Thread: Seat cover?

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

Seat cover?

I wish more than anything my seats were perfect but they are in terrible condition. In fact when I bought my car it didn't even have a passenger seat and I had to source one from the junkyard. I bought some cheap seat covers from Walmart but they don't fit very well. What seat covers are you guys using?

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Re: Seat cover?

You can probably do better than Walmart, but it usually doesn't get a whole lot better for seat covers
    I suggest finding a nice set that is a similar shape to the seat and then put your sewing skills to the test to give them a good fit

Vehicle
    1988 Honda Accord DX, 250,000 Miles, Daily Driver

I think some seat fabric and beginner sewing skills would look better than covers.

1988 Honda Accord LSDX-I

DX User
    Vehicle
    87 Lxi Hatch manual

I don't know what beginner sewing skills is to you but reupholstering seats isn't something I can do. I figured someone out there had to have found some good fitting seat covers in the past 34 years so that's why I made this post.

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

I'm not sure why you cant...
    You see, any seat covers that would have come around in the past 34 years most likely won't exist anymore

Vehicle
    1989 Accord LX-i

The interiors of these cars have held up (are still holding up) really well, so most of us have never needed covers. The notable exception to that rule are the leather interiors, which all look as if they housed a pride of rabid lions. Because the interiors have held up so well, there are no cheap (nice) aftermarket covers available, unless things have changed since I looked a few years ago.

If you run across a 3g in the junkyard, however, chances are good that the seats will be in decent shape, though admittedly, there is a 99% likelihood that they'll be that unfortunate maroon color that was so common and hasn't aged well at all. Anyway, there are a few options. First, spend some time watching how-to vids on YouTube and learn how seat covers are made, installed, etc. so you know how to remove good covers without destroying them. Then, if you run across some decent seats in the junkyard you can grab them. You can dye them a different color if need be (hence the YouTube vids). You can also grab only the seat covers if you don't want the entire seat. If you get the sewing bug, you can also use the junkyard covers as patterns for new seat covers. You'll need all the wire supports, hog ring anchors and whatnot from the old seat covers to use in the new ones. Of course, making upholstery requires a sewing machine, which isn't cheap; and one robust enough to do upholstery will be even more expensive. By the time you get done, it will probably have been less expensive to find a cheap upholstery shop to make new covers for you.

If you're looking for slip-on covers, then the easiest option there is to go down to your local auto parts store, WalMart, etc. and look at what's on the shelf. Using the pictures on the boxes, choose the set that looks most like the seats you have. They won't fit very well, but they will be better than sitting on torn foam.

I'm guessing that you've already done that, however, and aren't happy with the generally sloppy fit of the best covers you could find. In that case, you'll need to customize them. Spend some time tugging and pulling and fiddling until you get them looking half decent. Then you can sew in gathers, piping and stablizing straps with little more than a heavy-duty needle and a spool of thread from WalMart's sewing aisle. That will probably be your fastest, cheapest option.

Whatever you do, take lots of pics and bring us along on your project.
    Dr_Snooz

"I like to take hammers, and just break stuff, just break stuff." - Beavis

1989 Honda Accord LX-i Coupe, 240k miles, MT swap, rear disc swap

Shop manual downloads available here: CLICK TO VIEW

Vehicle
    87 Accord DX

Im telling you, if youre messing with seats, you will probably have to release your inner grandma