...69249245012080 supposedly a whole manual car for parts